Author Topic: Im so sad right now  (Read 7504 times)

Blair

Im so sad right now
« on: March 14, 2006, 05:01:44 pm »
My sweet boy, Zeus, isnt very sweet anymore  :( I didnt want to post anything and have you all think I am a failure, but I cant handle it anymore. Its too the point where I cant even walk him anymore cause he will snap at people, including kids. And just now he tryed to bite my daughter's friend and all she was doing was just standing there. Luckly he was on leash at the time and I stopped him, but he didnt sound too happy when he went for her. There is nothing wrong with him health wise, I have contacted dog trainers about him and nothing is working. I dont know what to do anymore. Ben told me if he bites anyone seriously he cant stay here cause of the safety of our kids. He has even growled at Skyla. Please what should I do. This isnt the same sweet dog he was.

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Im so sad right now
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 05:05:23 pm »
I don't have any advise for you but just wanted to say that I'm sorry you are having to go through this.  I hope you will be able to find a solution so that you will all be a happy family again.
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 05:12:14 pm »
Oh NO! :'( I am SO sorry to hear you are having trouble with Zeus! I can hardly believe it, he seems like such a sweet one. :-[

How long has it been going on? Do you think he might be jealous because he doesn't think he is getting enough attention? I know some people don't believe that dogs experience jealousy but I sure think they do,and I think they will do some pretty stupid things to try to get extra attention, including being aggressive. :-[ Which is terrible. And I am not saying that is what Zeus is doing, but just wondering. Maybe with the addition of little Smudge recently?  ???

I am here to help you and support you, I wish I had some good advice. For now maybe you can buy some time and keep him separated from kids for a while (If that's possible) while you try to work something out and get to the bottom of things. Don't give him the opportunity to harm anyone during this time, especially if he has started to make a habit out of the bad behaviour.

I am trying to think of something to say to make you feel better, but I know it is so hard!!! Hang in there! Maybe you can sit down and have a talk with him? You'd be surprised what you can pick up from just sitting quietly with your dog and trying to understand what is going on in their mind! Maybe he just needs some one-on-one time???

I hope something can be worked out!!!

Blair

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 05:24:30 pm »
 :'( Ben isnt too trilled about all of this. He snapped at 2 people before Smudge even came. So I dont think its that. I have talked to trainers already, but trainers arent very good here. I have done everything they taught me. Like I said this has been a problem for awhile. i dont know how to talk Ben into letting him stay, cause Ben no longer trusts him and doesnt want him. He doesnt just want to toss him aside but get him into a Rottweiler rescue. But i cant do that, he is my baby. I love that dog so much.  :'( :'(

Icerotti

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 05:48:34 pm »
Oh Blair it made me sad to read this post. How old is Zeus now almost 2? I remember one trainer saying that sometime around the age of 2-3 they start an attitude due to maturity. I would try doing  obedience with him everyday and really lay down the law that you are in charge with him and what he is doing is not acceptable behaviour. This reinforces your position of being boss/alpha. Farley has training on Fri night--I will ask her if she has any ideas.
Our one female rotti had a real attitude---we had to do training everyday to remind her who was in charge ::) After awhile she got it--she still remained a very dominant female. Poor Puck really endured some abuse from that girl :(

You could try using a halti( you can control his head better )e for the time being until you can figure out what is going on with poor Zeus :'(

Good Luck Blair :)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 05:50:37 pm by Icerotti »

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 06:09:48 pm »
I'm so sorry, Blair. I know it's frustrating and scary when they make such a sudden change in disposition. Have you started using any new chemicals or anything in the house that he may be sensitive to? I know it sounds crazy, but it may be the one thing you haven't thought of.

You might try asking your vet about amitriptolyne (not sure if that's the spelling). I've mentioned it before and know someone who uses it on a dog with unexplainable aggression and she swears by it. It's like doggie prozac. It may help him get through that transitional period Icerotti was talking about.

Maybe try contacting the Dog Whisperer, too??

Please keep us posted. I know Zeus wants to be good...

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Blair

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 06:43:44 pm »
Well Ben came home and we had a long talk. He is willing to try some more with Zeus, but if he sees no improve ments or gets worse he can no longer stay here  :-[. I am sitting here thinking of anythin different and I cant think of a thing. Zeus is 2, 3 end of the year. He is so sweet to Grey and shows no aggression to other dogs, just people. I will not give up on him, he is my baby. And I know he is a sweety and I have to fight this with him. But how can I help him with at times I am nervous around him? I have never dealt with this before, so I am at a total lose??? I need to help my boy, I want my sweet happy go lucky boy back. Thank you for all your advice, I will try everything I can for him.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 06:44:18 pm by Blair »

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 07:03:00 pm »
I hope everything works out with him, have you contacted your breeder, or some experts with rotti's maybe they have some advice for you.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Titansmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 07:07:35 pm »
Could you try a basket muzzle in your yard having some friends you can trust help you so you can correct him if he growls or lunges?
This is the only idea I had I wish I had more.
GOOD LUCK with whatever you try.

Blair

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 07:11:33 pm »
I hope everything works out with him, have you contacted your breeder, or some experts with rotti's maybe they have some advice for you.

Nina

Sadly Zeus came from a BYB, I know bad me....But I have contacted a local Rottweiler rescue group to help me help Zeus. And I also know some other Rottie people who can help me. Keep my fingers crossed that my boy will go back to his normal slef. He really is a sweet boy, I hope no one thinks bad of him.  :(

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2006, 07:22:06 pm »
He really is a sweet boy, I hope no one thinks bad of him.  :(

Blair, we all love you and could neves think badly of you.  ;)Sometimes people and dogs go through phase where they aren't very nice and really try all that they can to test their boundaries. Hang in there. Hopefully with some good, intensive dog therapy he can return to his old self. We're sending good thoughts your way and are keeping our fingers and paws crossed for a happy outcome.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Icerotti

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2006, 07:28:09 pm »
Oh Blair I could never  think of Zeus as bad. He has had a few fundamental changes recently. He probably sensed that Diesel was ready to pass way before it happened. That is stressful and a big change in the Pack order. Plus having a new pup is also an adjustment in the pack order. He just may be figuring  out where he fits in. He may be asserting his dominance through aggression. He may be maturing and challenging his pack status.Oh if they could only talk ;)
Try and relax around him( I know easier said then done)--he will be picking up on how uneasy you feel. I notice that with Puck when I walk him--I'm more anxious b/c I am afraid another loose dog will run and d be trouble :-\
I think what you are doing is fantastic contacting the rescue group and others for help. No matter what becomes of the issue you can be satisfied that you did all you could. You see a possible problem arising and you are being a responsible dog owner and doing something about it--hats off to you ;D You are a fantastic dog mommy ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 07:46:23 pm by Icerotti »

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2006, 07:48:18 pm »
I am so sorry!!  It probably won't help but we went through the same thing with our first Pyr.  I think it was probably the most difficult thing I've ever faced in my life.  We loved that dog so much but I was terrified for my other dogs, my kids, visitors, even myself.  We couldn't have anyone over at all.  We lived in constant fear that he would hurt someone and I know he sensed that fear which made it worse.  You mentioned that you have tried trainers, have you tried a behaviorist?  I just mention that because my vet had recommmended I call the Pyr rescue group and when I did, it was a behaviorist who worked with me.  She was absolutely wonderful.  I would  highly recommend having a behaviorist evaluate your dog and see what they think. 
Daphne

Blair

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2006, 07:56:06 pm »
I am so sorry!!  It probably won't help but we went through the same thing with our first Pyr.  I think it was probably the most difficult thing I've ever faced in my life.  We loved that dog so much but I was terrified for my other dogs, my kids, visitors, even myself.  We couldn't have anyone over at all.  We lived in constant fear that he would hurt someone and I know he sensed that fear which made it worse.  You mentioned that you have tried trainers, have you tried a behaviorist?  I just mention that because my vet had recommmended I call the Pyr rescue group and when I did, it was a behaviorist who worked with me.  She was absolutely wonderful.  I would  highly recommend having a behaviorist evaluate your dog and see what they think. 

I will search for one tomorrow, hopefully i can find one near me. But where i live isnt very dog friendly and its hard to fine anything to od with dogs  :-\ But i will search!!!

Kiahpyr

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2006, 08:29:57 pm »
I'm so sorry you're going through this. I don't have any advice either. Hang in there Blair. We all know you'll do all that you can. You're a good mommy too!!!