Author Topic: Ripped nail question  (Read 7156 times)

Offline spikesmom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Ripped nail question
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2006, 03:13:16 pm »
Thanks for the info. I thought it was kind of over priced. It seems to be helping a little though he is sleeping now and not constantly licking it. He has ripped off all the bandages I put on though. I am just going to wipe it every couple hours to keep it clean.
Rachael and Spike

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2006, 03:34:21 pm »
If it still seems painful to him, you might consider spraying it with Bactine.  It's got a little bit of a numbing agent in it that seems to help.

That's what I kept putting on my little toe when I ripped the nail off it 3 years ago!

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline paharts

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Guinness, Kado, Holi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2006, 03:57:27 pm »
aloe for a blood stopper? i'll have to try that one.
do you just put a blob on or rub it in a bit?
We might not be able to save them all, but we sure can try - Hart's Animal Rescue & Training-Forever Home Adoptions/H.A.R.T.-FHA

Offline hairprincessnyu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2006, 11:58:29 pm »
Spikesmom-
Just wanted to say I feel for you. My kitty ripped her nail almost completly off last year and I was terrified!! The vet had to do emergency surgery and the recovery was awful! I had to  soak my poor kittie's foot 3 times a day (yes, he is a cat that HATES water) plus applying ointment, and wrapping, which lasted about 3 seconds before he kept tearing it off. I really wish I had some vet wrap around then! The drugs they gave him to fight infection and painkillers helped though. Your poor baby! I am so sorry for him  :(
Ps The buffered asprin should help. We used to give it to our Aussie for pain relief, vet told us to get it at walmart, it's cheaper.
True love is being gone all day, and coming home to a dog who licks your face.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2006, 07:02:22 pm »
Rachel how is your baby doing? I feel your pain because Bear just ripped off his front left dewclaw a few weeks back. Bandaging it and keeping it clean sucks but it will heal. There is no nail yet but it is healing nicely and he is doign great.
We're sending good thoughts and hoping for a quick recovery for both you and Spike.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline spikesmom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2006, 09:48:31 pm »
He'd doing great today like it never happend actually. He keeps ripping the bandages off but I am wiping it as much as he will let me that is. When he sees me get the stuff he tends to run. But I am keeping an eye on it.there is no swelling or anything so I think it will be ok. Thanks everyone for the good thoughts.
Rachael and Spike