Author Topic: Hot Spots  (Read 5729 times)

Offline Mrrigsby

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Hot Spots
« on: March 06, 2006, 05:24:58 pm »
This is my first message so if it reads like a book, sorry.I have a Great Pyrennees (Gulliver) and a Newfoundland (Gladstone). Gulliver was diagnosed at 11 weeks to have a bad case of luxating patela and now at 23 months and two surgeries later is doing very well. Sadly Gladstone now 18 months old has OCD in his front 'elbows'. He is on 4 Cosequin DS and 2 Rimadyl a day but does not seem any better. I am so sad to have two great dogs and each has a joint problem. What are the chances?
My real problem though is that Gladstone also suffers with 'Hot Spots'. He is under medication at this time with a wound the size of a salad plate and has undergone treatment twice before. Now my problem is that my vet tells me that the best exercise for the OCD is to swim but that if he swims he will be constantly wet and have 'Hot Spots' all over his body. Choices.....no t to swim....shave his entire body! I have to say that not swimming is no great hardship as he hates the pool. Loves to be wet but hates the pool. i really don't want to shave his beautiful coat but am told that even though he was born and bred in Florida he was never meant to be here. What can I do? Help please. 

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Hot Spots
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 06:08:11 pm »
Your babies are both cute...do you know that it is the water causing the hotspot and not something else?  There are several medications that are topical that could help.  I know there are some facilities that have underwater treadmills I don't know if there are some near you though.  Also he might not mind the pool as much if you made it into the game...have him retrieve a floating toy. Also if you're using chemicals in your pool, you could always try a switch to a chemical that wouldn't bother him as much. And make sure to try and dry him off well(maybe try a blow drying on a cool setting).
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Mrrigsby

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 10:12:38 pm »
Gladstone is not swimming at this time. In fact he has only been in the pool maybe 6 times as yet because he hates it so much. The only way that I can get him in there is to go in with him and much as I love him it's too cold as yet! No, that part of the problem is still to come. He has the problem with  the 'Hot Spots' without the swimming but I am told that it will just make it worse. The only thing that he does that I just cannot cure is that he will lay in his own urine. Any place that is damp is his idea of heaven but the vet says that his coat is so dense it does not allow moisture to escape. There must be something out there that will help him. By the way, I am a hair stylist by profession and I can tell you that there is not a dryer out there that would dry him from day to day other than an industrial fan!   

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 10:45:46 pm »
Thin his coat so his skin can breathe, use a mars coat king to thin out the undercoat, then rake it and blow it out with a strong drier.  We have a ghetto dryer (a 15 amp wet/dry) but it works great to blow out the dead undercoat.

Just my thoughts, but if you can get some circulation to his skin it will help immensly.  We live in Hot muggy South Alabama, so I can definetly understand hot spots from the climate.   

I like Neo-Predef from the vet for them, a lot of people have had success with Gold Bond Powder, I personally think the powders work better than creams, because the problem is moisture anyways, and the powder helps dry up the pus & moisture.

Just my 2 cents, good luck and a BIG welcome aboard btw.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 01:13:22 am »
Welcome to BPO! i am sorry i have no advice on this subject-i live in New Mexico. not exactly damp. but i really hope your boy gets well and will tolerate the treatments. GOOD LUCK! Leah Barkley Charley Sammie and Bailey
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 06:51:02 am »
We use Peace and Kindness spray at the first inkling of a hot spot.  Once the hot spot is there we then use Tea Tree Oil- applied directly to the area, which you can get from Walmart.  Both work wonders.  We also use Bitter Apple to keep the dog from continuing to bite the area- sprayed on several times a day. 

Offline hairprincessnyu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 11:12:07 am »
I am going to second the tea tree oil. We had an Aussie with this problem, and it was the only thing that worked. You must use it several times a day. Whenever we remembered we used it. It usually was at least somewhat better within a week. Tea Tree is a natural antifungal, antibacterial, antiseptic. It really works wonders, plus the dog won't lick the area because they don't like the taste. There are a few sprays on the market with the tea tree oil in them, but very few actually work. Good luck!
True love is being gone all day, and coming home to a dog who licks your face.

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 01:43:56 pm »
We have found that thinning out the undercoat is key in preventing hot spots.  With Newfies thick coats, if they are wet all the time, they can actually start to ROT!  That can cause horrible hot spots.  With Drake, we use the Undercoat thinning rake (Coat King?) and just keep him brushed all the time, checking for Dreds and matting.  Also, we give Drake a short haircut and shave his belly every 4 months or so.  This time of year, we leave it a bit longer because it's cold.  Ever since we started doing that, the Hot spots have disappeared.  They may not look like a traditional Newf, but as you can see by the pictures below, he is still quite handsome and it may help with any skin issues.  Just something to consider especially if you want your Newf to swim, which something all Newfs should do.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 01:45:19 pm by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Kiahpyr

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 01:52:37 pm »
It may work with the newfs, but not the pyrs. Shaving pyrs can actually cause more damage. Their coat protects them from over heating in the summer months and keeping them warm in the winter. There's more I can look up if you like.

Offline Mrrigsby

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2006, 06:21:13 pm »
Hi Brandon,
Thanks for your information. I have located the Mars web site but what size do you use? I would like a little hair left on my guy!

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2006, 07:07:48 pm »
Hopefully a pyr person can chime in here, but the newf & pyr coats seem very similar to me

This is from a groomer on Newf.Net:
You want to order the DOUBLE wide which is 2 inches wide. It is the 18 blade COURSE

Use it much like you would use a comb. Just seperate the hair and comb from the
skin out. Do not just go over the top of the coat. I doubt at first if you can
take out too much. Just work evenly over an area until you get the results you
want.

2 places that sell it
http://www.petedge.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=2440&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=12&iSubCat=152&iSubSubCat=0&iProductID=2440
http://www.groomersmall.com/coat_kings.htm#DoubleWide
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2006, 09:03:22 pm »
I don't use the Mars Coat King on the Pyrs as it also cuts the hair.  We use a long toothed undercoat rake to remove the undercoat.  And when they start to blow coat we give them a bath cause for some reason that makes the hair really come out

Offline Mrrigsby

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2006, 05:01:24 pm »
Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your reply. I do not need any of this info for my Pyr. He is not the problem. When he blows his coat I jusy stuff it in my matress. Just joking! He just doesn't seem to have any problems.