Author Topic: Can Newfoundlands have Irritable Bowel Syndrome?  (Read 4897 times)

Offline shelebo

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Can Newfoundlands have Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
« on: February 28, 2006, 11:48:58 am »
Hello everyone!  I have a 1 year-old landseer newfie (I know I need to upload a cute picture of him) and he seems to have a very sensitive digestive tract.  It seems like every time we go away for a weekend he has diarrhea when we come home.  I've been careful to not change his food or treats so I'm not sure what to make of it.  I don't think it is anything serious, because it only happens when his routine changes.  I was wondering if anyone else has had experience with this?

Thanks!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Can Newfoundlands have Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 12:15:19 pm »
I'm not too sure about IBS in Newfs, but I know my two get loose stools fairly regularly.  A couple of tablespoons of canned pumpkin (NOT the pie pumpkin....the plain pumpkin) puts every thing back to normal in a day.  I've actually been working on varying their diet more often so their systems will get used to changing and will be better able to adapt. It seems to be working and they are much more interested in their meals since we've been doing that.

Good luck...and post those pics!!! ;) ;) ;)

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 12:23:36 pm »
I agree with Newflvr, I don't know if it's IBS but Drake has loose stools pretty regularly.  When it gets really bad, we mix white rice into his kibble.  That seems to get him back on track.  I must say though, his stools are never rock hard logs.  Ok, yuck...  :P
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline galaxybears

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • chins n newfs
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 02:12:30 pm »
Our Kitten often had sloppy poo's and we were on the verge of changing his food, since we had stopped all treats and he was still like it.

Then someone on another board said their vet had told them to add fibre to their dogs diet as he probably wasn't getting enough. So we added fibre to Kitten's food and hey presto, he is sooo much better ;). Much easier to pick up now :D
Shelley
Mum to Molly, Honey and Kitten
RIP my darling Bronte

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 02:15:45 pm »
Yes, dogs can get IBD.  Here is a link:  http://ibscrohns.about.com/cs/ibdincatsdogs/a/ibdcatsdogs.htm

I was just checking it out because Tyra and Scooter have both had soft stools with mucus in them this week. 

If you do a "google" search you will find lots of information.

Cindy

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 02:53:11 pm »
Just a thought - you said he gets like this after you go away for a weekend. Do you take him with you? If so just try taking some water from home with you for him to drink. We used to get a dog in the kennels and his owner used to bring a huge jerrican of tapwater from home for him or the poor dog would have diahorrea.

Offline shelebo

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 07:32:51 am »
Thanks to everyone for your advice.  I tried a couple of tablespoons of canned pumpkin yesterday and he loved it.  However, this morning I was awoken by a sick puppy.  He isn't eating anymore and is moping around.  We are going to the vet as soon as they open.

I will let everyone know what he says.

Thanks again!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 10:15:20 am »
OHHH!  I'm so sorry!  Let us know what the vet says!!! :-[

Offline shelebo

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 07:58:59 am »
Well.  The vet ruled out parasites and she thinks it is stress colitis.  She said to try feeding the canned pumpkin.  We went on a short weekend trip and I fed him pumpkin with his food.  It actually worked!  We are very excited:)

Kiahpyr

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 08:15:01 am »
That's great! I'm happy that you found something that worked.