Author Topic: A couple questions  (Read 2673 times)

Offline ilovebabe

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
A couple questions
« on: February 28, 2006, 07:21:26 pm »
my fiance and i recently got a 1 year old bullmastiff who is a female and i have noticed a couple things with her that i am not sure about, the first thing is that the pads on her paws are very ruff and beat up and i am curious to know if there is something i can do for that, the second thing is that she is very skinny and seems to not be gaining weight you can see her ribs we are the third family to own her and i fear that she has been poorly taken care of and poorly treated by her previous families. i need some good advice.. what can i do ??

The more I learn about people
the more I love my dog.

Offline paharts

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Guinness, Kado, Holi
    • View Profile
Re: A couple questions
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 07:36:12 pm »
posting on this forum is a great first step.  I know you will get lots of advise.  Do you have any pictures you can post of her?  It will help us get a better feel for her condition [also, we LOVE pictures :)].
Has she been to a vet recently?

As for her paws, if she's spent a lot of time outside, they will be rougher than an indoor only dog.  I've heard of people treating their dogs feet to pedicures -- soaking, lotion, etc. -- like you would if your feet were callous and rough.
We might not be able to save them all, but we sure can try - Hart's Animal Rescue & Training-Forever Home Adoptions/H.A.R.T.-FHA

kristi

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 07:37:27 pm »
Hey - I adopted a bullmastiff 2yrs ago - he was 5 & abused.
Sounds like she needs some serious lovin'!
How are her eating habits?
What does her coat look like - & her skin underneath?
Has she been to the vet yet?
Feel free to PM me...
-k.

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 10:06:26 am »
She should be wormed right away- often this will make a dog have a poor appetite  Food should be what ever she desires so it takes a little experimenting.  Try different canned foods with her dry until you find something she likes.  I also would boil up some chicken and add that to her food  I don't know of any dog that can resist chicken.  Often when you can get her into a weight gain mode then her appetite will pick up and it gets easier

Offline orion5221

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Kiahali
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 10:20:38 am »
Bag balm works really well for the pads. You can but it at mosy pharmacy's. It is normally in a green tin.
I would takea stool sample to the vet for parasites. Once you get those out of the way a high quality diet should work. Good luck, I have a bullmastiif mix puppy :)
LA & Gang

Offline ilovebabe

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 01:48:06 pm »
thanks everyone for the input! i will be taking in a stool soon just to check because she has been treated for worms recently. i am still working on getting pics does anyone know how to do it exactly;D i have babe the mastiff and a lab german sheperd mix and i had the lab first and the pad on her paws are so soft and in very good shape so maybe that is why babe feel so ruff to me. her coat is in pretty good shape she does have a few spots where there is no hair and it's like a real tuff dark almost black patch of skin.
The more I learn about people
the more I love my dog.

Offline paharts

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Guinness, Kado, Holi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 02:00:30 pm »
When you hit "reply" under the previous post, you will go to a new page where it shows the box to type in and a bunch of smileys above it that can be inserted into posts. Under this box is "Additional Options".  Click the "+" next to it and one of the things that appears is 'Attach' with a 'browse' button. Under that is a list of allowed file types (I think the most common is jpg) and the max file size (400k).  Click "Browse" then go to the directory, select the picture, and click "open".  If you want to attach a second picture, click "more attachments" and follow the same process.  [I just did the process to be sure I wrote it right :P.]

I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 02:19:58 pm by paharts »
We might not be able to save them all, but we sure can try - Hart's Animal Rescue & Training-Forever Home Adoptions/H.A.R.T.-FHA