Author Topic: Big Dogs versus Little Dogs  (Read 12014 times)

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
Re: Big Dogs versus Little Dogs
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2005, 02:00:34 am »
Well, I have my new Dane pup, Willow; Irie, my 5 yr old 10 lb pom, and Gunner, my 5 lb male POm....  Irie is my baby..  I helped birth her and hand fed her and her liter when her mother couldn't...she is my baby..  But my other two I love also.  The Poms are the 1st small dogs I have ever owned....  I grew up with large to med sized dogs all my life.  I didn't even think I really liked small dogs till I got one.  The are sweet and cuddly and easy to pick up and move around...  They do however throw major tude.  Gunner thinks he is a very big dog and I will have to say that if they weighed 50lbs more they would be deadly.  I would be very afraid.

I think most little dogs don't have to learn a lot of manners because the damage they inflict is on a much smaller scale then a larger dog.  And You can pick them up and move them if they are misbehaving... .But I like to sometimes put myself in theur shoes.  I would be mean and nasty if everytime I was in the process of doing something or just resting some 2 legged creature came over and just picked me up and moved me just because...

I do not trust them with kids and most kids want to pet them because they are small and fuzzy...  I don't let kids pet them..thay do snap when threatened and they are yappy. 

Would I want one again - yep!!!  But I am having fun with my big paw and I look forward to being able to enjoy both worlds...
Timmie

Blair

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2005, 05:57:07 pm »
I have 2 big boys nad then my little boy, Diesel. I must admit I love my big dogs, and always says its not a real dog unless it is BIG LOL. I do love Diesel to death and his attitude make up for his size. I cant say a small breed is harder or easier to raise, its pretty much split. There are things that i cant stand about small breeds and then there are things I love about owning one. But I will say I will NEVER own a dog as small as Diesel [2 lbs], just way too many health problems. One of the things I dont like is Diesel isnt good with my Youngest Daughter, he isnt mean but its not like with the bigger Dogs. If she wants to pet him I have to hold him for her and I have to always make sure he is picked up when she rides her bikes or her little Jeep.  But then there is the holding him, the loving he gives me, and how he follows me everywhere, and he is easy to travel with. But I will say, I will never trade my big dogs for a small one, and after Diesel is gone, I will probably never own another small breed LOL

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2005, 09:08:02 pm »
My ex has a Chi named Maggie. All 3 lbs. And she is a total bitch, very alpha, very demanding, very much a dog. She is great to take out to dinner, her little black nose barely pokes out of the big purse, when she demands her tribute of steak. Small bites, please, I am a little lady. More...More... Enough!
She respects Tulsa, and her size, respects her space, her presence.
Tulsa lies down on her back and Maggie gnaws on her!
You can almost hear Tulsa giggle!
The bond between a big dog and a little dog is complicated.
I think it comes down to...
Let live and be loved
John
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Offline Kristen

• Ankle Biter
  • Tyrone and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2005, 03:56:37 pm »
I don't mind little dogs, but there are definite differences b/t big and small.  I have always preferred big dogs to small, but I would not have a problem with getting a small dog at some time, provided I can also have my big dog.  Actually, I am forced to get a small dog as our next dog.  My husband is not really a big dog person, and even thinks that Keiko is too big.  How is a husky (shepherd mix, but husky sized) too big?  After getting our dane, I promised him our next one would be small.  But absolutely NOOOOO poodles, his breed of choice.

Ever thought of a Klee Kai? They're sort of like mini-Sibes, lol.
Kristen & The Dog Gang
Sled dogs rule!

Sherwen- Alaskan husky
Tyrone- Alaskan husky
Kaltag "Kallie"- Canadian Inuit dog/Malamute
Jacques- Bichon frise

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2005, 08:02:23 am »
The only toy sized dog I'd ever consider getting would be a Pappilion.  That's the only one!  Then there's Mini Aussies and Corgis but I think they're too big for what your hubby would want. 
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."