Author Topic: Does anyone else take their Big Paw Baby to Doggy Day Care ?  (Read 2619 times)

Offline dufus

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Does anyone else take their Big Paw Baby to Doggy Day Care ?
« on: March 14, 2006, 09:54:38 am »
Hi there,

i just wanted to see if anyone else took their Big Paw to Doggy Day care, as pretty much everyone i talk to thinks i am crazy for taking Day-z.  It costs me $25 a day and i drive her there and back, sometimes it is close to where i work, sometimes it is not.  The pluses are she has company all day and plays with the other dogs from 9 - 6, also she does not forget being house-broken, and she is tired at night when she gets home and it also seems now that she has fallen in love with a Pekinese boy (!).

If she did not go then she would be home alone for the day, which she is not used to.  My work situation may change so that i work closer to home and could come back at lunch time to take her out - this might work, but i am not sure that she would have so much fun.  People have suggested that i get her a friend - but i am not sure about this.  And, she prefers small dogs, but i would like a rescue medium or large footed friend.

Am interested to hear what you think.

She goes to www.phoebeandfriends.com and i can not recommend them enough.

Jill
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 09:55:56 am by dufus »

EllieAndBlu

Re: Does anyone else take their Big Paw Baby to Doggy Day Care ?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 10:15:35 am »
That place sounds great - do they except humans? Cause I would like to go!  :)

I think it is a great idea for Day-z, for all the reasons you said and esp. for the socialization.

My Blu used to go to daycare a couple times a week.... he stayed on the "small dog" side because he loves the little ones...  But when his sister Ellie came along (one year later), Mr. Blu had to go to the "big dog" side cause he was protective of Ellie... Blu was just as happy on the big side - cause he likes to wrestle with them.

Blu and Ellie went twice a week (starting when she was 4 months old)and when Ellie was 8 months old - I moved into a house and thus stopped taking her to daycare.... well in retrospect that was a bad decision on my part... cause now she has "issues" when meeting other dogs and that sucks not only for me (oh the stress) but for her - because she loves to play.... but is now limited hanging out with her brother and a couple cousins.

So yeaaaaaaaa for you AND Day-z.... it sounds like a win/win situation for you both!!!

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 07:56:28 pm »
We used to take Zoey to doggy daycare once or twice a week. We would have continued to take her except we stopped trusting the daycare people and it was also too much on her hips playing all day
RIP former BPO

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 08:21:14 pm »
 ;D I think i m going to take Bryce in the spring most of the time i take them to work with me 2 was alright 3 pushing it i would like him to make new friends and not just to hang out and wait for me to home. My other 2 were never left alone at home i have been so lucky that i was able to take them with me or i had my workers take them they were always with someone.Not only do they love every one but they love the truck and are well mannered in the truck. Bryce just needs more so i think i might do that!
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

Offline dufus

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 12:24:49 pm »
One thing that bothers me a little is that as the end of the week comes around Day-z is getting tired and is less keen to go to daycare.

When she is at home with me she sleeps for maybe 22 hrs a day - really.  When she is at daycare she plays all day and is so excited to see me at the end of the day and then sleeps all the way home and all night.

I am kind of thinking that 5 days a week is too much for my big baby.  The crazy thing is she makes the other dogs play, i think they would be happier going for a sleep.  The dogs are taken for a 45 minute walk in the afternoons, and she only goes when it is not so hot, and sometimes for only 20 minutes - then she sleeps after that.  The rest of the time she is playing non stop.

I want to do the best thing for her, but alas i do have to go to work - so maybe i have to investigate options for her not going there 5 days a week.

Jill

Offline Maggie's Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maggie, Simon and Oscar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 04:48:27 pm »
My good friend's take their dogs to Doggy Day Care.  They have a Rott and a Mastiff, and they absolutely love it!  I think it's a good idea, if you can afford it.  If you think she's too tired, then try cutting back from 5 days to only 2 or 3 a week.  Then, she would still get to play and interact with the other dogs, but she would have time to rest as well. 
Stacy, Wes, and Maggie (Great Dane)

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 07:42:56 pm »
Maybe try a Monday Wednesday Friday type of schedule so she gets a day to rest in between and so you can spend time with an awake puppy.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline dufus

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2006, 06:43:45 am »
Hi there,

i have been thinking Mon, Wed, Fri too - but then she would  be home a long time on her own - and longer than she could manage without going the bathroom.

Day care i think it must be.

The best thing really i think

Jill

Offline dufus

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2006, 07:37:19 am »
Hi there,

alas they don't do half days.

They are nice people and she is lazy by nature, so this might do her some good.
I hope :)
Jill