Author Topic: Bloody Diarhea ?  (Read 2778 times)

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
Bloody Diarhea ?
« on: March 08, 2006, 09:08:06 pm »
My 5 year old Newfie mix Moose got sick this past week . I took him to Minnesota with me last Thursday , he ate and pooped fine until Sunday evening when he did this gigantic normal poop right in my parents' living room ( He's NEVER messed in the house before) , then at like 4 in the morning I woke up to him throwing up on the carpet , I rushed him outside where he had the "squirts" really bad . He had another nasty accident in the living room later that morning , and diarhea all day with a little bit of blood in it. I never fed him that day . By Monday night he had no more bowel movements . On Tuesday morning he never pooped , we headed for home and about 4 hours into the trip I was walking him at a rest stop and he had just a little bit of bloody diarhea and he's been fine ever since . I should note he acted totally normal all along , bouncing around like his normal self , but totally ashamed of his accidents . I never took him to the vet because I figured if he wasn't better by Tuesday then I would , but he had just that one bout . Do ya'll think it was just stress from traveling ? I took a trip down to Kansas the week before with him for 4 days and he did fine then . Maybe just too much traveling ?? I plan on more trips to MN this summer for camping , I don't want him to have to go through that again ! :'(
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Bloody Diarhea ?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 09:11:25 pm »
It sounds like something he ate.  Whatever it was, he got rid of it!  NOT a fun way to spend a weekend!  There are a lot of mushrooms out here....could he have gotten in to something like that??

Hope he's feeling better now!

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 09:27:53 pm »
Wow, that was probably NOT a fun experience for that boy!!  :(
You might just take him to the vet for a stool check to rule out intestinal parasites. The last time one of my furkids had a nasty case of diarrhea, it was coccidia. Yuck! But she wasn't vomiting. Hmm.

Yeah, it could have been stress. Does he usually have anxiety when you travel? ???

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 10:37:17 pm »
Blood in the stool might indicate hook & whipworm...Unf ortunately these types of worms don't show up in the tests they do on stool samples quite often...You might just want to treat for those type of worms. :)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 10:39:13 pm »
I don't know if you followed the thread when Cowboy had bloody diarrhea and bloody vomiting, but the thought is that he had some sort of virus.   His was violent, though, and it lasted a couple of days.  He lost his intestinal lining and had to take Nexium and a ton of other meds.  This doesn't sound like the same thing.  It might be worth just calling the vet to see if there's something going around ??? ???

Offline megaburn

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 10:42:36 pm »
Well, I must ask.  How long was it after you gave him the meds for the tape that you went on your trip?  It could have been the meds.  Some meds can make some dogs very sick.  Precautionary measure would be to talk/call your vet and ask them if that could be a side effect.  I hope he is doing better.  If he still is having issues then I would definitely have his stools checked again.

Good luck.

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 12:54:06 pm »
Bava had a bit of blood and mucus in his stool when he first had tapeworms.  Never seen it since then.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 12:59:02 pm »
I think the blood could also be just from having something that irritated his stomach so much that in expelling it the digestive track may have bled slightly.  If you don't see it any more, it must be all healed.

Fingers crossed!