Author Topic: Mastiff People, Urgent Question  (Read 3856 times)

Offline Silky&Baron

• Gnawer
  • Baron: Great Pyrenees/Border Collie; 15 months
    • View Profile
Mastiff People, Urgent Question
« on: March 10, 2006, 03:38:53 pm »
How small can a mastiff be? I've got one that I suspect to be dumped in my yard (happens all the time, everyting from shih tzus and jack russells, to pits and labs, I've seen people do it). His face looks totally mastiff, and he is an absolutely gorgeous brindle, but he's only 80-90 pounds. He's pretty stout, but short. He really doesn't look pittie, and his head is huge. I have pics, but no time right this second.
"Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog." -Franklin P. Jones
"There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face." -Ben Williams
"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anonymous

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
Re: Mastiff People, Urgent Question
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 03:44:45 pm »
He could be a puppy, or a bull mastiff.

My OEM female is only about 115-120 at almost 2 years old.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline Silky&Baron

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 03:52:04 pm »
Holy crap. I just looked at the care corso's breed standard, and that's what he looks like. Maybe he's just a small male. I'll have to get him weighed, and I'll post pics later. What should I look for if that's what he is. Is there anything that's a dead give away?
"Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog." -Franklin P. Jones
"There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face." -Ben Williams
"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anonymous

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 03:54:54 pm »
Cane Corsos usually have their ears cropped by the breeder.  Sounds like maybe a bull mastiff?  Or maybe a mastiff/pit or mastiff/boxer mix like Sophie.
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline Silky&Baron

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 03:56:29 pm »
One thing to keep in mind, I'm in Nashville, TN, the land of irresponsible and backyard breeders.

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 04:03:12 pm »
yeah...  but the cane corso is a rarer breed I don't know if there are many breeders that would let their pups go without spay/neuter contracts.  Although I do know that there are some pretty bad CC breeders so I guess you never know....   Post some pictures!    :)
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

kristi

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 04:08:05 pm »
I'm with Rachel...Corso s are really rare...maybe it's a boxer/bullmastiff mix? that would keep it on the smaller side - if it's definitely not a puppy, of course.
waiting to see a pic...
-k.

Offline roxygirl

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 04:26:14 pm »
Itis hard to tell wihtout pictures. I will say that I hvae seen a few mastiffs under 100 pounds say in the 80-90 pound range but usually females and very poorly bred. Corso's are not little dogs. It coudl be Fila, those are very similar to mastiffs but they are much more houndy looking.
Kim
Kim
Great Lakes Mastiff Rescue,Inc.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 04:49:18 pm »
I agree without pix its hard to say much.

It could simply be a boxer mix.  Boxer mixes can have very pitty/mastiffy type heads, depending on what they're mixed with.......... ...and they would be on the smaller weight range (smaller than a mastiff anyways)

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 04:59:48 pm »
Could possibly be a Presa Canario? They're a very stout and look a lot like a small mastiff. What colour of brindle is he? Purebred mastiffs don't come in tiger brindle or black brindle, only a very distinct dark fawn brindle with heavy black striping - they also always have a full black mask.

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 07:13:43 pm »
 ;D  yep we need pic's but i do have to agree it's sounds more like fila or bullmastiff unless it has a mix please show us some pic's it sounds interesting! marina
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

Offline Silky&Baron

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2006, 01:00:37 pm »
Sorry to disapooint, but he dug out. I had him staying in the pen w/my mastiff/chow foster until I figured out what to do with him, and appearantly he's a burrower. I suspect he'll be back, he really likes my foster, and he got food, water and attention. We'll see.
Anyway, it's interesting just to hear. I love mastiffs, just don't know a whole lot about them yet.