Author Topic: Flying my Dane  (Read 9814 times)

Offline ApollosDad

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Flying my Dane
« on: March 09, 2006, 08:29:00 pm »
Could anyone give me some sound information on how to fly my Great Dane?  I am moving from the San Francisco area to London, and need to fly my boy over as well.  He is all in check with the UK pet passport, I just need shipping info. and airline recomendations .  This makes me very edgie to have to be flying him and some help could realy calm my nerves.  Info. on preventing bloat during the flight is also needed.  Thanks!!   

kristi

Re: Flying my Dane
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 08:59:07 am »
My brother flys his 2 pits across the country all the time. They have more frequent flyer miles than I do. :D He's never had any major problems.
I know that there are restrictions on the tempertature at take-off & landing, but other than that I don't know. I'll call him & ask.
Stay tuned...
-k.

Offline dufus

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 09:17:32 am »
Hi there,

well I have not done this yet, but i have planned it.

from: http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/pets/procedures/support-info/noneuroutes-air.htm

you only have 2 approved carriers, British Airways or Virgin - this is the same as me from Miami.  For what it is worth i plan to fly Day-z to the UK from Miami on Virgin - but i think either carrier is OK.

We can't go until the end of June as Day-z blood test was only at the right level at the end of December.  I assume that you sent the blood to Kansas too.

Good luck.

Jill

kristi

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 10:27:55 am »
Could anyone give me some sound information on how to fly my Great Dane?  I am moving from the San Francisco area to London, and need to fly my boy over as well.  He is all in check with the UK pet passport, I just need shipping info. and airline recomendations .  This makes me very edgie to have to be flying him and some help could realy calm my nerves.  Info. on preventing bloat during the flight is also needed.  Thanks!!   

I asked my brother & sister-in-law about flying a dog. They sent the following e-mail. It's not much, but I thought it might help.
-k.

Hi,

The USDA's website
(http://www.aphis.usda.gov/index.shtml) is a good one.
 Your friend should also check out the airline's
websites.  There's usually a list of costs, and it can
be anywhere from $50 to $300 each way depending on
which airline, and if the dog is going as carry-on or
checked baggage.

There are, of course, different quarantine laws too
dependning on where they are going internationall y.
Lots of airlines won't fly pets internationall y now.

Good luck!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 11:02:20 am »
I have a friend who's Australian Shepard actually has flown back and forth to Germany so many times that he's actually earned frequent flier miles on Lufthansa.  She says he has NO problem on the plane.  He does that trip at least four times a year!! ::)

There are also companies who specialize in pet transportation ....I'll have to look up the references but they make all the arrangements including caring for the pet if the flight is delayed....

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 11:04:53 am »
Yep....found it:

www.jet-a-pet.com

I've heard only good things about this company.

Good luck and Bon Voyage!