Author Topic: How soon?  (Read 2681 times)

Offline ZoesMama

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
How soon?
« on: March 08, 2006, 08:04:14 pm »
We have our beautiful one year old saint, Zoe.  We recently lost...3 weeks ago...our 3 year old spaniel mix to a neurological illness that only lasted 2 1/2 days...  We miss him.  Zoe is lonely.  My husband has been looking for a new canine companion.  We're looking at an aussie/heeler mix that will be ready to go at the end of the month.  I'm not sure I'm ready...I think the kids are...I know Zoe would like some company.  And what about this mix of breeds?  I think I know what we're getting into, but not positive.  Anyone out there with some experience with aussies or heelers?

Kiahpyr

Re: How soon?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 08:19:09 pm »
I don't have experience with the mix breed you're looking at. I can tell you that I love my mix breed a lot and it's fun trying to figure out what she is. Kiah my purebred pyr loves having a playmate. I say go for it!

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 08:28:37 pm »
That would be smart dog!!! And probably really high energy too... :D

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 08:29:45 pm »
Well, if you know what to expect from those two breeds, who tend to be on the higher end of the activity level, then there's not much extra I could tell you.

Overall, I like aussies.  I've worked and been around them before and find them overall friendly, extremely intelligent (except for one of my clients' aussies....... ....he's as dumb as a brick), and they like to keep busy.........a s in ball or frisbee or whatever.

Heelers are very similar to aussies, but in the little experience I have had with them, they are even more intense, and although I've met a couple that are great, I've met others that are dog aggressive and not all that human friendly either.  But that could very well have just been on account of unsocializatio n.

I hate to say it, but if everyone is ready except you, I would probably give in and get another dog.  Who knows how long it would be before you are ready?  But I will repeat I hope everyone is ready for some serious training for this kind of mix.  Heelers, as well as about 1/2 the aussies I have met tend to have dominant personalities, which means thorough training is a must as they will push your buttons every chance they get and try to outsmart you.  They are two of the most intelligent breeds out there, and put them together, and you may have super intelligent dog.  Just a thought.   ;)  But hey, if everyone is ready for it..........I say go for it as well.

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 08:34:01 pm »
Aussies and heelers are both high energy.  I have an aussie and you need to make sure they have something to do.  Aussies also have a tendency to be a little shy with strangers and can be nippy if cornered.  I'd spend alot of time with the dog to get an idea of it's energy level and personality.  As well as to get an idea of how well it would fit into the family.  But with obedience they can be awesome pets...but watch out for the herding tendencies with children.  I've seen a wide range of aussies and their personalities do differ a lot from dog to dog.  Is the dog a female or male and how dominant is Zoe?  If Zoe is dominant I'd make sure to get a male unless the other dog is really submissive.  I'd also PM Moni because she has had aussie and aussie mixes.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline ZoesMama

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 08:39:40 pm »
We do realize they are high energy.  We indend to go through obediance early on.  Our boys are older and bigger and are all about the frisbee and ball playing.  I guess I'm not too worried about the herding instinct with them.  This is a male pup and his personality is yet to be determined, I think.  Zoe is pretty timid. I'm hoping that getting it as a pup, we can sort of mold it to our household with training and plenty of socialization.  I guess I'm not as concerned about the aussie side as I am the heeler side.  What about barking?  Are they big barkers?

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 08:45:46 pm »
Lacey like to howl when she's left alone and she'll bark to try and herd us when we are on the other side of the gate.  She'll also bark if someone is moving around outside.  She can be a little excessive but I think that can vary between dogs too.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare

Offline ZoesMama

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 08:51:19 pm »
Wow, I didn't think they'd herd adults too. 
Lacey is beautiful. 

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 09:26:05 pm »
She only does it as we're going over the gate or are moving around the other side of the house...it's mainly my dad..she nips his heels as he goes over the gate but she only barks at me and my brother and may occasionally go to nip.  She doesn't do it to my mom though.  If you get after them for it, it's generally not a problem.  Lacey has an extremely strong herding drive, she even taught out newf how to herd...Kali can now pivot on a dime and Kali now herds the aussie and other dogs in her puppy class.  Shimmer the aussie in the puppy class is the perfect example of the well socialized obedient aussie.  She has an agility title, a few herding titles and are working towards obedience.  So the trick is to do alot with them and it sounds like your boys can handle it.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare