Author Topic: I am worried about Chase  (Read 4480 times)

Offline Smaug

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
I am worried about Chase
« on: March 11, 2006, 07:12:15 pm »
Chase tends to hang his tong out of him mouth about one or two inches sometimes when he sleeps.  I looks very cute, but I read something about nerve problems related to this.  Chase is six months old now as of March 2nd.  I did not post any pictures due to if this is an issue that needs medical attention I want to be sure I am serious about it.  Has anyone else with Saints seen this with their puppies?  Thank you.

Truly concerned father,

Joe

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: I am worried about Chase
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 07:19:48 pm »
I've never heard of the problem personally but if it is a nerve problem generally there isn't much that can be done.  Is he showing any other problems...hea d tilt, appetite, fatigue?  If he isn't having any other problems I wouldn't worry too much about it....but if he is I'd suggest scheduling an appointment with your vet.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Proliant

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 08:04:00 pm »
Im not sure if it is anything bad for them ..... my AM Goliath usually sleeps on his back, with his feet in the air and his tonge hanging near his eye. He seems fine to me.  ;D

Matthew and Goliath

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 07:53:47 am »
Hutch does that all of the time! He isn't asleep unless that tounge of his is hanging out, I wouldn't worry so much if otherwise your pup is acting normal. Does Chase have an under bite? That may contribute to the funny sleeping tounge!
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline Proliant

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 01:39:11 pm »
I love the sleeping puppy picture...... too cute.

Bava has his tongue hanging out all the time too. Correct bite but his tongue is just well, there :) Since we've had him he's been like that. Doesn't matter if the floor is covered in hair from a grooming (course his tongue is black at that point covered in hair.)

In all the photo's you see here, his tongue is out, even my avatar. You live in MS, right? Wait til summer :D

Offline Smaug

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 11:01:03 pm »
Thank you all for your responses.  I feel much better now and I feel he is normal and just may have a long tongue.  One thing I was unclear about is head tilt.  When I talk to him and he gets interested in something I am saying he will tilt his head, but I'm not sure if that is what you are talking about.  He looks very cute when he does this, but again, I'm not sure.  He does not show any of the other symptoms you all listed.  He just looks like he understands what I am saying and when he tilts his head when he is listening to me it seems like he is asking me if I am serious about asking him if he wants to take a walk or whatever I am talking about.  He LOVES walks.  Thank you in advance for any additional input.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 11:01:26 pm by Smaug »

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 08:39:06 am »
By a head tilt I mean keeping his head tilted and only able to go straight when curious.  I know an abused Saint that has this problem from nerve damage, her head is tilted to the right and she can't keep her tongue in her mouth because of it.  You'll notice it if he has it it looks like permanent curiosity.

A normal dog will tilt their head out of curiosity my two do it to especially our aussie.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 08:41:42 am by chaos270 »
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties