Author Topic: Star's weight (or lack of it)  (Read 2767 times)

Offline mtaig12

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Star's weight (or lack of it)
« on: March 08, 2006, 01:08:45 pm »
I wasn't sure where to put this, so I thought I'd try here! It is time for Star's vet appointment. We have had her for a few months, she was heartworm positive and treated at her foster home, so we're due for another blood test which hopefully will say she's clear of heartworms. But I'm concerned about her weight, so while we're there I'd like to get that looked at as well (hey, what's another vial of blood, right?).

When we got Star (Great Dane), she weighed 86 pounds, and ribs were certainly visible. We didn't know exactly how much to feed her, so we started with 1.5 cups dry food twice a day. This is about twice what Max eats (60lb chow mix who's 13 years old). Star eats like she's ravenous, so we upped the food to 2 cups a feeding, still twice a day. The dogs were eating Iams weight control, for a while we slowly switched them to Eagle Pack (trying to reduce the quantity of poop!). Star is still eating 2 cups of Eagle Pack twice a day, and still acts like she's starving. I'm guessing she hasn't gained much weight, and when they weigh her at the vet's I'll know for sure.

When I take her to the vet, I want to ask all the right questions if she is underweight. Obviously, worms/intestinal parasites are a possibility. Anyone know what kind of poop sample is needed? Fresh? How fresh? Can it be frozen (if I find a lovely specimen a few days before the appointment)? Star does not poop in front of anyone, so I'd have to stalk her to get one. (Max always poops on walks, so if it were him it'd be no problem for a fresh one).

Any other ideas? She's 5 years old, if that helps. I thought maybe thyroid problems? Star does tend to eat "off limits" things, whether they're food or not (like the wrapper a piece of candy come in). But I would think an obstruction would make her eat less, not more. She has lots of energy, but does tend to drink a lot compared to Max-diabetes?

Any other ideas would be appreciated. This is more of a chronic thing, but I'd like to get it looked at sooner before it affects her quality of life (if there is anything wrong).

Thanks
Tracy
Tracy and Mike - parents
Alex and Ian - kids
Max and Star - canines
Oscar and Emily - felines
Nibbles - hamster
North Carolina

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Star's weight (or lack of it)
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 01:32:53 pm »
i don't know if this is an option, but my dog Bailey was painfully thin and no reason was found by our vet, so we switched all dogs to Diamond dry dog food, which has Omega 3 Fatty acids, and fed him smaller amounts 4 times a day and he fattened up nicely. i also mixed in 13 ounces of Pedigree canned dog food. BEEF FLAVOR that is the best quality, chicken second. feed the canned stuff twice a day (6 1/2 ounces each time.) with the dry-morning and night, the other two dry servings around 10 (ish) and 3 (ish) worked like a charm for us, ask your vet about this plan to see if they approve and agree. it may seem like a lot of food, but if there is not health reason you should feed lots, but decrease as she gains weight. if she seems full before she is done, feed less (DUH!) the next time.

hope this helps! Leah
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 03:00:37 pm »
My mom is a vet assistant so I'll ask her tonight about the fecals.  I can tell you it should be picked up right away and shouldn't be frozen.  But I'd definitely look into the possiblilty of it being worms.  Satin balls are another thing you can try to help her gain weight.  I've never used them personally but other members have had great success.  The recipe is on the boards somewhere probably on the food board.  The vet should be able to help you rule out the diabetes and thyriod through blood tests.  Good luck and keep us updated.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 03:38:39 pm »
Any dog who has had heartworms and goes through treatment is going to be thin. In my experience, it is pretty hard to keep weight on a Great Dane anyhow. So you may have a health problem, or you may just have a thin girl for a while.

The stool sample should be as fresh as possible. Or like Melissakins said, they can use a stool rod at the clinic to take a sample... most dogs don't enjoy it but it only takes a few seconds.

I would be feeding her a lot more than you mentioned. If you are around to give her 3 meals a day, do that. My Dane Leeloo came to us very thin, around 80 pounds, and she has gained at least 10 pounds but it has taken her almost two months of eating 3 meals a day, and we're talking about 6 or 7 cups of food a day total. It is a slow process. And the only thing she had wrong with her was tapeworms. She is almost 5 years old.

If your dog has plenty of energy, that is a really good sign. Just keep in mind that heartworm is a serious thing to go through, and being thin after treatment is very normal.

I hope she gains some poundage soon! She is a beauty! Let us know how the vet trip turns out. ;D

Offline mtaig12

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 05:04:52 pm »
Thanks everyone! I will increase her dry food and see if we can get her full and maybe get some weight on her. What about canned food? I know she'd love it, but is that a good way to get some more calories into her? I've seen the Satin Balls recipe, and we'll probably do that if there isn't anything else going on at her vet's appointment.

Thanks again!
Tracy
Tracy and Mike - parents
Alex and Ian - kids
Max and Star - canines
Oscar and Emily - felines
Nibbles - hamster
North Carolina

GR8DAME

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 08:31:09 pm »
I understand your concern, considering that she was a sick girl when you got her, but if she tests out healthy at the vet, you may just have a naturally thin girl. I spent two years obsessing over Merlin's weight, because he was always so skinny. He eats an easy 7 cups of dry food, 1/2 a can of wet food and tablescraps every day. You can still feel/see (barely) his ribs, and he is a happy and healthy almost 5 year old. In contrast my dobie gets about 2 cups of dry and 1/4 can of wet, rarely tablescraps and she is FAT. It depends on their metabolism, and Merlin's is high. Stars may be too. As long as she is energetic, has a good coat and skin, I wouldn't worry too much. Here is Merlin, at about 140#.
Stella