Author Topic: Ripped nail question  (Read 7157 times)

Offline spikesmom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Ripped nail question
« on: March 01, 2006, 10:37:10 pm »
Well Spike ripped one of his nails it is the little one on his front paw cant remember the name. It is bleeding but not spurting or anything I dont have any styptic I put a large bandaid on it though do you think it will be ok over night? My boyfriend is on a trip and I have a broken ankle fell out of the tub and chipped a bone and tore a ligament I am in a brace and a compression cast the brace can come off so I can drive if I have to but I realy cant go anywhere tonight I took my pain medication. So I know this might sound like a dumb question but he is not going to bleed to death or anything right? I always heard that they could bleed to death from a ripped nail. Like I said it is not bleeding horrible but it is kind of ozing.
Thanks in advance for the help. I know I sound like a over worried mom but I cant help it.

Rachael and Spike

Offline spikesmom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Ripped nail question
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 10:46:52 pm »
I changed the large bandaid and it was not bleeding to bad beforeI changed it but now there is more blood on the new bandaid do you think it is because it pulled on it? Thank you I would try the onion thing but the bandaid I just put on is the last one I have in the house so I cant take it off.
Rachael and Spike

Offline spikesmom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 10:49:24 pm »
Ok I will try that.
Thanks again
Rachael and Spike

Offline spikesmom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 10:52:24 pm »
Should I also put some neosporin on it?
Rachael and Spike

Offline spikesmom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 11:02:19 pm »
Cool thanks. My mom told me flour would work to help stop the bleeding too have you ever heard of that?. I dont have any  onions. Why does this kind of stuff happen when I am alone and cant leave the house.
Rachael and Spik

Offline spikesmom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 11:05:55 pm »
I think I have tea somewhere I think. I'll look.
Goodness I need to go to the grocery store.
Rachael and Spike

Offline paharts

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Guinness, Kado, Holi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 11:08:43 pm »
I have used cornstarch on both too short of a nail clip and a neighbor who's dog completely tore his toe nail (not dewclaw) out.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 11:10:28 pm by paharts »
We might not be able to save them all, but we sure can try - Hart's Animal Rescue & Training-Forever Home Adoptions/H.A.R.T.-FHA

Icerotti

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 11:45:53 pm »
I have heard that flour will work

Offline spikesmom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 12:32:59 am »
Thanks everyone. I used flour and put some neosporin on it and 2 regular bandaids. I tried to wrap it with a paper towel and put a sock on it but those two things just happened to be the things he is most obsessed with eating. so that lasted about a min. but the bandaids seems to be holding up and it seems to have stopped bleeding. He is just laying down now so I think I will leave it alone till the morn and put more neo on it and go to the store before I take my medicine and get some real wraps and stock up on styptic pens.
Thanks again I am a big worry wart when it comes to him he is my heart. And on a ironic note the foot he ripped the nail from is his front right and the ankle I broke is my right one too.

Rachael and Spike

Offline paharts

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Guinness, Kado, Holi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 12:49:35 am »
i LOVE vetwrap. it's kinda like stick-to-itself gauze. i buy mine at the local feed [horse] store but have seen it starting to get marketed to people in the first aid section.
i also LOVE bitter apple spray. when Holi stepped in a nest of fire ants and got a huge abcess on her foot, i wrapped it with vetwrap then watched her tear it off >:(. so i wrapped it again and sprayed it; she left it alone 8). you can mix vinegar/water or cayenned pepper/water to spray on it. you can also try that stuff people put on their nails to stop chewing on them. it's a bit more expensive but should get him to leave it alone.

you both injured your right? would that be ... 2 hearts as 1? hee hee. ::) lame, i know.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 12:49:59 am by paharts »
We might not be able to save them all, but we sure can try - Hart's Animal Rescue & Training-Forever Home Adoptions/H.A.R.T.-FHA

Icerotti

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2006, 10:23:45 am »
How is Spike doing today?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 10:24:10 am by Icerotti »

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2006, 10:27:58 am »
an onion?  Really? 

I have used baking soda and water before. 

Offline spikesmom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2006, 03:08:48 pm »
He is doing good at least it is not bleeding anymore. But it does seem to hurt. I went to the store before I took my pain medication and got some more large bandaids and wrap to keep him off of it. I also got some dog asprins made by hartz I got it home and read the back and it says to give one tablet for each 15lbs. Has anyone else heard of them or used them?
Rachael and Spike

Offline paharts

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Guinness, Kado, Holi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2006, 03:22:10 pm »
we always used regular buffered aspirin. how many mg are in each pill?

Offline spikesmom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2006, 04:05:53 pm »
It says it is 81mg asprin.
and it is enteic coated not sure what that is but I think it is to keep it from hurting their tummys. I am going to give him 2 for now. if it still looks like it hurts I will give him another one later.
Rachael and Spike