Author Topic: How would you handle it?  (Read 5924 times)

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
How would you handle it?
« on: March 06, 2006, 04:21:58 pm »
How would you handle4 a bad mannered dog at the park?  Some (usually goldens :() are bad with other dogs and most people will do somethig about their dogs if something comes up but how do you handle the ones that don't?  Sun morning i took my son with me to the dog park because he likes to run around throwing balls for our dog.  While there he got grabbed by a great dane.  He wasn't roughed up and clearly the young dog/puppy was just trying to play but what I don't get was the owners attitude.  She said "he's ok" in reference to my son after her dog grabbing him and then proceeded to tell me that she didn't stop her fdog because she thought it was going to bite HER son instead of mine!  First of all, shouldn't you keep a closer eye on your dog when you know it bites kids?  There are usually kids in the park with their dogs and on this day there were several.  Second, why if you know your dog has this issue, don't you train it instead of blaming your son for knowing better than to run around her (the dog).  I honestly didn't know what to say to this woman.  She never even raised her voice to tell the dog to stop!  Nor did she hurry over to make sure her dog didn't do serioius harm to my son.  What's worse, there most of the kids there were toddlers or just over so what if your dog had been "just playing" with one of them?  My son had two teeth marks and a scratch on his arm but it could have been worse!  I just don't know what to do with people like that!  >:(

Sorry, needed to vent a bit.  Any suggestions about how to handle her next time?  She's a regular so unfortunately she and her ill-mannered dogs will be back.
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Kiahpyr

Re: How would you handle it?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 04:27:38 pm »
I'm sorry you had to go through that. It sucks that people don't train their dog not to bite even their own kid. I don't have any advice and this probably doesn't help, but our doggy playgroup doesn't allow kids. It stinks because I know my daughter would love to play with all the dogs. However, I do understand the reasoning behind it. We're getting a true dog park hopefully in April and I'm not sure if they'll allow kids or not. Good luck next time. 

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 04:29:02 pm »
You know...people can be totally clueless at times specially when animals are concerned. I get angry most of the time when we go to the dog park because of the attitude of the dog owners. If my child or dog had been bitten (even in playing)I would have wanted to say something but probably wouldn't have.  >:( Like you I often don't know what to say at that moment. I surely would have called my best friend, my husband and my mom to vent and then come here where I know people would understand.  ;)
I'm sorry you had this encounter. Hopefully the next time you run into this woman she'll have the common sense to take control of her animal.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 04:42:14 pm »
Quote from: Kelly89084 What's worse, there most of the kids there were toddlers or just over so what if your dog had been "just playing" with one of them? [quote

I've been to several dog parks around Houston and I've RARELY seen kids.  In fact, I don't think I've EVER seen anyone under the age of 18 out with their dog.  Why would you take your toddler to a dog park?  Toddlers are just the right size for herding, you know? 

As for the lady with the "playful" great dane -- she's the reason The Dog Whisperer is making so much money (and he's worth every penny!).  People try to treat their dogs like another child, and THEY'RE NOT CHILDREN.  They're dogs. Wonder what she would have done if one of the kids had walked up to her kid and sunk his teeth into her kid's arm?

Maybe you could suggest a good trainer for her -- you know, in a really SWEET way.  Tell her you heard from BPO that Danes need "special attention."  In fact, I mentioned BPO to a guy at the park the other day, cause he has a puppy dane and he seemed really interested to know there were people here who had experience raising Great Danes.

Stupid dog park lady.
Sarah

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 04:48:58 pm »
I usually get after my son for running unless we're the only ones there or I know the other dogs.  He's 7 1/2 btw.  What ticked me off is that she knew the dog had issues with biting and yet does nothng to fix the problem and the fact that she just sort of blew the whole thing off.  Hello!  Your dog bit someone!  It's serious and should be treated that way.  Especially with such a large dog.  and what if Holly or any other dog had taken issue to her boy being "played with" in such a manner?  i'm sure she would have been upset about the time my dog sank her teeth into her dog.  Nice to know Holly is so protective of us btw.  ::)

Sorry, i've been holding it in so I need to let it out. ;)
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 07:18:43 pm »
It depends on how nasty you want to get but next time you could tell her that if her dog bite's your child or anyone else's child that you are calling animal control.  The dog will be impounded for 10 days and she will have to pay a fine and to bail her dog out of puppy prison.  Then you could ask her if she would like to train her dog not to grab people or would she like someone else to do it for her.  Then it's been made perfectly clear to her that a mouthy dog is unacceptable. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 08:15:37 pm »
I think I would have said something about her controlling her pet.  If she got snotty, I would have let her know that I was getting in touch with animal control and the authorities.  <I liked KFC's answer too> We ALL love animals or we wouldn't be on BPO.  But no one, fur or skin is going to hurt my son if I can do ANYTHING to prevent it.  I would have questioned her why she would bring her dog into a public area like that if he is unstable enough to bite her OWN son...I don't know, maybe I am not tactful enough, but while I wouldn't go postal, I certainly wouldn't walk on eggshells.  He didn't do damage to YOUR son THIS time...what who knows about next time with someone elses child.  Scary thought.  I would just be careful around them from now on.  Best of luck! :)
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 08:19:59 pm »
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this happened at a dog park.  I would hate to see that dog as an adult if she can't teach it bite inhibition now while it's still young.

If you see her again (b/c like you I would have been dumbfounded until we/she left) and see the dog acting a bit too rambuctious, I would simply ask her to leave (get someone to help you if needed) for the safety of the other children.  That kind of behavior is completely unacceptable when children are present.

We don't have that many kids that frequent our park and the parents usually make sure they stay on or near the benches to avoid injury.

But believe me, if that happened a second time to my kid, I would be disciplining the dog myself if the owner is just going to stand there.  If you can't handle your own dog, then don't get one, especially one that might outweigh you.  You have every right to vent on this.  I cannot believe some people.

Offline mtaig12

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 08:45:49 pm »
My kids have visited dog parks, and they know that it's not for them, it's for the dogs! So my kids don't run around (bacause they may get chased), and they know to stay within an arm's reach of me while in the dog park. Outside the dog park, then the dogs are within arm's reach and the kids can run around. It's part of protecting both my kids and my dogs.

My dogs would never hurt my kids, but other people's dogs may not be used to children and may not react predictably. Having said that, it always happens that the friendliest dog takes a liking to my son, and follows him around trying to lick him (which my son doesn't like!).

But I think that woman needs to take responsibility for her dog and apologize! Good luck avoiding her in the future!
Tracy and Mike - parents
Alex and Ian - kids
Max and Star - canines
Oscar and Emily - felines
Nibbles - hamster
North Carolina

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 08:51:54 pm »
None of our dog parks allow people under 18 unsupervised, and NO CHILDREN UNDER 8 AT ALL.  Personally I think it's a wonderful policy, not only to protect children, but to protect the dogs.
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

DakotaMom

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2006, 10:52:25 pm »
Our local dog park does not allow children under 12. It is as much for the safety of the kids as it is the dogs.

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2006, 01:04:59 am »
All of our local dog parks are part of the children's park/play area so even if the kids aren't going into the fenced area, they are still at risk of being biten just walking around the playground or sidewalks.  If a dog can't get along with kids and/or  bites them "just playing" then they shouldn't be allowed at the dog park.  It is/was the kid's park first.  Personally, I would never tolerate that kind of behavior from any pet of mine and I see no reason for others to do so.  I don't allow my kids to harrass the dogs, the dogs shouldn't harrass my kids.

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2006, 01:05:47 am »
I had an experience almost as bad as that. our new dog park is really nice, but i really feel bad for the people with pits or rotties or dobers. (or akitas, or chows, the list goes on). any way, one day there was this sweet little pit bull, and she was playing really nice with all the dogs, and tollerated the rude dogs well. her owner was great too, if the dog got to rough she would correct her. if she wandered too far, the dog was called back. other ppl at the park noticed she was "very well behaved for a pit bull", but said if she got near their dog, they would be "very unhappy". i was really mad for the owner when a doberman owner said he didn't trust pits. a DOBERMAN owner!!!! shouldn't they understand most of all what it is like having a misunderstood breed like that? and that same day, a couple cops walked by and they came in to play with the dogs on their lunch break. they were talking to me when Shasta (the pit) ran up and stared playing w/ my westie and my "others". the owner followed soon after, and was automatecally questioned under the phrase "there was a brown dog that attacked someone last night-was it yours?" i was so mad i wanted to just kill that officer!!! i tried to stand up for the guy, but the cops said "please miss, we are handling this" handling what? we were all doing fine until they came up, and they had no right to accuse any one. it was so upsetting, and i am sad to say that Shasta has never been seen at the dog park since then. we all miss her-we even talked about how she was a good influence on OUR dogs!

This is not nearly as bad as someone getting bit, but dog parks are home to many wrong doings of the dog world :(  i wish they served as a good place for dog people to meet and talk, while their dogs play. that was the reason for building a dog park-right?

I hope this kinda makes sense, it is late (4 me!)and i have to get up at 4 tomarrow, so i will see y'all later!

Leah
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2006, 08:09:34 am »
All of our local dog parks are part of the children's park/play area so even if the kids aren't going into the fenced area, they are still at risk of being biten just walking around the playground or sidewalks.  If a dog can't get along with kids and/or  bites them "just playing" then they shouldn't be allowed at the dog park.  It is/was the kid's park first.  Personally, I would never tolerate that kind of behavior from any pet of mine and I see no reason for others to do so.  I don't allow my kids to harrass the dogs, the dogs shouldn't harrass my kids.

I understand what you're saying about the biting.  Totally understand, however what if a dog is otherwise fine, just scared of children?  They can't go to the park?  Plus, it's for their safety, as kids might get in the middle of two dogs playing or running and get trampled.  Or even though you don't let your kids harrass dogs, other parents might not keep a tight rein on their kids, or (As I've seen at my dog park alot) a kid who's been told they "Have a way with animals" goes up to any dog and tries to pet it or have it follow them, or "Teach it a trick."  Plus kids trying to play with strange dogs, strange dogs playing back and the kid gets hurt.  I just don't think that it's a good idea.
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

GR8DAME

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2006, 09:26:34 am »
This is part of the reason that we do not do dog parks. Although my dogs are "good" woth kids, and raised with a multitude of children in and out all the time, I do not trust other people's kids to be "good" with my dogs. Therefor I set up play dates with people and animals that I know well and avoid the entire scene. Besides which, I can't afford repeated bail.
Stella