Author Topic: Help - my dog is biting  (Read 3944 times)

Offline Spiritualitygirl

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Help - my dog is biting
« on: March 06, 2006, 08:43:02 pm »
Hi everyone,

I need help desperately.  My dog, Rocky, is a 1 1/2 year old Alaskan Malamute.  He lives with my parents because I can't take him - I live in a small apartment.  Twice Rocky has bit my dad - once when dad was trying to get him away from food he pulled off the table, this time he bit dad when dad was trying to grab his collar to stop him from running around the house.

In all honesty, the dog has no discipline.  I tried to take him to obedience school but my parents wouldn't come with me, which defeated the purpose.  The dog eats people food and gets pretty much whatever he wants.

My thought is he is trying to be the alpha male so that's why he's biting my dad.  We are discussing putting him down at this point, which makes me sad because I feel like this isn't the dog's fault.

Can anyone help?  You can post here or e-mail me at Spiritualitygi rl@comcast.net.

Thanks,
Mary
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 08:51:21 pm by Spiritualitygirl »

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Help - my dog is biting
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 10:02:53 pm »
The main thing is that your not going to get anywhere unless your parents get involved.  There have been a couple of recent threads on aggression issues and about alpha bootcamp and other techniques to gain dominance over the dog.  My favorite method is the dog psychology method that Cesar Milan uses on the show the Dog Whisperer on the National Geographic Channel. 
     The main thing is to make him earn everything he gets.  No attention, food, or treats until he does something.  Your father should make him sit before he feeds him.  And I'd cut off the people food until he gets his manners. Also you need to catch him right before the act and correct him then...if you don't want him running around the house you stop it right as he begins to get anxious.  But I strongly urge you to look into Cesar Milan's show and gaining dominance over him.
    If you don't have access to the show I can give you more details of his methods.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 10:23:27 pm »
I agree.  The dog is the one running the household, and unless your parents want to take control, things are not going to get any better.

I would immediately stop feeding him people food until he learns some manners, if even then. I agree to start him on NILF (nothing in life is free.......... he must perform a trick/command before he gets or does anything, including eating/going outside,playing,getting a treat,etc)

If you can get your parents to take him to an obedience class it may help not only the dog, but them understand how things must work.  Sometimes people have to be shown how to do things before they will change. 

If they do not want to work with him or help in any way, and it appears you cannot take him b/c of your living situation..... ........please consider a rescue or re-homing instead of putting him to sleep.  Especially if it is just a behavior issue and not actual aggression (you would probably want to talk to a behaviorist to make sure.......but it sounds like a behavior issue to me)

Offline Spiritualitygirl

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 04:07:29 am »
Thank you both so much for your responses.  I definitely don't want to put him down!  I love Rock a lot - I wish I could take him but his howling would get me evicted.  (Trust me, I thought about it.) 

I'm going to continue to talk to my parents.  I think this can be a huge learning experience for all of us.

Please keep the responses coming - I'm learning a lot.

Mary

Offline Spiritualitygirl

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 04:08:58 am »
Hey Chaos,

Can you give me more information on the Cesar Milan show?  I don't have access to it.

Thanks,
Mary

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 09:02:21 am »
He has a website with information both on his methods and his show
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/dogwhisperer/
There is also another that is the website for his training center http://www.dogpsychologycenter.com/

His main technique is for you to become alpha and be calm and assertive to get a dog with a stable mind.  It's all based off of pack dynamics. They have to earn affection and you should never give affection when there unstable(anxious, fearful, aggressive).  The main part is daily walks, it helps get rid of energy in a productive way.  Backyards aren't helpful because they aren't getting out of their area or learning their position. 

The leash should be high on the dog's neck and they can be either even of behind your leg never in front.  You should always be first the first through the doorway to assert your dominance.  While your walking you have to share a calm assertive energy.... picture yourself as any dominant persona and be that person.  The leash should be held lightly in one hand and just as the dog starts to misbehave they should get a quick sharp reprimand with the leash...if they're really bad such as showing aggression or aren't focusing on you... give the correction, a shhhht, and/or a bump with your leg to snap them out of it. 
    The walk is the main part...the rest kind of follows.  If you get the chance to watch a clip and see his techniques yourself you should because it'll show you the exact point for getting after him and some other stuff you should see before you try.
    And remember if it doesn't work out try a rescue or bring in a behaviorist to work with your parents in their home.
   Hope this helps if you need any clarification feel free to ask.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare

Offline mal-coholic

• Ankle Biter
  • My beloved mal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 09:12:14 am »
chaos270 I completely agree, but i must mention it's the hardest thing to obtain in this breed, since they're "designed" to pull. U know, it's what they've been doing for the past centuries.
Altough i agree and work on it as well (correct walking my dog), sometimes i just think that i'm trying to change its very function.

Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure.

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 09:44:59 am »
Hey Chaos, 

Thanks for posting the Cesar Milan info as I am need of implementing those techniques with my newly acquired rescue.... and though I already apply the NILF  method with my other two pups with most things... I unfortunately don't do it across the board (exiting door first, sit before being let out) and your post reminded me to "get it together!" :)

Do you happen to know when his book is scheduled for release? I heard it was sometime this spring...

Thanks,
Rachel

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 01:13:16 pm »
As far as being bred to pull they don't have to do it...I'd also suggest maybe a gentle leader to help out.  I have one for each of my two and they're almost perfect when I have them on.  Right now I'm using the Cesar Milan method mainly on my aussie because she was getting aggressive even with us but it's turned her around...and she's a lot calmer than she used to be.  Thye main thing is that you guys have to be the leaders in the pack because they are a very pack orientated breed and will take the alpha role when they can.

The book comes out on April 4th...I believe Amazon is taking orders already.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare