Author Topic: Dog trainers (for basic obedience) What to look for?  (Read 2427 times)

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Dog trainers (for basic obedience) What to look for?
« on: March 01, 2006, 04:46:27 pm »
I know absolutely nothing about training dogs.  So....I've signed Teddy and I up for some basic obedience classes starting mid-March (he will be 9.5 wks). ;D

I want to know if there are good trainers and bad trainers for basic obedience?  (I'm used to horses and there are DEFINTELY good & bad trainers!)  I dont have much choice as I live in a rural community and there is only one person who hosts obedience classes, but what should I look for in a dog trainer?
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

GR8DAME

Re: Dog trainers (for basic obedience) What to look for?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 05:00:40 pm »
I don't know about good or bad... But there are definetly trainers out there whose philosophy and methods are not agreeable to me.
The best thing that you can do is to contact as many trainers in your area as you can, gather information as to their methods, and actually observe a class in progress. Choose the one that you feel best suits you and your dog.
I would even say, since choices are limited for you, you may want to look further afield and travel a bit to get to some one you like. A trusted trainer is worth his/her weight in gold.
Stella
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 05:05:45 pm by GR8DAME »

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 12:13:26 am »
I know absolutely nothing about training dogs.  So....I've signed Teddy and I up for some basic obedience classes starting mid-March (he will be 9.5 wks). ;D

I want to know if there are good trainers and bad trainers for basic obedience?  (I'm used to horses and there are DEFINTELY good & bad trainers!)  I dont have much choice as I live in a rural community and there is only one person who hosts obedience classes, but what should I look for in a dog trainer?
I would sit in & observe a class or two before you take your puppy to training...Als o, ask for people who have been through classes with this trainer for references...M y friend took her Boxer pup to a trainer without doing these things & found out the hard way that it wasn't the trainer for her or her beloved puppy...after the trainer broke blood vessels in the pups eyes forcing her into a down by yanking on her leash :'( >:(...Find out if the trainer believes in positive reinforcments or force as a way to train...Run the other way if it doesn't set right with you no matter how the trainer tries to justify it!...Good luck!

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 10:44:06 am »
The biggest thing for me is make sure your trainer knows all kinds of training techniques and is will ing to use them.  SO many trainers out there will only use one method, and lots of times that won't work for all dogs.  Sometimes your dog is too stubborn, or sensitive or just doesn't mesh with what the trainer is trying.  A good trainer will keep trying till they find something that works.  A bad trainer will either give up on your dog, just waste your money, or worse.
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."