Author Topic: Who is Alpha  (Read 4416 times)

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Who is Alpha
« on: February 28, 2006, 08:14:04 pm »
After Mack and I it is Bobo our soon to be 19 year old cat.  It has nothing to do with age and everything to do with being the meanest.  Let me tell you this cat has been evil since the day I got him over 18 years ago.  I have often said that if he were a dog I would have had to put him down long ago.  I don’t know why I accept unacceptable behavior from him but I do. 

As for the dogs we have been experiencing a shift in power.  It started when my girl friends lab pup started coming over about eight weeks ago.  The boy’s (Tucker and Scooter) started doing manly stuff like hiking their leg to pee and doing some serious chest thumping.  Miss Tyra started prancing more or being a mother hen to the boys.  She also seems to think that it is her responsibility to discipline the boys when they get to rough. 

At this point Tyra seems to have taken the alpha role from Tucker.  This was difficult for us as Tucker is our favorite; however, the fact that he is a weak dog due to all his health issue we knew this was a possibility and that we should not interfere.

So who is alpha in your house and how did they achieve their status?

Blair

Re: Who is Alpha
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 08:28:19 pm »
LOL Tina....I know what oyu mean about the skin hid  :D

Diesel was my alpha, but since his passing I have no clue. I would say Grey but I am not sure LOL Neither of the boys really try to be alpha over the other. How would I tell which one is alpha?

GR8DAME

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 08:48:22 pm »
Raven is alpha here. She is the meanest, for sure, and the most assertive, but the smallest in stature. None of the dogs can lay by her, or touch her unless she grants permission. Oddly she is the most docile with people.
Merlin is probably the second dominent, although he and Strider have faced off twice in the last week, so that could be changing.
Stella

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 09:01:00 pm »
Me and my mom are by far the alphas...Kali I think is the alpha now but Lacey still challenges her...Lacey was originally alpha but as Kali got bigger she became more dominant.  Gabby is the alpha mare in our 'herd' she beats on Penney all the time.  Hannah the cat used to be terroristic but she's settled down and Tick is a snuggle bug but territorial.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 12:18:38 am »
Princess Biatch Araby of course.  The boys are just her muscle heads that she keeps around to do her bidding.
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 12:23:23 am »
Raider-the-evil-old-gray-cat-who-has-taught-every-Newf-the-meaning-of-humble!
(and outlived them all) is for sure the alpha around here!  Next is Cowboy who seems SOOOO laid back but if Chester messes around too much, Cowboy's ire is aroused and Chester learns the meaning of smushed!  Cowboy will take him down....and then we have a humble and quiet Chester for a little while.  The other cats just stay out of the equation!

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 02:03:02 am »
What time of the month is it?.......

It's never the same for more than a day here. Zeus is Lord-of-All-Things-Shaped-like-a-Ball, and woe to any who attempt to take one for themselves.

Apollo likes to think he's the boss, but I think he's just hormonal.....A LL THE TIME. *snicker* Boy-o has more mood swings than my teenage niece.  ::) ::) I think he's just delusional and thinks that everyone should worship him the way the cat does.

Onyz seems to be coming into his own though. Not overly assertive, but he will not let the other noodle-heads bully him anymore. He's still the most laid-back by far, and it takes forever for him to be pushed across the line, but once he's had enough, look out! :o ;D

Back to As The Fur Flies......
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 10:00:26 am »
After me, then my roommate, I would say Rocco is alpha.  But when we go to my Dad's house, his 15 lb cocker mix is alpha.  When I lived at home with my Dad's dog, Rocco, and the cats; the cats were alpha.

Maia will occassionally challenge Rocco and sometimes he backs down but other times (rarely) we have a nasty sounding, sloppy, drooly, no blood, dog fight.  I don't know how they can look and sound like they are killing each other, do no harm, and be snuggled togeter five minutes later.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 01:55:29 pm »
Maia will occassionally challenge Rocco and sometimes he backs down but other times (rarely) we have a nasty sounding, sloppy, drooly, no blood, dog fight.  I don't know how they can look and sound like they are killing each other, do no harm, and be snuggled togeter five minutes later.

The Dog Whisperer guy calls those "Dog Arguments."  He said if there's blood drawn, THEN its a Dog Fight.  And since dogs live in the present, we could all take a lesson from their behaviour -- and not hold resentments!

Sarah

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 03:08:15 pm »
After me, it is most definitely Lacy, my cockatiel.  She won't take crap from any dog that enters our house (whether mine or someone elses) and will tell them what for anytime of the day.

Then it would be Keiko.  As laid back as she is, she will only be pushed so far before she's had enough and will let someone (usually Gunther) know.  Gunther is next.  Then Pasta, my other cockatiel.  I'm not sure where hubby fits in.  I tell him to spend more time with the dogs and work with them but he won't and then wonders why no one listens to him.  Keiko I believe thinks he is alpha to her, but Gunther does not and won't listen to hubby whatsoever.... ..........at least not if I'm around.

Kiahpyr

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2006, 04:00:05 pm »
Mookey my female cat is QUEEN ALPHA! Everyone must bow down to her. If not watch out! Then it's hubby, me and my daughter. Kiah is next in line. Then it's Jazmin, my other female cat. Next is Kitana (for now) and at the very bottom is my male cat Flash. Poor guy gets picked on by everyone. I spoil him rotten though.   
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 04:00:30 pm by Tajsa »

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2006, 04:24:11 pm »
Alpha. Oh goodness. I am hoping me and Will, although it would depend on which one of the dogs you ask!

Seriously though, between the dogs, Nigel and Leeloo are on top. It's hard to say whether one of them will rise above the other, because they seem not to mind being equally alpha. I guess they are alpha male and female. I wouldn't mind if Leeloo became mighty Queen of everyone, because she has a really good head on her shoulders and I am not sure I can say the same for Nigel. He just has some growing up to do. He made his way to the top by sheer size and strength alone.

will

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2006, 10:31:15 pm »
i still vote for turkey!

someday...

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2006, 12:31:48 pm »
i still vote for turkey!

someday...

Will, that "someday" might come sooner than you think... When I was trying to get up this morning, every time Zoot came over to me to say Hi, Turkey would bite his muzzle! :o

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2006, 03:38:43 pm »
After me, it's Thomas and Turbo (two cats). I don't know which one of them is alpha. Turbo likes to tell everyone else he's in charge (except Thomas), but Thomas walks around like no one is going to mess with him. He does that everywhere-other people's homes, Petsmart, etc. He walks around fluffing his tail like, "This is my place now."

So Thomas, Turbo, Sadie, Riley, then Bevo (my third cat, brother to the other two). Bevo doesn't have any dominant ambitions. He'll let the dogs know if they bug him too much, but usually, he just runs and jumps up somewhere.

My ex-boyfriend has cats, too... sisters. Macy Bean (hence the screen name that I've used for years) is dominant (was over my cats and Sadie, too; this was pre-Riley). Ilya always had to defend her number two position to Thomas and Turbo, yet she seems to think she's the queen of everyone, people included. She'll nip at you if you pet her "wrong" or stop petting her before she wants you to. Bevo would jump up on the bookcase with her and roll over, submissive like a dog. He'd "talk" to her the whole time, and she'd bat at him a couple of times, stay for a while (to show him she's still dominant, I guess), then leave. We think Bevo's just a little crazy.