Author Topic: muscle atrophy  (Read 2231 times)

Offline karen8

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
muscle atrophy
« on: March 10, 2006, 10:59:33 pm »
My malamute started crying recently when she ate so I took her to the vet.  He checked her out over the day and ended up giving her a cortisone shot to help with the pain.  It was so bad in her mouth that he had to put her all the way out to look in her mouth.  Anyway, he says that she has muscle atrophy around her hip area, head and especially bad around her jaw which is what was making it hurt so bad.  Did blood work and all came back fine so he's not sure what is wrong with her yet.  He had to go out of town but is back Monday.  Just thought I'd post to see if anyone ever had this happen with their dog and what the diagnosis was.  I'm really worried about her.  She's only 3 1/2.  Poor baby!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: muscle atrophy
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 11:42:11 pm »
Sorry I can't help!  I've never heard of such a thing, but you have all our good thoughts and prayers.  It's awful if any of our puppers are hurting!

Offline karen8

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 11:52:30 pm »
Thank you sooooooo much for all that information.  That will definitely give me somewhere to start.  What you described with Balu's sister is exactly what happened to Angel.  She was off her food which was really bizarre for her and when I tried to feed her a cookie she just dropped it on the floor.  I thought it was a bad tooth.  I will talk to the vet about Masticatory Myositis and see what he thinks.  If that's it, hopefully we've caught it early enough so that no permanent damage has been done.  Thank you again for all that info.  I really appreciate it!

Offline karen8

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 02:36:08 pm »
I talked to the vet today and he does think its Masticatory Myositis.  The cortisone she already got should has another couple of days and we just need to keep a close eye on her.  He'll give me a supply of pills, as needed, for her and I should massage her face area regularly.  She's back to eating hard food again so I'll know right away if she suddenly doesn't eat one night.  You were right about a prior problem.  She has dysplasia in her front legs.  However, that hasn't bothered her since she was a puppy and was growing too fast.  The vet did mention that he was worried a bit about the atrophy elsewhere but that at this point we just need to really watch her.  Sigh...the poor thing.  She's such a sweetheart.  I feel so bad for her.

Offline karen8

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 07:17:17 pm »
Thank you again for all the info!  I really appreciate it!