Author Topic: Harry my new Affie  (Read 17721 times)

Offline affiepoodlegirl

• Ankle Biter
  • Harry
    • View Profile
Harry my new Affie
« on: March 15, 2005, 02:35:08 pm »

I am so happy to have this site.  I am new to the Afghan world and will need lots of advice.  This is Harry.  He purchased two weeks ago from a wonderful breeder in Texas.  He is 1 year and 3 months old.  I also have two Standard Poodles that share our home (oh yeah, and 5 Persian cats).
Michelle
Ollie
Oakley
Harry

Offline walnutcreekbernese

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Harry my new Affie
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 03:08:12 pm »
Wow,
Good looking of Harry - Very lovely shape and nice groom - keep up good work in grooming - I am sure Harry have found the best home with his new mom, 2 standard poodles and of course cats!!!

Could you please tell me more about Afghan Hound's personality, temperament etc because I was told from a friend that this breed is not very clever and not so smart.....I hope you would tell me more about this breed because you have owned an Afghan!

Cheers

Offline affiepoodlegirl

• Ankle Biter
  • Harry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 03:22:14 pm »
Affies are different than most dogs.  They are smart, just stubborn.  They are very cat-like.  I have not had him long, but I have done a lot of research.  Sometimes, I think he is smarter than my easy poodles.  He knows how to ignore me and get me to do what he wants!

I love this breed.  They sleep when in the house and run like the devil outside.

Michelle in Kansas
Michelle
Ollie
Oakley
Harry

Offline Terrasage

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
    • Noah's Wife
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2005, 07:56:33 pm »
I think all Affies are different, but I can tell you that Terra is just the sweetest, mildest and loving dog.  She is very tolerant of our new New Foundland puppy who likes to bite her hair and jump all over her, and she is also quite affectionate. 

Affies are not "stupid", they are less biddable than most dogs.  In other words, my border collie lives and breathes to please, Terra on the other hand, well, not so concerned unless there is a chewie involved!

As a matter of fact, Terra has outsmarted my border collie.  If Sage (BC) has a chewie, and Terra has already inhaled hers, she strategically pretends that she wants to go out by going ALMOST to the door they go out of.  Well, I'l get up to let her out, Sage drops her chewie and comes charging ahead of me and Terra to the door, Terra does a fast u-turn and grabs Sage's chewie!  Dumb?  I think not.   :D
Under the spell of Sage the Border Collie, Terra the Afghan Hound, Christine the Evil Housecat and Smoky the African Timneh Grey Parrot and now Sweet William the Newf, born 01/10/05! Support the NCA Health Challenge by shopping at The Critter Cafe: http://www.cafepress.com/crittercafe

Offline Greytmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 09:50:28 pm »
Harry is beautiful. My sister had one but he died young, he was nearly hit by a car and had a heart attack a few hours after. She had some Persans kittens at the time and he would try to climb on your lap just like the kittens. She got him as a puppy and I think he died around 3 years of age.

Toni, mom of Jessica and Oz in Australia
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 09:52:57 pm by Greytmom »
Toni

Greyhounds are great

Offline affiepoodlegirl

• Ankle Biter
  • Harry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 12:36:17 pm »
Your Greyhound is beautiful! 

What a sad story about your sister's dog.  I can't believe he did of a heart attack.  That is just aweful.
Michelle
Ollie
Oakley
Harry