Author Topic: OK exercise amount  (Read 3054 times)

Offline ZoesMama

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
OK exercise amount
« on: March 15, 2006, 11:06:37 am »
I know that I have to be careful with the amount of exercise for giant breeds, especially while they're growing, but how much is too much?  I like to do a lot of walking... 4 miles per day/5-6 times per week.  I used to take my spaniel mix who had no trouble keeping up, but sadly he's gone now.  I have been hesitant to take Zoe that much, but I miss my walking buddy.  She's almost 15 months.  What do you all think would be safe?

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: OK exercise amount
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 11:27:40 am »
I think it depends....on the shape Zoe's in, on the weather, and on the terrain.  Saints, I think, are somewhat like Newfs.   They don't like hot weather and walking is not their number one favorite sport.  That said, Chester LOVES to go on long rambles...the longer the better.  Cowboy thinks a walking a block is really a block too long!!! ;)

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 12:09:38 pm »
I do long walks with my two dogs.. CAO & CO... i think it depends on how fast you walk....but the dogs are bred to go track through dangerous snowy regions and find people so they should be capable and I think excellent for them and a great stress release

I would build the dog up to 4 miles though dont just start at that much
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 01:47:49 pm »
I like to do a lot of walking... 4 miles per day/5-6 times per week. 

You're always welcome to come down to Houston and walk Einstein!  My feet/back/knees won't allow for strenuous walking, so we go to the dog park couple of days a week -- Einstein can run with the big dogs!

BabsT:  I'm curious:  Do your dogs ENJOY walking?  Einstein seems like he doesn't have much stamina.  Maybe from being neglected before I got him. 
Sarah

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 04:42:08 pm »
Zero will go as long as I go LOL  He hears the leash and he is ready to go and same now for Chara....  I will say until about a year old maybe a little longer he had little desire too...  He was soooo mellow, I thought he was sick LOL 

I didnt start big, just little walks and built him up to larger ones...he does a few miles with ease and looks for more LOL

LGD's as a whole are speed bumps unless there is a threat

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 10:02:54 pm »
I was really concerned about our young Lab pup with this and didn't want to over-exercise him.  I too lost my walking partner and wanted to get back into it but have had to scale back and go slow so that the Eider man can mature.  He's more athletic than my Pyr was so I'm sure he'll be a great partner eventually but for now, I walk part with him, part without.  I had found a great article but the website changed and I was never able to find it back.  I do remember it saying 5 min per month of age.  Here are a couple of informative articles I did find.  The first two are pretty long so I didn't copy but the last I copied just the interesting section.  Go easy, work up slowly and see how she does. 

http://members.aol.com/summersbrook/body_exercise.html

http://furlongspetsupply.com/exercise_guidelines_for_dogs.htm

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/helpful-hints.html

2. No forced exercise, jumping, jogging, field training or road-work, until the dogs are 2 year old and the bones are set. Puppies are just that until at least 18 months of age, when dealing with the large breeds. They are fragile and need supervised exercise in a fenced in area or daily walks with you. The key is moderation and common sense in raising your puppy. For strong bones they need normal moderate exercise in order to develop the proper muscle to support the bone. A good rule of thumb on exercise is: 5 minutes of walking per month of life. If for instance your puppy is 3 months old, it could go for a 15 minute walk.
Daphne

Offline ZoesMama

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 10:25:26 am »
This is excellent information, thanks!  It looks like I can certainly ease her into quite a bit of this...until it gets hot...

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2006, 10:52:38 am »
This is excellent information, thanks!  It looks like I can certainly ease her into quite a bit of this...until it gets hot...
I think your dog will let you know when they've had enough...Samso n would literally sit down & act like he couldn't go on when he was younger...But, sometimes this would happen after a block or two...lol...I am really careful in hot weather...What feels nice to us can be way too much for our big shaggy dogs...I don't walk my dogs if it's over 75 with any humidity.

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2006, 11:07:09 am »
With pups, I just let them do what ever they want and really dont do walking just basic them getting used to a leash.

I dont baby them...if they want to leap, jump, run, walk, and be crazy I let them, I just dont ask them to do anything that involved jumping...but if they want to go up stairs, they all the power to them, i think it is great for confidence.  At about 6 months I start little things with them...remembe r most of these molosser breeds are working breeds bred to do things

Zero and Chara in regards to heat, i let them decide but with concrete areas I dont push issues because their feet can burn

Exercise is great for dogs and not enough exercise is given in my opinion for most dogs...being pregnant and on partial bed rest I too am guilty so they are out and about 3 or 4 days a week in regards to socialization and good walks