Author Topic: Tripe  (Read 3268 times)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Tripe
« on: May 05, 2006, 09:55:06 pm »
Anyone feed this to their puppers? We bought some frozen tripe and I haven't used any yet. The main reason I want to try it is, I read that it is really good for fur and skin. Harley has very soft velvet fur but she still has some dry skin. Not as bad as it used to be, the evo has helped with that. I think that with the dry climat that we live in, the food can only so so much. Anyway, just wondering what people's thought are on it.
OH and it is cow tripe that we bought. The fresh/frozen stuff.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Tripe
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 10:06:19 pm »
Green tripe is best, but I use the solid gold green tripe food about once a week. Sugar Bear and Dixie love it. 

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 10:14:46 pm »
I think it is the green tripe that I got, It is in patties so I can take one out and cut it into pieces. I am sure that Harley will love it. I just hope that it will help with her dry skin. It was really bad before we changed her food. She would moan and rub up against the walls trying to scratch herself. She has only been on the evo for about 3 months and already there is a huge improvement. I am just new at this tripe thing, so I don't know all the benefits yet. I just remember reading that it can really help with skin conditions.
Did you notice if it helped your pups coats Lisa? I know that they have beautifuls for seeing pictures, I am just wondering if the tripe helped with that.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 10:43:03 pm »
My dogs love green tripe...the bleached stuff does nothing for them what so ever..

www.greentripe .com  there is alot of good info there on the subject matter

Oh beware the smell LOL
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 10:48:48 pm »
Thanks Babs, I'll definately check out that web site. I just checked in our freezer and we have the green tripe.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 10:36:32 am »
We also use the Solid Gold Green tripe.  I really should use it about once a week too, the smell just makes me gag sometimes, so I tend to forget about it for the pups.  I must go back to giving it to them at least once a week.  They all love it too and Maddie's coat tends to get dry sometimes especially since she was spayed a few years back.  I know the tripe is great for coats so I will have to block out the smell!   ;D 

Anita & the 3 Newfies from NJ

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 07:46:12 pm »

Green tripe is fantastic for dogs - they always love it and it has an excellent balance of nutrients for them - both fiber and offal.  Be sure to never feed bleached tripe - this has all nutrients washed and bleached and provides absolutely no value. It is important to still have the stomach contents in the tripe - this the "green" which is really black :)  and this is what dogs love.

Good luck!
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline Boyle

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 08:59:45 am »
Nola loves his green tripe.  He does the happy mastiff dance when it is dropped in his dish.  Nola's coat is super soft especially around his neck but I don't know if that is from the tripe or his raw diet.

Serious warning about the smell!  I left a 10 lb bag on the porch yesterday to thaw and forgot about it.  I opened the door this morning and nearly retched.  And, no, the smell has nothing to do with being spoiled - it smells nasty even when frozen!