Author Topic: American Mastiffs  (Read 25256 times)

Offline NatsaintB

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: American Mastiffs
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2005, 10:21:28 am »
Wow!  21 weeks and 85lbs is great!  You must post pics of your baby for us to see, Pleeeeease!!  Welcome to BPO by the way!

Offline rv581

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2005, 10:38:27 am »
Thanks for the warm welcome!  I'd be happy to post some photos, once I figure out how to do so.  I have a huge collection of my AM (Leon)'s photos attached to e-mails, but I haven't taken the time to learn how to upload the images to this site.  I'd be happy to e-mail the photos to anyone who'd like 'em, in the meantime, though...

From what I've been told by other AM owners, these dogs seem to average about 100-pounds at six months, about 180 at one year, and continue to pack on weight until about age three.  And that's part of the fun in having a mastiff in the family -- not only are they dogs, but they're also science projects!  Watching 'em grow is fascinating stuff -- and they grow so quickly, I swear you can hear the bones creek at night!

BTW, I've been weighing Leon every week since he was six-weeks old (when he joined our family) by weighing myself -- and then picking him up, and standing back on the scale.  I don't know how much longer I'll be physically able to continue doing that, but if any mastiff puppy owners have questions about their dog's growth rate through 21-weeks, I can help w/ that.

Offline NatsaintB

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2005, 10:52:22 am »
Rv - if you want to post pics with your post this is how it's done.  After you write what you want to say, just click on the Additional Options text under your text box.  It will reveal a Browse button which you click on and search your computer for the file you want to attach.  I hope this helps!  I can't wait to see your pics!

Offline rv581

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2005, 11:05:06 am »
OK... let's see if this works...

Offline rv581

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2005, 11:06:33 am »
Cool!

dohertyswissy

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2005, 11:25:25 am »
What a cutie!!!  Awesome looking dog!!!

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2005, 11:39:13 am »
OH My he is so cute. We weighed Judge for about the first 6 months on our home scale but now we take him to Hubbys work. LOL They have a big scale there for loading the flat bed truck. Works great.
Thanks for sharing to wonderful pics.
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline fcsantos

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2005, 03:52:48 pm »
We just purchased an Old English Mastiff and did extensive research on them and American Mastiffs. Every breeder and dog trainer that we spoke to said that the American Mastiff is a mutt and the myth that they drool less is a joke. I would keep doing your homework before you spend money on an American Mastiff. They are not registered with the AKC.

Offline DCMastiffs

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2005, 05:56:38 pm »
Yes, they are mutts.  Anytime you take a breed and mix it with something else, it's a mutt.  Doesn't matter what you call it.  (Labradoodles, puggles, peke-a-poo, etc). I'm sure they're all great dogs, but their owners shouldn't be offended if someone calls their dog a mutt, because it is. 
  About American Mastiffs...the y are english mastiffs (and iffy quality ones at that) that were bred to Anatolian Shepherds.  Supposedly they will drool less.  And have the mastiff personality and less helalth issues.  Well...anatoli ans have many of the same health issues as EMs.  Many large and giant breeds do.  As for the Mastiff personality-please research the personality of Anatolians.  They are NOT friendly, family type dogs.  And the non drooling thing?  Absolutely not true.  Life expectancy for an anatolian is 11-13 yrs. For an EM it is up to 10 yrs.  Blend those and you  may get a pup from either extreme or somewhere in the middle. 
  Also, EMs and AS will both grow very quickly, if you let them.  You MUST feed them correctly or they will grow too fast and have major problems later in life. 
  As with any breed, do your homework before you buy a puppy.  Make sure the breeders have tested their dogs for defects.  Hips, elbows, eyes at least.  All mastiff puppies are cute.  Heck, puppies are cute no matter what they are.  But that doesn't mean they won't grow up healthy.
  Also...there's a girl near me who bought an AS.  Unfortunately, she's one of the many whose pup got the AS personality and the horrible hips from inbreeding and having untested parents.  She would be more than happy to answer any questions from anyone who may be interested in these mixed breed dogs.
  http://mastiffweb.com/cgi/webdiskusjon/hoved.pl?df=4326&meldID=867-3&hID=867

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2005, 06:29:25 pm »
So here is what I think. there are certain breeds who are reg. by AKC, and then there are breeds who are not. Granted a lot of the breeds we have today that are accepted as breeds, were not a few years back. But after extensive breeding and reseraching they bacame a breed we could register.

When it comes to the mastiffs, I own both OEM and Bullmastiff and am extremely happy with them. When you buy any breed you need to do a lot of research before you buy, go way back in bloodlines, check on relatives and whats the disposition and health and conformation is. Also that the breeder follows the ethical rules that breed club has set up. And I dont think it is easier or takes less research when you get an American Mastiff. The health with both breeds depends totally on the genetics and the upbringing, feeding and care they get. And usually the drool issue comes with a square large lip, the bigger the lip the more the drool. I have heard that they should drool less, but dont know if that is the fact or just a myth, I dont think my mastiffs drool more than I can deal with.

Bottom line, I think no matter what breed we buy, we need to be responsible buyers do our research in a lot of areas and make sure the disposition is what we want it to be. The mix in American Mastiff I am sure can be wonderful dogs, but can also be a bit "too sharp" You can see a big difference in an OEM and a Bullmastiff, since there is Bulldog in the Bullmastiff they are a little sharper than the OEM, so it does matter what breeds are in the "final" product.

If you have no interest in showing or competing or being active with your dog, it really doesnt matter it can not be registered, but I dont think that makes it less of a challange to find the right breeder with the right healthy and well dispositioned dogs.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

BabsT

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2005, 06:19:54 am »
I agree with the DC guy...AM are mutts and profit...I spoke to the woman at flying W expressing my concern and she actually knew very veyr little on the breed...I also spoke to a woman that owned a AM named odin that pretty much was a 220 lb Anatolain which is a serious serious breed...

Offline rv581

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2005, 07:22:05 am »
I agree with the DC guy...AM are mutts and profit...I spoke to the woman at flying W expressing my concern and she actually knew very veyr little on the breed...I also spoke to a woman that owned a AM named odin that pretty much was a 220 lb Anatolain which is a serious serious breed...
I gotta pull my "trump card" here -- and that trump card is, I suspect that I know much more about American Mastiffs than non-owners do.

The breed was designed b/c OEMs have so many wonderful traits -- but also have some negative qualities, including excessive drool, certain health problems, and many have shorter lifespans.  AMs have the personality of an OEM, the look & size of an OEM, but generally don't drool (unless it's excessively hot or they've just gulped down half the water bowl!), don't have the health problems associated w/ many larger breeds (including OEMs), and live a very long time.  In fact, the breed has only been around for about 15-years -- and the first AMs have only started to pass away recently.

You've seen my puppy Leon.  Do any of you REALLY think that he looks like an Anatolain?  Come on, guys!

Not all aspects of having AMs are positive.  Because the breeding of 'em is so controlled, their health/ longevity is exceptional -- but a limited supply drives the cost up considerably.  B/c they lack certain "recognition" from the dog show crowd, they lack some of that "prestige" factor.  You don't have hundreds of years -- or hundreds of dogs -- to make conclusions from.  You aren't likely to run into other AM owners in your hometown.

The BEST thing about AMs, in addition to the other qualities I listed, is the accountability .  The breeders are very responsive & very caring about the dogs -- and have even set up an online community to answer questions.  In fact, it was a Big Paws person promoting this site on the AM Board that led me to drop on by!

Check it out at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AmericanMastiffs/messages

Ask your questions about the breed.  There are tons of AM owners & breeders on there -- and I'll give anyone a golden donkey if you can find folks unhappy with their breed selection.

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2005, 08:05:46 am »
I think your baby is BEAUTIFUL No matter if he is a mutt or not. Im sure you did your research and if you wanted to spend extra money Thats your opption. Its great to hear that these American Mastifs have a longer life span. More years to love your baby Who wouldnt want that?? Im new at the pure bread thing but everyone has an oppinion I see and I can see how people could get offended.
Just a question ???? I thought any dog could be registered AKC?? Or does this breed have to be registered as a mixed breed?? Just wondering why not being able to register them is a problem??
 Quote from Marits post>>>If you have no interest in showing or competing or being active with your dog, it really doesnt matter it can not be registered, but I dont think that makes it less of a challange to find the right breeder with the right healthy and well dispositioned dogs.
Also, what is the problem with the Anatolain ( serious serious breed...???) ??
Coonie

Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2005, 02:00:55 pm »
If I remember correctly, which I probably don't, Anatolians are one of those livestock guardian dogs.  Meant to live on their own.  Their very aloof and very dominant.

Ang
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

GR8DAME

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2005, 03:25:24 pm »
I have to admit that I am terribly ignorant when it comes to American mastiffs, I didn't even know that they existed, but I thought that in order to be considered a new breed doesn't the animal have to breed true to type? I mean Strider is a wonderful dog and I love him to death but he is a mutt. Half Irish wolfhound and half great dane. Do you mean to say that I could call him a Dane Hound, breed him and call the puppies purebred because I bred him on purpose? I am not looking to tick off anyone, I am just asking. I thnk no matter if your dog is papered or not, if he/she makes you happy then he/she is perfect.
Stella