Author Topic: the Name Game  (Read 3093 times)

Offline paharts

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Guinness, Kado, Holi
    • View Profile
the Name Game
« on: March 07, 2006, 10:08:50 pm »
Our 'kids' are: Holi [tri-color female basset], Kado [black male dane], Rosie [tri-color female foster beagle], Yoshi [seal-point male cat], Gabby [fluffy black female cat], Dusty [fluffy black female cat], Khaki [tan female dutch bunny], Pepper [dark grey fe/male :o dutch bunny], Boxer [liver chestnut Tennessee Walker gelding], Joe [painted Walk-Aloosa gelding].

Just this past Saturday, we were given a 3 year old brindled apricot OEM. The name he came with is Elvis. We are not fond of this name :-\.  Do you have any ideas for us?

Chillin' in the kitchen

Checkin' out a new yard

Posing with new Dad and new-bro Kado
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 10:11:53 pm by paharts »
We might not be able to save them all, but we sure can try - Hart's Animal Rescue & Training-Forever Home Adoptions/H.A.R.T.-FHA

Offline paharts

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Guinness, Kado, Holi
    • View Profile
Re: the Name Game
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 10:32:52 pm »
this guy is a big goof :P ::)
i saw him this morning out in the yard laying on his back and biting his back feet; not unlike a baby who puts his feet into his mouth 'just because he can'.
he snorts like a pig when he's smelling for anything.
enjoys chewing bones and ropes.
doesn't even think about messing with the cat that slapped him [Yoshi] but will chase the one's that run away.
if he thinks he can get away with something, he will try.
like a typical oem, he always keeps me in view.

comes from a family with 3 girls ages 5y - 12m & was great with them.
weights 170# and wears a 30" chain, which won't fit if he gets any bigger.

Some of the names we've come up with so far:
Reese's Peanut Brindle
L.B. [i.e. Large Body]
Mongo
Fudge Ripple
Falco [of Neverending Story]
Mochaccino
Morpheus [of Matrix]
Te'alc [of Stargate]
Guiness [beer]
Porterhouse [beer]
Nemo
Pumba
Mufasa
Sherman [of Rocky/Bullwinkle or a tank]
We might not be able to save them all, but we sure can try - Hart's Animal Rescue & Training-Forever Home Adoptions/H.A.R.T.-FHA

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 10:51:51 pm »
Does he already know his name?...If so, I wouldn't change it...He is already going through some major changes in being rehomed with you...If he doesn't know his name, it's funny you should mention Rocky & Bullwinkle...W e were going to name Samson Bullwinkle but when we got to meet him he was no Bullwinkle...l ol...How about Bullwinkle...B ull for short? :)

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 11:10:04 pm »
I was going to say, Guiness sounds similar to Elvis  2 syls and ends in "es".  :)
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 06:13:52 am »
What a handsome dude - I definitely think he suits Mongo. Though Guiness suits him quite well to.

I wouldn't worry about changing his name to be honest. If you call his new name a few times and give him a tasty treat, he'll soon learn it. Sometimes, especially if they've had a bad home, it's nice to give them a complete change so there are no bad associations for him.

I adopted a chow many moons ago now and his old name just didn't suit him. We called him Taz and after 2 days he wouldn't even respong to his old name.

Offline roxygirl

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 07:13:46 am »
He sure is a handsome boy! I like guiness, that is a great name. I would day go ahead and change his name but if you can keep it close to Elvis it would probably be easier on him. THanks for sharing the picturesof your "zoo crew"
Kim   :)
Kim
Great Lakes Mastiff Rescue,Inc.

kristi

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 10:47:52 am »
OMG- I am soooo loving him! :-*
He's great!
I like Guiness... he looks like a pint of Guiness! or a gallon in this case!
I agree with the others as far as similarity & sound if your going to change his name - he'l take to it quicker.
He was just given to you? Lucky for him! It sounds like he's come to a very wonderful home!
-k.

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 12:01:00 pm »
i agree with the similarity, but I had a dog that's nmame was ZOE for a male, and we re-named him Sammie sorta the same! I like the name Mongo best tho.

Leah
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline paharts

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Guinness, Kado, Holi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 12:26:50 pm »
so far it sounds like Mongo and Guiness are the favorites.

any other suggestions out there?

Offline paharts

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Guinness, Kado, Holi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2006, 11:32:44 pm »
i told my husband [who brews his own beer] about what ya'll have been saying and he sent me a text message to my phone.  it read: Guiness ~ Brewmaster's Full-Bodied 'n' Stout. when we get a female brindle, we can name her AmberBock cuz bock is a dark beer

the part that jumped out at me the most is "when we get".  he didn't say if :) think i've got him hooks on BPs?

here is a new picture of him & Kado. and as i type this, kado is on the couch in the same spot and i am on the other end. elvis/guiness/mongo just climbed on the couch, sat on me and put his head on kado's rear. they are already sleeping again.  i SO wish someone was here to take a picture!!