Author Topic: BAD DAY!!! or okay day......?  (Read 4099 times)

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
BAD DAY!!! or okay day......?
« on: March 08, 2006, 01:18:16 pm »
I let the dogs out this morning to go potty, and Bailey always wakes up before Sammie, so he was already out. I never see him when i put out Sammie cause we have a big yard, and he is playing. i put sam out, and like 5 minutes later i see sammie out the FRONT window! they were both in the front yard! i go and get them (from the middle of the street i might add) and bring them in, and i go out to find out why the gate was open. There were foot prints leading to the open gate, then to the shed, and the shed door was open. the foot prints were from a large mans shoe, and they weren't my step-dads. i did not hear them barking, or anything, which is weird now that i think about it. if this isn't making any sense it is because i am still really shaken up, and i can't think strait. Sammie is limping, and i think the intrudor tried to fight them off. i cleaned his wound and wrapped it, but if it doesn't get better soon i will call the vet. i can't beleive someone would try to get into our yard, but there have been a lot of brake ins lately. what would someone want in our yard??? i mean. the back door and front door were unlocked, and if it weren't for the dogs i might not be alive! the foot prints go from the front yard to the gate, then though that to the shed, then out the other shed door. right there the dog prints meet the person prints and there is a big spot of dirt were you can tell there was a fight. then the person prints go back out the gate, followed by dog prints. both dogs were out of breath when i got to them, and i just feel awful, because i should have been watching them more carefully, and i shouldn't have left them out there alone. the poor boys are really shaky still, but not as much as me. who would be stupid enough to go into a yard in bright day light with two huge dogs and not take anything??? i just wonder what they wanted...? would they try to take the dogs? there are much more expensive dogs in my neck of the woods that are smaller, nicer, and pure bred! i dont really have any thing valueable in the shed, or in the house really! it just scares me that this is happening in my yard!! what can i do to keep this from happening again? (except watching the dogs 24/7 of course)

sorry if i am mumbling, or i don't make sense, i am just really scared for the dogs, and for me! i was home alone!!!

Leah
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Re: BAD DAY!!! or okay day......?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 01:24:54 pm »
Oh my goodness, Leah! I hope you called the police. If there have been a lot of break-ins in your area as you say, this might be a great clue!!

Bailey and Sammie are heroes in my book!! They deserve extra special treats today.

Please don't beat yourself up for not watching them. That's why you responsibly have a fence and a gate - to keep them in. You shouldn't have to worry about people violating your space and jeopardizing the safety of your dogs and family, but unfortunately those things happen. For Heaven's sake, though, I would start locking the doors - even while you are home.

Please call the police to report this, and have a couple glasses of wine and try to relax.

We love you,
Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline cuttles/sadieMay

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 01:25:56 pm »
Oh poor you! I think you have two pretty special pups to protect you that way. I hope everyone is ok.
Good thoughts are with you!
Carole

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 01:27:28 pm »
My guess is they were either looking for stuff kept in a shed or for something to break into the house with...if it was daylight they may have thought nobody was home.  I'm always paranoid even though I live in a good small town neighborhood but I know the dogs make me feel better when I'm alone and when I'm outside at night.  The dogs probably stopped him before he could really get anything.  I'd have your stepdad check to be sure nothing is missing and call the police to at least report it.  Give your good boys lots of cuddles and be careful.  I hope Sammie feels better.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
  • Aspen having fun near Mammoth Lakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 01:38:51 pm »
I am so sorry this happened! Although your poor dogs are shaken up, aren't you glad they are there to protect you! They are our guardian angels.  :)
And please call the police if you haven't. They may already be searching for this person...who knows what their intentions were.
Zane - St Bernard/Shepherd mix
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix
Craig - Our Ridgie, has gone over the Rainbow Bridge

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 01:40:52 pm »
Thank you all! i am gonna have my step-dad report this to the police, but i am glad the dogs stopped them before they got in! i think Sammie will be fine, just a little sore. they both got a hunk of ham for that, which fits, cause Sammie's the hunk and Baileys the ham! anyway, i am glad they stopped the intrudor, but on the other hand, i think they shouldn't have. i would much rather something be stollen than them be hurt. boy their ego's are high in the sky today! they feel pretty good about themselves. they love to plat watchdoggie! i hope this never happens to any of you, and thanks again for the good thoughts!

Leah and the beasties
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 01:45:06 pm »
What a scarey feeling I'm sure!  I'm glad that you and your critters are OK.
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 01:46:35 pm »
ME TOO!
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 03:04:24 pm »
I am glad you're OK. I would give those fur babies lots of hugs and kisses. Dogs are wonderful.
I keep my gates padlocked. It adds one more layer of protection.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2006, 03:09:49 pm »
I keep my gates padlocked. It adds one more layer of protection.

I forgot to suggest adding locks to both the gate and the shed.  We keep the gates for out horses padlocked if they aren't close to our house....we've had stupid people in the past leave the gates open and thankfully the horses weren't hurt.  And if you want more accesibilty I'd suggest a combination lock.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2006, 04:39:09 pm »
That sounds like a great idea. Thanks a ton again. i am sort of concerned about whodunit, cause i am having a yard sale friday and saturday, and that might be a really good time to catch me off gaurd. i hope whoever it was doesn't come! and if they do, i hope they buy lots of stuff, cause this money is gonna go to my puppy fund. thena gain, maybe i should revisit getting another dog until we move, but that is WAY to far down the road for me.....

Leah
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2006, 11:49:08 pm »
Well, thx again for all you have said, we got a alarm system for the house and a padlock for the gate. i don't know if we are planning to lock the shed or not, but it is inside the gate so.... someone could easily jump our fence/gate though.....tty l! Newfie_Lover
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline Lucysdad

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2006, 12:41:26 am »
A friend down the block has wireless sensors for his alarm system on his windows, doors, and back shed. Don't know if that's an option for you, depends on the alarm company your with.
Lucy's Dad (Gene)

Outside a Dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside a Dog it's too dark to read. -- Groucho Marx

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2006, 12:21:40 pm »
Sorry that happened. It sounds scary. I am glad to hear you got a padlock for the gate. I would deffinately put a lock on the shed too just to be safe
RIP former BPO

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2006, 04:10:20 pm »
ya, we are thinking about it. i am aslo very glad that Barkley and Charley were in the house, because being the westie, barkley would probly try to attack the intruder, and he might get very badly hurt. Charley would lick 'em to death, but he is little, and i am thankful i had them in the house at that exact moment. i just wish i had had all of them in the house. usually i put 'em all out at once and let them go potty and play and run while i am watching them, but that day i was lazy, and i had just taken the lil ones for walk, so they didn't have to "go". i would have put them out on any other day, and they would have barked to let me know. the biggens don't bark, and i had no idea what was going on. i just wanted to let you know also that sammie is fine, he had a gash on his leg and he limped for a while, but he realized the more he limped, the more i paid attention to it, and he didn't like that.

just thought i would up-date you and fill in the gaps...thnks again for your concerns!!! Leah and the gang
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007