Author Topic: New SUV needed, ya think?  (Read 14567 times)

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
New SUV needed, ya think?
« on: March 08, 2006, 05:19:15 pm »
Ok this is what Dixie and I did to our Trooper SUV. It was a total loss.  Anyone have any ideas on a great SUV that will hold two or three pyrs.

Lisa
« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 05:20:40 pm by DixieSugarBear »
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
Re: New SUV needed, ya think?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 05:35:21 pm »
HOLY CRAPPOLA!!!  How did that happen???  I hope you guys are OK.  If you're looking for a new SUV, I can tell you about ours.  We have enjoyed our 1998 Suburban immensely and it has been a great dog vehicle.   Here's an exact look-alike of our truck. 

We took out the back seat because we rarely have that many people in the vehicle at once and it gives Drake a ton of room to lay down.  If you can imagine that from the interior shot, there's plenty of space for three Pyrs, easily! We also have captain chairs in the middle so he can come all the way up to the front to say hi to us or hang his head out the windows.  We have had very few mechanical issues with this model and if you stay on top of all the regular maintenence, it will last you quite a while.  Downside, it doesn't get the best gas mileage.  About 18 highway, 14 city.  I put on an after market exhaust (that Sarah HATES!!!) and that improves the MPG a bit but it still is a bit pricey at the pump these days.  Hope this helps!  ;D 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 05:52:14 pm by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Nicole

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 05:37:03 pm »
OH NO!

Glad both of you are OK! Wow!

Well, do you have to fit anyone else in there? Cuz we've got a Toyota 4-Runner. Its a great SUV. They maintain their value FOREVER, are easy to maintain, and the the scheme of SUV's get relatively decent gas mileage. Cabeza (100 pounds) fits comfortably in the rear cargo area without the back seats folded down. Actually, come to think of it, we transported Cabeza AND Maggie the Doberman back there. They were comfy. That, and we had two (human) girls in the back seat, and Mark and I in the front seats. If you don't need to use your back seats for kids, then they can be folded flat and I bet you could fit FOUR Pyrs in there!

We love ours. This is our second Toyota Truck and we've had nothing but success. No problems at all. And when you go to sell it, you won't cry because its now worthless.

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 05:38:52 pm »
Wow!  How'd that happen?!  I would definately say you  need a new one. ;)  I don't have a clue what would fit 3 Pyrs though.  I haven't even looked at anything that big.
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 05:51:17 pm »
Check out the " Join us at Dixie's next show", it has the story of what happened the last day of the dog show.  The insurance called it a total loss and said there was no way they would even think about having it fixed.  There is not a panel that would not have to be replaced. I really only need the back seat when my granddaughter is with me.  Most of the time it is just me or me and the hubby with the fur-kids.

Lisa

Lisa

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 06:10:08 pm »
OHHHH.....I switched to internet explorer and NOW I get the whole picture!  How absolutely terrifying!!  You are SOOO lucky to have gotten both of you out of there!

I love our Toyota Highlander.  It handles the two Newfies with no problem and it's easy to get the  back seats up if we ever have to put people in there.

Again, I'm SOOO sorry that you went through that, Lisa.  I just can't imagine!  How are you doing now??  Are you sore at all??

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 06:13:34 pm »
I will check out the Highlander. I am still a little sore, my back, neck, and head have not hurting any more so I am doing great.  I am still in shock that Dixie did not have did not have anything wrong.  She is still having some bad dreams, but Mommy loves on her and she is ok.

Lisa

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 06:24:18 pm »
It's amazing how fast loves will heal all the owies!  Give her a bunch from her Newf buddies as well....and drools, too,  if you can manage!! ;)

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 07:33:10 pm »
I think I can take care of a few extra hugs for my babies.

Kiahpyr

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2006, 08:22:02 pm »
OH WOW!! I'm so glad you made it out of that. I would recommend a Honda CRV or Pilot. They make great cars, run forever and have an awesome warrenty. I drive a CRV. It fits me, my hubby, two dogs, my daughter, and some luggage.

Offline paharts

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Guinness, Kado, Holi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2006, 09:09:22 pm »
let me start with
Holy crap!!!
I am very glad you and Dixie were okay, for the most part. that picture is scary! i am next headed to the other post to find out what happened.

i LOVE my Tahoe. when I met my hubby 10 yrs ago, i said i wanted a diesal suburban. he was floored, to say the least, and suggested a blazer. i said no way, it would never fit several mastiffs! once he met one as saw how big they are, we 'compromised' on a tahoe and were finally able to get one 3 yrs ago. i love it! but still would prefer the roomier suburban w/diesal engine.
i like diesal because it gets a bit better mpg and, as long as you do regular oil changes, it will last longer than most gas engines. growing up, we bought a new one in '83 and used it to haul dogs to shows. with mom & her hubby up front, me in the seat behind and the rest of the bench folded down with a dog there, we would fit up to 4 dogs in the rear [depending on their size]. after showing, we would all go to breakfast and would leave the truck running with rear a/c spitting ice [seriously :)!] in the summer. we did this constantly up/down CA for i don't know how long. at least about 9 yrs ago i heard it was still running great with only trans needing rebuilt [we did tow a trailer for a while] and the engine had some work done once. the truck had well over 200k miles on it.
my mom (megaburn) and her current husband got an HD diesal nearly 1 year ago for pulling a 5th wheel travel trailer and absolutely LOVE it. that engine purred pulling a trailer from Monterey Bay, CA up to OH (i think) to move g'ma down to Las Vegas & then drive back home. that was about a month after getting the truck and the mpg didn't drop.

my husband has experienced life with a dane added to our zoo for a bit over 1 year and is starting to realize that when we have more BPs, the tahoe might not be large enough [i plan to assist a oem rescue and foster]. wait until he see's elvis in it too ::)!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 09:12:36 pm by paharts »
We might not be able to save them all, but we sure can try - Hart's Animal Rescue & Training-Forever Home Adoptions/H.A.R.T.-FHA

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2006, 10:52:24 pm »
Lisa, I'm very glad that you and Dixie are ok!!!!

I can't rave enough about my Suzuki XL-7. It's a 4x4 SUV, but is lower to the ground, so the boy-os can get in and out very easy! Great gas milage, you can get a fully loaded package for a very decent price, and both rows of seats fold down very easily. I can fit all three of my bozos in the back, three kids in the middle row (two littles and a mutant teenager!) and hubby and I up front with comfort for everyone.

Hope this helps, and again, just glad to hear that you're doing ok!
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2006, 11:04:45 pm »
Seriously Lisa?, My minivan, a Dodge Grand Caravan, (with the backseat taken out) hauled the dogs better than the Dodge Durango I recently bought...It's easier for them to get into, they somehow seemed to actually have more room, & it gets alot better gas milage than my SUV does...&, I hate to admit, it is alot more fun to drive! :D
« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 11:07:50 pm by Gypsy Jazmine »

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2006, 11:06:25 pm »
Holy crap!... That's pretty messed up, glad you and dixie are doing ok.

I love the Honda Element for an economical dog vehicle. Rubber floors, lower to the ground than most suvs, the back seats fold up along the sides, etc. It just seems like a great dog-hauler. Smaller than a giant suv like the yukon xl or excursion, so no problems manuvering it into tight parking places.:)

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline megaburn

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2006, 11:24:03 pm »
Hi there dixie.  Glad all is well and hope you recoup quickly.   I have TWO recommendation s.  Do you crate your dogs?   I have had the diesel suburban(katy's message) and I have had the GMC Safari.  GREAT vehicles they both were.  In the GMC you can fit TWO LARGE (mastiff size) crates side by side(facing the back door) and also if you chose you may remove the second set of seats and put one by the side door.  so there you have THREE.  In taking the three you could only have front seat riders.  Mine was bucket front seats so if I did let a dog ride loose(which I did) they could visit me up front.  The suburban ran FOREVER and carried a lot of mastiffs to the shows.  Sue