Author Topic: New to site  (Read 3428 times)

Offline megsat

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
New to site
« on: March 07, 2006, 03:05:22 pm »
Hi! I'm new to the site and I love it! I have two dogs, a husky-rot mix and a doberman/german shepard/rot mix. They are crazy!

I love them like children...so much that I created Snailers with them on it to send to all my friends. Ha. It's like proud parents putting their kids on their holiday cards.

I do have an issue with them fighting each other for dominance (both female). Does anyone else have this problem? We have a pretty good handle on it, but I'm always open to other insight. Maybe there is a thread on the site already? I haven't found it yet.

Love the site.

Meg

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: New to site
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 03:12:43 pm »
Hi Meg! I'm so glad that you found our site. Your fur babies sound so cute and I can't wait to see pictures of them. My name is Jaime & I am owned by a 3 year old Newf named Bear. Hope to hear more from you soon.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline megsat

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 03:42:49 pm »
Wow! Look at all the love on this site  ;D Thanks for the quick responses. I didn't know how to post the pix, but I think I do know, so hear they are...

I've tried the yelling really loudly. Doesn't work so well...unless I catch them in the stage right before the fight. Luckily, they only fight every 6 months or so now.

You'd never believe by looking at them how ferocious they can be with each other (never towards people and not usually towards other dogs).

Offline megsat

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 03:45:02 pm »
PS...can someone please tell me how to put a picture in my profile, which, I assume is what I need to do to have it posted on the top left of my messages? I'm a technical writer...and I can't seem to figure it out. Feeling dumb! ???

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 03:46:58 pm »
awww they are cuties!   Welcome!  My name is Rachel and I have a 3 year old mastiff mix.

You can add a picture (called an avatar) by clicking the link on the right that says profile and then I think you have to clik on forum profile.  There is a field that allows you to upload a picture.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 03:47:15 pm by Rachel »
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 05:34:26 pm »
Hello and welcome!

My name is Chris and I am owned by Keiko, a husky/shep mix, and Gunther, my great dane.

One reason I didn't bring any more females into my home is b/c I wanted my current female to remain the dominant (since she is fairly submissive, I knew if I brought in another female she would get bumped down)  So I've never had two females before.  But, if this fighting happens about every 6 months or so (I'm assuming both are spayed) I don't think it's going to stop.  It sounds like they are both fairly dominant females, and both want to be the top dog. 

One thing that may help (or may not) would be for you to choose for them who is dominant by feeding that one first, petting that one first and doing everything with that one first before the other.  Sometimes dogs just need the alpha (you) to show them where they stand in the pack, instead of them figuring it out for themselves.

Offline cuttles/sadieMay

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 09:07:48 am »
Welcome to BPO I think you will love it here!
Great people and lots of wonderful advice!
Unfortunately I dont have any advice on the fighting thing but just wanted to welcome you to the board!
My name is Carole and I am mommy to a 9 year old Collie mix named Queenie and a 5 mth old Great Dane named Kayzer.
Enjoy.
Carole

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 09:16:48 am »
Welcome to BPO and I more than know what your dealing with...our two females both fight over alpha....like my mom says never again as far as two females in the house even though it has worked for us all throughout the past it only works if you have one dominant and a laid back submissive.  We have fights at least twice a week...it's all noise and hair pulling but it can be scary.  Luckily I can go in and seperate them.  But I have to sit on our newf to get her to settle. Our aussie backs off instantly with a grab and a shove but Kali is very focussed on it.  In our case a lot of exercise helps and we can generally see it coming and seperate them.  Watch their body language with Kali she'll walk into the room with her tail in the air...and her ruff up and posturing.  That's the best way to head it off...preventi on.

Erin
« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 09:18:28 am by chaos270 »
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

kristi

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 10:12:31 am »
Hi Meg & Welcome!
I'm Kristi & the boy with the eyemask in my avatar is Sampson an 8yr bullmastiff.
You're gonna love it here... lots of info & resources!
I can't help you with any female questions, but there are plenty here who have lots of ideas for sure!
-k.
BTW- I'm curious, what are "Snailers?"  ???