Author Topic: New SUV needed, ya think?  (Read 14622 times)

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
Re: New SUV needed, ya think?
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2006, 12:48:43 pm »
Just a thought, and I guess me and melissa are weird like this.  But I dont like the seats on some of the foreign vehicles, it sounds silly, but after test driving a few vehicles like the nissan pathfinder, our backs were hurting. We went with a Chrysler product for the ammenities and the wonderfully comfortable seats.  Resale lower/ more maintenance.. sure , but I don't care, ANY car/truck is a poor investment.  You lose money on anything you buy, so get something you enjoy is my thought.

I know American vehicles may be more maintenance prone, or at least thats what the experts say, but if you have to buy parts for a honda/toyota.. big big ouchie.  Compare the price of a honda element starter with a chevy suburban starter, big difference.  I work on my own vehicles, so maintenance is no big deal to me, but parts costs are a bigger for some of the foreign cars.  I can buy parts for my project jag cheaper than they are for some cars.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2006, 01:15:55 pm »
Just to weigh in on the whole value argument....

Someone mentioned earlier that cars are an investment?? I'm an accountant by profession. Cars are *not* an investment. They are a consumable. Investments, as a rule, (there are always exceptions!) appreciate. Cars do not appreciate, they lose value. (Unless you're a Barrett-Jackson shopper, but how likely is that?)

It doesn't matter whether you buy American, Forgien, or alien....your car *will* depreciate.

Trade-In value...that's a whole 'nother ballgame. Yes, certain brands have a better trade-in / re-sale value, but that also relies on how good you are in upkeep. We all own big dogs. Big dogs are "harder" on vehicles. (wear and tear-wise) Regular maintnenace is a biggie too, as well as milage.

I guess what my ramble here is trying to get to is, you would be foolhardy to base the purchase of a vehicle on an "investment" approach. Take a hard look at what your lifestyle is, and what would be the best fit in those terms.

And beyond all that....HAVE FUN, 'CAUSE YOU GET A NEW CAR!!!!
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline cuttles/sadieMay

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2006, 01:40:02 pm »
Take a hard look at what your lifestyle is, and what would be the best fit in those terms.

And beyond all that....HAVE FUN, 'CAUSE YOU GET A NEW CAR!!!!
first of all, Thank goodness you are both ok!
And I dont have any recomendations but I think that Leah-n-boy-os has the right idea. Take your time if you can and have fun.
Carole

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2006, 02:28:50 pm »
OK I am about the most non-confrontational person you will meet (most days anyway) but I think you are over critical of the American car.  After my 2 horrible american mini-vans I decided to go Toyota (I have had them and liked them) Then I was walking thru the mall and found my Yukon (my most expensive mall purchase ever).  However, I did drive the Toyota Forerunner and really did like it but it simply doesn't have the space.  To actually compare large trucks you would be looking at the Toyota Sequoiua (definately spelled wrong) and that was alot more money!!!

Anyway, American, Foreign whatever! you get the best car for you!!!!

Offline paharts

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Guinness, Kado, Holi
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2006, 02:31:09 pm »
Anyway, American, Foreign whatever! you get the best car for you!!!!

Here Here! :D
We might not be able to save them all, but we sure can try - Hart's Animal Rescue & Training-Forever Home Adoptions/H.A.R.T.-FHA

Nicole

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2006, 02:47:22 pm »
Just a thought, and I guess me and melissa are weird like this.  But I dont like the seats on some of the foreign vehicles, it sounds silly, but after test driving a few vehicles like the nissan pathfinder, our backs were hurting. We went with a Chrysler product for the ammenities and the wonderfully comfortable seats.  Resale lower/ more maintenance.. sure , but I don't care, ANY car/truck is a poor investment.  You lose money on anything you buy, so get something you enjoy is my thought.

That's cuz American seats are made for big fat American butts! ;)

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2006, 02:56:17 pm »
I have taken my hubby Jeep for now.  I think I need to take my time and check them all out.

Lisa

Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2006, 03:25:35 pm »
Wow Lisa!

Thank goodness all of you are ok!  I hope you are both feeling better very soon.  As far as a vehicle, we have a Honda Odessey Mini van.  We weren't too thrilled with the mini van idea at first but, it has been wonderful.  It seats 7 humans if needed but, one of the best things is the 3rd row fits into the floor, no lifting in and out.  The other great thing is because it is a mini van it is lower to the ground for our 3 Newfies to jump in and out.  So if we need to carry humans that 3rd row just pops right back out of the floor.  The second row of seats are like the front 2 seats, captain's type chairs that can come out individually too.  It does get pretty good gas mileage which is an added bonus.

Hope you guys are on the mend!

Hugs from the Newf troop from NJ
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 03:26:51 pm by pitas »