Author Topic: New SUV needed, ya think?  (Read 14565 times)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Re: New SUV needed, ya think?
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2006, 12:08:06 am »
Holy crap!... That's pretty messed up, glad you and dixie are doing ok.

I love the Honda Element for an economical dog vehicle. Rubber floors, lower to the ground than most suvs, the back seats fold up along the sides, etc. It just seems like a great dog-hauler. Smaller than a giant suv like the yukon xl or excursion, so no problems manuvering it into tight parking places.:)

I second that! The Element is awesome! Actually, with the new Elements, you can either fold the back seats up against the sides or you can take them all the way out! The rubber floors are great - no carpet in the whole vehicle to collect hair and easy to clean in case you take the dogs to the beach or lake, it's very roomy inside - definitely enough room for 2 pyrs, priced very economically and gets great gas mileage for an SUV.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2006, 07:35:55 am »
I am so sorry for your accident and I am glad all is alright...

I have a Honda Pilot and can fit two dogs easily without folding the seats...Zero is 130 and Chara is 105 and both have room to get up turn around lay down etc...

If you fold the second row you can easily fit three if not more dogs LOL

If you have no dogs it can fit 8 people...not terrible on gas  37.00 to fill the tank in Boston Ma area
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2006, 07:36:21 am »
Holy crap!... That's pretty messed up, glad you and dixie are doing ok.

I love the Honda Element for an economical dog vehicle. Rubber floors, lower to the ground than most suvs, the back seats fold up along the sides, etc. It just seems like a great dog-hauler. Smaller than a giant suv like the yukon xl or excursion, so no problems manuvering it into tight parking places.:)

I second that! The Element is awesome! Actually, with the new Elements, you can either fold the back seats up against the sides or you can take them all the way out! The rubber floors are great - no carpet in the whole vehicle to collect hair and easy to clean in case you take the dogs to the beach or lake, it's very roomy inside - definitely enough room for 2 pyrs, priced very economically and gets great gas mileage for an SUV.

The only thing is that the Element technically isn't an SUV.  It has a car frame and car suspension and car transmission, and every thing is car, so it's not going to handle or be able to be abused like a truck/utility vehicle.  AND NO I'M NOT SAYING THAT BECAUSE I DON'T LIKE THE ELEMENT JEANNE!  Matt gets alot of people who come into work because they made their Elements implode because they thought they were trucks, and were trying to have them haul stuff and tow things and one genius even took it off road. 
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2006, 07:40:27 am »
OMG!  Are you ok?!!!

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2006, 08:40:28 am »
I hope you both are feeling OK this morning that is quite a crunch!!  Sometimes the second day you are stiff.

I have a GMC Yukon that I really like (same as the tahoe) We had two terrible mini-vans before so I was so relieved to get a good vehicle.  Over the summer I was rammed from behind while I waited to make a left hand turn; I saw it coming so I put my foot on the brake; braced myself and BANG the other car (a jeep Liberty) bounced off my car spun out and landed across the street (gladly they weren't hurt either).  Anyway I had $2100 damage and we are up and running again.

Again, so sorry and hope you are both AOK!!!

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2006, 08:51:26 am »
I'm glad that you both walked away with only minor aches and pains.  When I read the other thread my heart missed a beat.

As for a new SUV I would also have to recommend the Suburban.  We just bought our second one in September.  My guess is we will have one until we replace the dog house with an RV.  If we didn't need a vehicle to pull the trailer I MIGHT (Mack says NO WAY) consider a van due to Tucker's hips.  We do use a ramp but it would be nice to have a door that slides open on the side.

Keep us posted.

Nicole

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2006, 09:13:29 am »
With the utmost respect to all of my dog-totin' BPO sistahs, :-* I'd like to just add....

American cars in no way will hold their value like a foreign one. A Honda or Toyota will be worth nearly as much when you go to sell it as when you bought it...I mean, it doesn't depreciate by the minute like an American vehicle. (Which is why they knocked some money off, Jenn...they HAVE to bribe people..hehehe ...)

I guess that might not be an issue for some people, but it is for me. I see my cars as investments cuz I'm a broke joke..heheheh. .so I want to know that if I take care of the thing, I can get a good amount of money when I go to sell it. Its just something to consider. I'm certainly not hatin' on you girls that have American cars.  :-*

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2006, 09:46:12 am »
American cars in no way will hold their value like a foreign one.

Maybe so, but with a Honda or Toyota, you will never get the roominess your Big Dog needs like you do in a Suburban or Denali.  I see Newfs and Berners crammed in the back of Toyotas all the time and that might be OK for driving around town or going to the dog park, but not for a long road trip.  With our Suburban, I am happy that Drake can make himself comfortable wherever he wants rather than settling on the tiny space he's given.  Another suggestion,why don't you get an extended cab pickup?  There will be plenty of room for humans up front and plenty of room for the usually dirty doggies in the back.  You could also buy a shell if you want some shelter for them in bad weather.  Just a suggestion....  ;D
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2006, 09:48:46 am »
I dont know...my honda pilot i have two dogs that have ample space to move around without folding down the back seats. My dogs are alwasy in the car some long some short rides...the longest has been 8 hours but it is much larger than the honda CRV on the inside

Nicole

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2006, 09:56:16 am »
American cars in no way will hold their value like a foreign one.

Maybe so, but with a Honda or Toyota, you will never get the roominess your Big Dog needs like you do in a Suburban or Denali.  I see Newfs and Berners crammed in the back of Toyotas all the time and that might be OK for driving around town or going to the dog park, but not for a long road trip.  With our Suburban, I am happy that Drake can make himself comfortable wherever he wants rather than settling on the tiny space he's given.  Another suggestion,why don't you get an extended cab pickup?  There will be plenty of room for humans up front and plenty of room for the usually dirty doggies in the back.  You could also buy a shell if you want some shelter for them in bad weather.  Just a suggestion....  ;D

I wasn't referring to spaciousness. I was making a point about resale value, which has nothing to do with the size of the vehicle.

Your Suburban or Denali will really be worth nothing very quickly. Its the truth.

But, to respond to that, I've got a 4-Runner, and even with the back seats not folded down, Cabeza (100 pounds) and Maggie the Doberman (85 pounds) had ample room to stand and lay down. And do both. Multiple times. Stand, turn around, lay down, look out the windows...And, it has a 60/40 split back seat, so I can fold down one, and still get my kid back there with a TON of room.

And since Lisa mentioned she doesn't usually have any kids in the vehicle, just her dogs, I thought she might want to consider the resale value in addition to size. There are other factors that go into buying a vehicle, ya know.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2006, 09:57:56 am »
Thanks guys, you have given me so many to check out.  I was doing great this morning until Dixie and I almost walked on a snake(it's dead now) when we all went for a walk.  Most of you know how I am with snakes since the loss of Rosie.

Lisa 
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2006, 10:00:59 am »
i wasnt even thinking of foreign or domestic LOL  my husband has ford 350 diesel and me a honda pilot...

Once i get another dog...not sure on the breed but in two years it will be a BIG SUV because it will have to fit 3 HUGE dogs.  smallest being 150 lbs LOL

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2006, 10:15:22 am »
Your Suburban or Denali will really be worth nothing very quickly. Its the truth.

I think you're wrong, but I'll respect your opinion.  Personally, I would rather buy an American truck or SUV any day.  Just about everyone gets burned when they go to sell their vehicle, and since I bought my 1998 Suburban used, I don't plan to make a much off of it when I sell it one day.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 12:31:18 pm by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline Boobearsmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2006, 10:25:52 am »
I have a Highlander but its only my daughter, Boo and me.  Its good for now but if Boo gets much taller, she won't be doing the standing up thing in the back!  Maybe call around to local dealerships that you're interested in and ask them if you can bring the dogs to see how they fit?  Most dealers will bend over backwards if they really want to make a sale.  Not saying Toyota is better than any other brand, but this is my third one and they've done everything from giving me and installing a rear light casing for free (x-mas tree accident) to sending me a free Fossil watch.  I know that seems minor compared to the price of SUV's these days, but to me, its the little things that count.  And you can get the Highlander Hybrid and save a little on gas and taxes.

Offline paharts

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Guinness, Kado, Holi
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2006, 12:11:53 pm »
personally, i look first at roomy-ness to be sure all my furr-kids will fit and make sure it can tow a horse trailer with a pair inside. 2nd, i look at how well the engine and transmission hold up over time regardless of what i use it for. then i research the he** out of the vehicles i've found to be sure more positive than negative reviews exist and to be sure i get the absolutly best price possible.
since i plan on keeping my truck until it is very old, i am not concerned about resale value. i believe that is mainly based on market demand. the more saturated the market is with an item [cars, houses, broccoli], the less pricy it will be. that is just my opinion; i am not knocking what anyone else writes :)

some shopping advise: purchasing near the end of the month can get you a better price; the salepeople have quotas they have to meet so will usually try harder for you. i know you probably can't wait but buying when the next year's models are about to be released helps the price as well. remember that even if you do manage to get the dealership down to invoice price, the dealer still gets a hefty kick-back from the manufacturer as a sort of thank you for dealing their cars; don't let them fool you into thinking they aren't making anything. it is okay to walk away and go back another day if you feel they are not doing their best for you. and it is okay to make 2 dealers bid for your business; if they know you are seriously shopping around & know what you want, they will give you the best deal they can.

Just some thoughts for you to contemplate :)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 12:15:08 pm by paharts »
We might not be able to save them all, but we sure can try - Hart's Animal Rescue & Training-Forever Home Adoptions/H.A.R.T.-FHA