Author Topic: anyone heard of Euchee Creek Mastiffs  (Read 14605 times)

Offline paharts

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Guinness, Kado, Holi
    • View Profile
anyone heard of Euchee Creek Mastiffs
« on: March 07, 2006, 11:02:53 pm »
The OEM we were just given orginally came from them and I can't seem to find any info on them, good or bad.  Here is their website:
http://www.eucheecreekmastiffs.com

I sent them an email a week ago asking 5 questions about their dogs but have not gotten a reply so am wondering what others have experienced.

Thank you for any advise,
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 11:07:05 pm by paharts »
We might not be able to save them all, but we sure can try - Hart's Animal Rescue & Training-Forever Home Adoptions/H.A.R.T.-FHA

Gypsy Jazmine

Re: anyone heard of Euchee Creek Mastiffs
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 11:11:27 pm »
The OEM we were just given orginally came from them and I can't seem to find any info on them, good or bad.  Here is their website:
http://www.eucheecreekmastiffs.com

I sent them an email a week ago asking 5 questions about their dogs but have not gotten a reply so am wondering what others have experienced.

Thank you for any advise,
Your link didn't work...Here is the link that will get you to their site. :) Good luck with your new doggy!
http://www.eucheecreekmastiffs.com/

Offline paharts

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Guinness, Kado, Holi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 11:15:00 pm »
for some weird reason, BPO is putting a bunch of 'stuff' in front of the address. might need to cut/paste www.eucheemast iffs.com into the address bar
thanks a lot Gypsy :D
We might not be able to save them all, but we sure can try - Hart's Animal Rescue & Training-Forever Home Adoptions/H.A.R.T.-FHA

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 11:22:36 pm »
for some weird reason, BPO is putting a bunch of 'stuff' in front of the address. might need to cut/paste www.eucheemast iffs.com into the address bar
thanks a lot Gypsy :D
Yw!...It was correct when I pasted it to my post...Wierd! :-\

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 11:23:42 pm »
Never heard of them.  I browsed their site a little bit and PERSONALLY I wouldn't get a dog from them.  #1 from the pics they have you can't get any idea of conformation, except for this one

And it's obviously not flattering.  Also the whole "We did do showing but now we feel we should stay at home", says TO ME (Not saying this is the case, just what pops into my head) that they showed and their dogs didn't do well.  They say that their dogs are OFA certified but don't say how the were graded (ie:  Good Excellent ect.)  They also dont say any other tests that they've done.  In essence, this whole paragraph.

"We know the problems with hips that abound in mastiffs. We work hard at choosing mastiffs which come from good lines without hip problems. So far as we know, none of the puppies we have sold have ever had hip problems. We are careful to feed them good quality feed and to provide appropriate vitamins at the right times.  We use up-to-date medical advice and our own experience to guide our work with our mastiffs. "

Also, the lines that they proudly brag about are what I like to call "Washed out".  They were once famous with great dogs, but they're so overused, and from such a long time ago, that it's like saying my great to the 2,395th power grand uncle was George Washington.  Does that make you anything like George Washington?  No.  Is there any likelyhood you will resemble him?  Probably not.  Also they say that they're IN their lines, not how recent they are. 

Like I said, I don't know anything in particular about this breeder, these are just the things that popped out to me.  OH that and that there are no pics of their "Family raised" mastiffs in the house, and the dog in the pic I posted has elbow callouses, something that is USUALLY (I say usually because Tenchi has them and that dog hasn't slept on anything harsher than a couch his whole life) attributed to having to lie on hard surfaces, Ie, the ground or concrete, for extended periods of time.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 11:25:38 pm by Anky »
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 11:31:06 pm »
Never heard of them.  I browsed their site a little bit and PERSONALLY I wouldn't get a dog from them.  #1 from the pics they have you can't get any idea of conformation, except for this one

And it's obviously not flattering.  Also the whole "We did do showing but now we feel we should stay at home", says TO ME (Not saying this is the case, just what pops into my head) that they showed and their dogs didn't do well.  They say that their dogs are OFA certified but don't say how the were graded (ie:  Good Excellent ect.)  They also dont say any other tests that they've done.  In essence, this whole paragraph.

"We know the problems with hips that abound in mastiffs. We work hard at choosing mastiffs which come from good lines without hip problems. So far as we know, none of the puppies we have sold have ever had hip problems. We are careful to feed them good quality feed and to provide appropriate vitamins at the right times.  We use up-to-date medical advice and our own experience to guide our work with our mastiffs. "

Also, the lines that they proudly brag about are what I like to call "Washed out".  They were once famous with great dogs, but they're so overused, and from such a long time ago, that it's like saying my great to the 2,395th power grand uncle was George Washington.  Does that make you anything like George Washington?  No.  Is there any likelyhood you will resemble him?  Probably not.  Also they say that they're IN their lines, not how recent they are. 

Like I said, I don't know anything in particular about this breeder, these are just the things that popped out to me.  OH that and that there are no pics of their "Family raised" mastiffs in the house, and the dog in the pic I posted has elbow callouses, something that is USUALLY (I say usually because Tenchi has them and that dog hasn't slept on anything harsher than a couch his whole life) attributed to having to lie on hard surfaces, Ie, the ground or concrete, for extended periods of time.

Ang, they already have the dog...It is a 3 yr. old that was given to them by another party...not the origional breeder...paha rts is just looking to see if anyone has any personal knowlege of the breeder. :)

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 11:34:04 pm »
And I found them here, a puppy find ish type site.

http://sales.gutrumbles.com/mastiff-puppies-for-sale.htm

and this on a Mastiff forum. 

http://www.mastiffonline.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=12291

I didn't read the whole thread, but here is the part that pertains to that particular kennel.

"any way on to my new pup. i am very certain that he is pure bred as in he wasn't cross bred on premisis as they only have mastiffs and there mastiffs are kept on a small farm like property and the stay inside these enourmous pins that if a stray did wonder by there was no way it could have gotten a female. there property is fenced and the dogs have kennels (1 for each dog) inside of a bigger encloser. the breeder them selves are called euchee creek mastiffs and can be found at http://www.eucheecreekmastiffs.com "

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 11:37:29 pm »

Ang, they already have the dog...It is a 3 yr. old that was given to them by another party...not the origional breeder...paha rts is just looking to see if anyone has any personal knowlege of the breeder. :)

Yeah I caught that.  :)  I was just saying my personal observations of the breeders from what they show on their site.  Also they say they back their pups, so they should get back to you. 

Offline paharts

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Guinness, Kado, Holi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 11:57:57 pm »
Anky, I appreciate your observations and had some similar thoughts. I think saying that picture is not flattering is being very kind ;)

when I googled them, i got lots and lots of ads and that worries me as to their reason for breeding. only breeding mastiffs doesn't exclude them from being random 'backyard breeders' in my book.

I did a search on OFFA for the 2 Ch dogs they listed as their breeding. They and many of their listed close relatives were graded Good and Fair hips and an Excellent but not many had elbows or anything else listed. Regretfully, OFFA changed their standard practice a while back so that people would have to mark a box to allow the results to be public instead of it being automatic.

I think I'm going to try emailing them again and will post if I do get a reply from them.
Everybody's input is helpful.  Thank you :)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 12:00:21 am by paharts »

Offline roxygirl

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2006, 07:21:35 am »
My Mom always said if you don't have anyting nice to say don't say anything at all! The number one thing to look for in a breeder is the testing done on their dogs. You already have this dog so at this time that point is mute. A good mastiff breeder will be a member of MCOA (Mastiff Club of America) and will follow their code of etichs which includes taking any of their dogs back if the owner can't keep them.
No matter, sounds like you have a great OEM so enjoy him  :)
Kim
Kim
Great Lakes Mastiff Rescue,Inc.

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2006, 08:16:07 am »
I used to live near Grovetown, GA and still have friends in the area.  I could have one of them go and check out the breeder themselves if you would like?
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline paharts

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Guinness, Kado, Holi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2006, 01:34:51 pm »
... A good mastiff breeder will be a member of MCOA and will follow their code of ethics which includes taking any of their dogs back if the owner can't keep them.
No matter, sounds like you have a great OEM so enjoy him :)
Kim
I have searched MCOA and they do not list this kennel. I'm also not finding any reference that they would take a dog back if there was a problem [meaning within the family or with the dog].

I don't think the original poster was looking for bad comments on this breeder. I got the impression that she was curious of anyone else's knowledge of them. Good or bad. It didn't matter. And I don't think that the statements made so far are meant to bash that breeder. They were educated observations of the website. Sometimes the written word comes out different than what we mean.

I think it is actually a good idea to look into the breeder of any dog, if you are able. This way you can have another outlet for advice on the dog or you may get an idea of any health problems that may be in the future.

Tina

Thank you very much Tina. That is exactly my goal; to learn about the family history of the dog I got and for general knowledge about the breeders. I am sorry if some comments came across badly.
Not getting a reply to the email I sent Euchee has made me nervous about them & what issues Elvis might face as he gets older.

I used to live near Grovetown, GA and still have friends in the area. I could have one of them go and check out the breeder themselves if you would like?

If it's not a problem, that would be great.
Here is the email I sent them:
I came across someone getting rid of their adult mastiff for personal reasons and they said it came from your kennel so would like to ask you a few questions.

1) Do you test your dogs for PRA?  If so, which method do you use?
2) When selling 'pet' quality, do you require spay/neuter?
3) Are you members of any breed clubs?
4) When did you start breeding mastiffs?
5) What main attributes do you breed for?

Since the owners were not the breeders, I felt it best to contact you directly to get a 'feel' for this guys family history.
I greatly appreciate your taking the time to answer my questions.
Kindest regards, Katy

I do consider myself very lucky to have been chosen to be his mommy & will not give him up for anything.

Offline roxygirl

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2006, 08:29:40 pm »
I think it is safe to assume that you won't be getting a reply. Some breeders simply don't breed for the right reasons and once the pup is sold they no longer care. I am not saying that this particular breeder is that way however I think if they had done all of the testing and such that they would have emailed you back in a  heartbeat. As for what the future holds for your new addition only time will tell. Just take the best care of him that you can by providing a loving home along with moderate exercise and a high quality diet and spoil the heck out of him  ;D
Kim
Great Lakes Mastiff Rescue,Inc.