Author Topic: Giant Breed Dog Crate, Cheap?  (Read 7273 times)

Offline Maggie's Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maggie, Simon and Oscar
    • View Profile
Giant Breed Dog Crate, Cheap?
« on: March 06, 2006, 04:50:15 pm »
We need a new bed(crate) for Maggie (again, and already ;)) and I was hoping someone knew where to find cheaper priced but not cheaper quality HUGE beds?  We'd like to buy this one last bed and be done with it.  Any ideas?
Stacy, Wes, and Maggie (Great Dane)

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Giant Breed Dog Crate, Cheap?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 04:51:36 pm »
Good Q.  I haven't found one yet that wouldn't cost my soul.  Hope someone here has an answer for you.
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Offline Maggie's Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 04:58:29 pm »
I've never heard of Pets Plus, is that like Petsmart or something?  I saw some there today and they were around that price, I was just wondering if there were any cheaper.

Offline Maggie's Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 06:02:12 pm »
Those are good ideas, thanks.

Dobe SDs

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 07:49:13 am »
I go to GoodWill and buy Queen or King sized comforters.  I pay about $12 for them.  With a spare or 2 on hand, if it gets soiled, I throw it in the wash and pop in another.  One of our dogs loves to have it folded "just so" but the others scratch it around and fluff it up to make their own comfy nest.
We also have a dog bed cover that lost it's innerds due to many washings (it was the shredded foam stuff), we kept the zip off cover.  Target had thick bed pillows on sale so we bought 3 of them.  We then put the pillows inside a large black plastic trash bag to keep them from getting soiled so easily.  This then slips inside the zippered dog bed cover.  Again, it's easy to wash and provides good comfort on big joints.
Good Luck!

Offline cincbcat

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 07:50:27 am »
We got our crate off EBAY. It was new and very well priced, I think it's one of the biggest crates out there. We got it for under $100 with shipping.  Worth a try! Good luck :-)

Kiahpyr

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 07:57:43 am »
We got our crate off EBAY. It was new and very well priced, I think it's one of the biggest crates out there. We got it for under $100 with shipping.  Worth a try! Good luck :-)

That's where I got mine too! It lasted through Kiah breaking out of it three times and now Kitana is using it. I think she'll always be in it. She's very destructive!

Offline Maggie's Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 12:03:51 pm »
I like the pillow idea, when she's out of the puppy stage I might try that one.  Thanks for the help guys.

Offline Sami142

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 12:26:25 pm »
I buy almost everything from Petedge...I haven't found items any cheaper anywhere!  (petedge.com)
It's a Midwest wire crate item # MW63648 (put # in search)
XL crate 48Lx30Wx33H $76.99... not sure what shipping is though.  I don't know if this is big enough for a Great Dane...good luck!

Sami, Jinx, and Rookie

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2006, 12:52:51 pm »
We have gotten a few bed beds at Oddlots and BJ's wholesale club.  Unfortunately, Harley seems to prefer our couch.

Offline nickerbokker

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • i'm a big boy now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2006, 11:36:20 am »
yep...i just got one off of ebay.  brand new, div. and all for 50 bucks, and 30 shipping.  can't wait till i get in...lol.  angus will finally have a "jail" lol
NICKI

Offline ZoesMama

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2006, 11:47:30 am »
We got our crate from J-B Wholesale (www.jbpet.com) 48x30 inch crate at 99.99.
For the crate bedding....... I just made this over the weekend!  I got a twin size egg crate from the bedding department at Wal-Mart.  I got a heavy denim fabric ($1 per yard on clearance...co uld also use duck cloth) and made a pillowcase-type cover.  Cut the egg crate to fit and slip it inside the fabric cover.  I also added a waterproof pad for "just in case".  It fits perfectly and I think that the egg crate stuff is what they use in those expensive orthopedic beds.  Cheap, cheap and exactly what we needed. 

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2006, 12:00:33 pm »
If you have one nearby, Anna's Linens has those "body pillows" that are like, sixty inches long, and pillow cases to fit them. My sister throws two of those side by side on the floor for Squig, who has officially gotten big--she's finally stopped growing and started filling out and is 90 pounds now!
Sheryl, Dogless and sad