Author Topic: Im so sad right now  (Read 7548 times)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Im so sad right now
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2006, 09:21:44 pm »
Are you sure that there is nothing wrong with him health-wise? Have you tested everythig including hypothyroidism? I seem to remember you posting about him snapping before and that time it was because of an ear infection
RIP former BPO

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2006, 10:01:37 pm »
I hope everything works out with him, have you contacted your breeder, or some experts with rotti's maybe they have some advice for you.

Nina

Sadly Zeus came from a BYB, I know bad me....But I have contacted a local Rottweiler rescue group to help me help Zeus. And I also know some other Rottie people who can help me. Keep my fingers crossed that my boy will go back to his normal slef. He really is a sweet boy, I hope no one thinks bad of him.  :(
Samson came from a BYB too...She does breed for gaurdian type dogs but has no interest in standard or temperment...Y ou live & learn...That's why we went the extra mile or 1000 to get Pippin...lol.. .Anyway, I found leash training to be a Godsend!!!...I can't take total credit for it though because we had no fence then& had to take Sammy out on leash at all times...Sam would agress on people walking by, kids on bikes, & cars. :o You'll have to keep Zeus on leash, even in the house, when he is in a situation he reacts negatively on...When you see the first sign he is going to react to something in a negative way, before he lunges, snarls, or tries to bite...Yank that leash & give a firm NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...You don't have to hurt him just get his attention...Wh en he reacts in a submissive way by not doing to unwanted behaivor praise him to high Heaven...Treat s are good too but do it immediatly on the good behaivor...He'll get it...Sammy was THE DEVIL...Trust me!...Leash training works wonders!...Good luck!~

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2006, 08:49:35 am »
You are such a good, loving, doggie Mom!! 

I also have no advise - my Harley doesn't listen to a word, however, he is just the sweetest thing - he does enjoy sneaking behind 6 year olds and knocking them down but that is his thing.

I just wanted to let you know that you are a wonderful Mom and that it is obvious how much you love all your babies - I hope Zeus gets thru this (my very unprofessional opinion is he is growning up and trying to show his dominance).

Best of luck to you and your buddies.

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2006, 09:06:42 am »
Blair,

you are the BEST mom! You are so NOT a failure!

I can relate to a pup with issues as my Ellie developed an aggression towards other dogs. We worked with a trainer and she told me many times to "calm it down" (we became friends) because my nervousness was transferring directly to Ellie and she was right! She also recommended I chew on mints when walking Ellie - Altoids to be specific because they are really strong. The trainer said - the minty aroma helps mask the nervousness the dog senses. Some sessions I ate altoids by the handfuls! i don't really know if it made a difference to Ellie - but it helped me focus on being calm and I know that helped Ellie - so when we are out walking - I am popping mints!  :)

Hang in there with Zeus - your baby is a good boy who needs some guidance and you are giving that to him. Your committment to him as a family member and to working through his problems is heartwarming. In fact you've inspired me to get back on the training bandwagon with my own pups!

Rachel

« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 09:11:50 am by EllieAndBlu »

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2006, 09:07:24 am »
I don't have any advice or anything, but I just wanted to let you know that you're an AMAZING Mom. So many people would just throw in the towel at the first sign of trouble. Hang in there, you're doing all the right things!
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2006, 02:12:56 pm »
First of all, if you WERE a bad Mom, you wouldn't be chatting it up on Big Paws Only -- you'd probably be on-line gambline or in some sleazy chat room with a bunch of "singles" GROSS!

Second, I think you're already on top of it.  Whenever Einstein starts even walking through a doorway in front of me, I have to stop everything and TRAIN him again that I'm in charge, I'm the alpha and HE WORKS FOR ME.  I don't know what the behaviourist would say about your husband being the alpha -- where does that leave you when he's not around?  Zeus needs to know YOU are alpha, too.  If I were in your shoes, I'd be spending time every day reinforcing to Zeus that you're the boss -- whether husband is home or not. 

You love Zeus, and when you love your dog you do whatever it takes to help them be happy (and those around them happy, too).

Here's something I lifted from the Dog Whisperer's website:  "In the wild, a dog's very survival depends on a strong, stable and organized pack, where every member knows its place and follows the rules established by the pack leader. The pack instinct is perhaps the strongest natural motivator for a dog."

Sarah

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2006, 02:22:48 pm »
Zues sounds like he's becoming territorial as he matures.  Males can do that.  Grace is territorial. 
I heard that with Rotts especially the training process is never over.  when one of ours gets like that (and they do) we re-establish dominance). I hate doing it.  But it has to be done.  You need to be and sound confident and leaderly. 
let us know what the behaivorist says.
There's a lot to be said about that Alpha thing...even if it's a Alpha woman. 
I take Grace and roll her on her back and growl and snarl at her while on all fours on top of her till she submits.  This is a mild example. 
Zues may just need a little reestablishmen t of the rules and the roles in the house.

Blair

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2006, 02:45:22 pm »
Im still looking for a dog behaivorist. The only one anywhere near me is also a German Shepherd breeder and teaches "protection", so I am not too sure, but I did contact them just in case  :-\

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2006, 02:50:11 pm »
I'm gonna post an article about something like this...but to get dogs used to other people etc. parking lots at the mall are good...any place with lots of people in it...just introduce him gradually in small places first then big.

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2006, 02:54:23 pm »
No help here, sorry :( JUst wanna say blair, that it is good for Zeus that he's with such a good dog-parent, most people would probably not even try to help.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2006, 03:04:18 pm »
I know these articles are mainly about open doors and walking ... but i think some of the same aggressive behaivor might apply.  I'll look for other articles on this.
I have to email them to you.  I can't post Adobe Reader files.

Blair

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2006, 03:05:41 pm »
I know these articles are mainly about open doors and walking ... but i think some of the same aggressive behaivor might apply.  I'll look for other articles on this.

Thank you very much Lin...if you can email them to thegoalieswife@cableone.net

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2006, 03:07:32 pm »

Thank you very much Lin...if you can email them to thegoalieswife@cableone.net
On the way.  let me know if you don't get them.

Blair

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2006, 03:08:44 pm »
Just got an email from you...again thank you

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2006, 03:10:49 pm »
Just got an email from you...again thank you
anything to help.  I hope you can read them.  It's small and faxed.  :)  I'll check into some ideas on how to stop that.  He's a good boy ... just needs his direction and Rottietude changed.