Author Topic: Serious help needed! (the good kind.)  (Read 3888 times)

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Serious help needed! (the good kind.)
« on: March 11, 2006, 02:05:36 am »
Ok, hubby just informed me that I can get a hairy dog!  He's always said no before but I've always loved them best.  I need help deciding which kind to get!  What kind do you recomend?  What do you like and dislike about your breed?  I need ALL the info so if anyone can help me out I would really appreciate it!  Thank you!!! ;D  ;D  ;D

Kelly (can't stop smiling!)
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Serious help needed! (the good kind.)
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 08:27:20 am »
Well, since you asked....get a NEWF!!!  There is just nothing sweeter and more loveable!  They are all the things a gentle giant should be!  Gentle, smart, easy-ish to train (okay...Chester still jumps up when he's excited :P).  There's nothing more fun than plunging in to a group of people with a Newf because if someone likes dogs, they'll love a Newf!! 

Okay...the bad bits.  The health issues.  That is a really scary aspect.  Find the best breeder you can...intervie w, look at pedigrees, OFA records, talk to other owners about the health of their dogs.  Join a breed club...Newf Club is a great place to look at the dogs, meet other owners who can help.  Drool, hair...all part of the 'charm' of a Newf. ::)  Here's a way to put that in to perspective.  The worst thing that can happen when we are out in public is that one of the boys will slime a new friend.  It is better than being growled at!!

Good luck with your search....and think NEWF!!

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 09:18:29 am »
It all depends on what you are looking for exactly in a companion. What are you looking for?
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 04:03:37 pm »
good with kids

able to live in the heat (although most of the time they will live in the house with ac)

no high energy or clingy dogs

protective (?)

likes cats (and possibly small dogs)

must get along with other dogs (we visit the dog park daily)

calm in the house

Also, we're looking to adopt and adult (possibly senior).  I'd rather not deal with the puppy stuff if I can help it.

That's all I can think of atm.
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Offline Titansmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 04:14:29 pm »
I looked at petfinder in your area for extralarge dogs. If you contact rescue you can go visit a few different breedand dog see who picks you.
http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 04:54:48 pm »
Get a Newf!  ;D

good with kids: YES! The best!!

able to live in the heat (although most of the time they will live in the house with ac): we have hot weathe & he is inside with the ac & in water mainly

no high energy or clingy dogs: not high energy or clingy but they love to be with their family members

protective (?): depends on the situation. if I am alone with Bear then yes...he is my forever protector

likes cats (and possibly small dogs): Loves all animals!

must get along with other dogs (we visit the dog park daily): he loves to play and romp!

calm in the house: very! sleepy, chills out with you and love to be loved!

Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2006, 05:03:08 pm »
Get a Newf!  ;D

good with kids: YES! The best!!

able to live in the heat (although most of the time they will live in the house with ac): we have hot weathe & he is inside with the ac & in water mainly

no high energy or clingy dogs: not high energy or clingy but they love to be with their family members

protective (?): depends on the situation. if I am alone with Bear then yes...he is my forever protector

likes cats (and possibly small dogs): Loves all animals!

must get along with other dogs (we visit the dog park daily): he loves to play and romp!

calm in the house: very! sleepy, chills out with you and love to be loved!

hhhmmmmmmmmmm

You wouldn't be partial would you?  ;D

Actually they are one of the breeds on my list. At this point it's getting short fast.   :-\

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2006, 07:07:26 pm »
good with kids
No doubts about that one!  My guys LOVE kids!!
able to live in the heat (although most of the time they will live in the house with ac)
As long as they are with you and you are comfortable, they seem to be just fine.  We are in Southern Calif. and they do great.
no high energy or clingy dogs
The puppy has high energy while we are on walks, Cowboy cruises.  The analogy is Chester is a Ferrari, Cowboy is a Rolls Royce.  Clingy...no, but they want to be with their people all the time.  They both sleep in our room.
protective (?)
If they sense someone's not nice, they just get between me and whoever.  Size DOES matter  ;)

likes cats (and possibly small dogs)
We have three cats and they all get along great.  We also have a lot of wild life and they don't bother them at all.

must get along with other dogs (we visit the dog park daily)
They love other dogs....but sometimes other dogs are intimidated by the Newf's size :(
calm in the house
Yep!  You just have to be careful not to trip over "great sleeping bear" :D :D
Also, we're looking to adopt and adult (possibly senior).  I'd rather not deal with the puppy stuff if I can help it.
Find a really, really good breeder and see if you can adopt one of their older guys.  A lot of times they have dogs that they've kept for breeding and it doesn't work out so they have to find homes for an adult which isn't as easy.

And yes!!!  I am SOOO prejudiced!! ;D ;D

There's a great dog book called "Paws to Consider" that gives the pros and cons of many breeds.  It's a GREAT resource!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 07:10:17 pm by newflvr »

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2006, 08:31:13 pm »
Saint Bernards:

Biggest upside: Sweetest, most beautiful and adoring dogs ever

Biggest Downside: Health problems, especially HD.

good with kids Very

able to live in the heat Not very well. Needs AC and lots of water. You will find this with all big hairy dogs though

no high energy or clingy dogs Needs to feel included in the family and loves to cuddle, some peopel might consider that 'clingy'

protective (?) yes

likes cats (and possibly small dogs) If properly socialized

must get along with other dogs very well

calm in the house yes. loves to nap and just chill

RIP former BPO

Kiahpyr

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2006, 02:21:08 pm »
GET A PYR!!!

good with kids YEP! I have a 2.5 year old
able to live in the heat (although most of the time they will live in the house with ac) YEP and actually you might have to push them out to go!
no high energy or clingy dogs Not at all! Ok maybe a little clingy. They like to be in the same room with you, but what dog doesn't? ;)

protective (?) Yep

likes cats (and possibly small dogs) Yep! I have 3 cats too!
must get along with other dogs (we visit the dog park daily) As long as you socialize them at a young age. I know you want an older dog. I would make sure that they are dog friendly.

calm in the house very

Pyrs do bark and shed, so if you don't mind that then you'll get along just fine. They like to dig too!