Author Topic: Senghe...  (Read 2697 times)

Gypsy Jazmine

Senghe...
« on: March 08, 2006, 09:41:26 am »
Hi!...I was wondering if the book you have that you mentioned in the other thread has any pics of Great Pyrenees?...Samson & Pippin both come from working families & both still are ready, willing & able to do the job they were origionally bred for...Unfortun ately Samson was never really allowed out in the pasture with the sheep but Pippin was out there with his family & their goats before we got him...It really shows in them too...Anyway, I am wondering if you can post a pic out of your book of a Pyr for me?...Ty! :)

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Senghe...
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 10:45:43 am »
Well, would you credit it! That original book I mentioned didn't even have one photo of a Great Pyrenees. Anyway, I also have a book on the Pyrenean Mountain Dog so I've scanned you a page of that instead. Most of the photos were from the 1970's but this page has a print and a dog from th 1900's.

A great place to look, believe it or not, is on eBay as there are lots of vintage postcards etc... I had a quick look and I guarantee you if you type in great pyrenees or pyrenean, you'll find some.

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 10:55:25 am »
Does your book have a photo of an Old English Mastiff?
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 02:28:38 pm »
Ty Senghe!!...Great looking Pyrs there!...Pippin has that "classic" Pyr build & look...Samson is a bit flashier & doesn't quite have a proper coat...That 1st Pyr there looks more like a Pyrenean Mastiff to me...I think they used to consider both dogs the same breed but don't anymore...Anyw ay..ty for taking the time & trouble to post the pics for me!

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 03:10:36 pm »
Does your book have a photo of an Old English Mastiff?

Here you go. Sorry about the quality but I can't fit the book on my scanner so had to photograph the pages.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 03:12:09 pm by Senghe »

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 03:37:05 pm »
Wow!  I wonder when we decided that they needed more wrinkles and to be bigger...  Well I guess I kind of understand the bigger part of that since that is the 'American way'.  The bigger the better... which is also what we are doing to the Cane Corsos.  In Italy they are a true working breed and about 100 pounds but here we are breeding them to be huge (150 pounds or more).

Thank you so much for posting the pictures!!

I attached a picture just for comparison against today's typical Mastiff.
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog