Author Topic: New puppy panic  (Read 14630 times)

doggylover

New puppy panic
« on: March 16, 2006, 12:37:32 am »
We were referred to a breeder North of Seattle and went up there to check out the facility.  Everything looked really good to us, but we really don't know what to look for.  I was on another thread and someone was saying that it is a warning sign if the breeder is letting the pups go before 8 weeks.  The breeder we put down a deposit with (and had our hearts set on) said we could take our puppy home at 6-6 and a half weeks of age.  She said she found that they bond more to the human parents that way.  We thought that sounded good...really I just wanted the puppy NOW.  Her dogs look very healthy and she has been breeding for 15 years.  The place was clean and the dogs were friendly and looked amazing.  Am I panicking for no reason?  We got our Badger rotty at age 6 weeks because his mother abandoned the litter and he was basically filling his day bullying his little sister littermates so the backyard breeder we got him from thought it might be better for him to go home with us early.  Should I be freaking out?  We are ok with giving up our $300 deposit...that is NOTHING compared to the importance of getting a happy healthy doggy.
Ronda

lins_saving_grace

Re: New puppy panic
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 12:04:07 pm »
That's a little red flag...but I agree with Tina...there are a lot of things to look for in a good breeder. 
8 weeks is a typical age for a good breeder to let a puppy go home.  We got Lady at 5 1/2 weeks or 6 weeks old.  I like our bond with her better than ours with Grace.  But, I would prefer to get a puppy with good hips, elbows, pedigree, etc. also.
Get online and do a search for other breeders and email a couple and get their opinion on when they let puppies go home with their people.  Kinda nonchalantly say: you have any puppies? how old are they?  what age would you let them leave the litter? 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 12:04:39 pm by lins_saving_grace »

doggylover

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 12:45:55 pm »
I got online like you said and sent out emails to a few other breeders.  The parents were friendly and looked healthy and happy.  Everything else felt really good, in fact, we had already gone to two other people to look at dogs and one of them was a backyard breeder and the other one had great looking dogs but they were all in massive yard enclosures (it looked like they were healthy and happy but we wanted house dogs). 
I will let you know when I hear back.
Ronda
Thank you so much!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 02:12:22 pm »
We got very lucky with Lady (she was a backyard puppy).  only problem is she wasn't bred with care.  Grace was.  She was bred to not be so large and unpredictably unhealthy. 
You may get a very good dog from the place who's letting the pups go so early.   If it's a reputable breeder this pup may be a great dog. 
I like getting dogs as early as 6 weeks.  I just know it's not a standard practice.  Trust your gut and listen to the advise of the people you may hear back from.  Maybe get your vet's opinion.

Offline Titansmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 06:16:58 pm »
When my cousin got her GSD the breeder started sending the puppies out with the new owners at 6 weeks for a few hours everyday to bond but didn't let them go permanently until 8 weeks.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 06:50:52 pm »
Here's an alternative view....accord ing to some dog training books, that breeder is correct.  The developmental stages for a puppy allow him to bond closest at between 6 - 8 weeks.  I got my first Newf at 7 weeks and we seemed to breathe in sync. He was my shadow!!!  Maybe it's just coincidence but it worked for me.  If everything else is good, if your vet agrees, I'd consider it.... ;)

doggylover

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 07:54:43 pm »
Here's an alternative view....accord ing to some dog training books, that breeder is correct.  The developmental stages for a puppy allow him to bond closest at between 6 - 8 weeks.  I got my first Newf at 7 weeks and we seemed to breathe in sync. He was my shadow!!!  Maybe it's just coincidence but it worked for me.  If everything else is good, if your vet agrees, I'd consider it.... ;)
I can't tell you how good your responses were to hear.  Did I mention that I am PSYCHOTIC about getting this puppy?  It would be emotionally painful for me to pull out of the deal now.  I will see if I can find out anything about the breeder from other breeders, and hold my breath. 
Thanks again!
Ronda

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2006, 08:12:40 pm »
I found the bit I was referring to.  According to the Monks of New Skete "the Art of Raising a Puppy"  (page 51, if you have the book  ;))   

" The sixth week is pivotal in puppy development.  The main emphasis of socialization begins to shift from mother and littermates toward human beings and the world beyond".  There is far more detail but, there is justification for your breeder's view.  They are very clear, however, about NEVER adopting a puppy under six weeks of age.

doggylover

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2006, 11:18:42 pm »
Thank you for that bit of research.  The breeder was very clear that she wouldn't let the pups go until 'between 6 and 6.5 weeks'.  I am terribly paranoid about puppy mill situations because when I was in my early twenties and not too bright (I bloomed late) I got a puppy from a pet store ::cringe:: and the dog was totally wacko.  He would run into walls at full speed, bite everyone, and roll in his own feces.  We ended up putting him to sleep but not until we had spent thousands of dollars on behaviorists/medications (he was on phenobarbital near the end) and new carpet for the house due to the fact that despite my best efforts he would pee and poop in the house and smear it everywhere.  It nearly killed me to put him to sleep, I cried for 2 years almost nightly.  Then I did my homework and learned everything I could before I got Badger. 
We just don't want to go through another nightmare, and most of all we don't want to contribute profits to the puppymill/torture industry.
Thanks again!
Ronda

doggylover

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2006, 02:16:51 am »
LOL once you guys really get to know me you will learn not to encourage me too much.  When you say 'post a lot of pics' to me, that means, 'please bore us to death with 500 different pics of your new pup going potty, sleeping, eating, sleeping, playing, sleeping, snoring, farting'.  I currently have over 1000 pictures of Badger our rotty.  It is so out of control over here!
Thanks again you guys are wonderful ;D

GR8DAME

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2006, 07:29:53 am »
We have had two pups come in the house at 5-5 1/2 weeks. Bandit was my son's male doberman. His mama, Bela, had 14 puppies and couldn't feed them all, so they were on supplimental feedings and weaned early. He was the largest of the bunch and I took him home and continued the  routine. He was the most loving, tolerant dog I have ever owned, great with people and other dogs. Strider was supposed to be 7 weeks old when we got him from the animal control/shelter. According to the vet he was much younger tho. He is a collar eating velcro dog/terrorist but he is young yet.Although I never (well not often, as we are off to buy collars 6 and 7 today)regretted getting my dogs early or not, I do prefer that they be closer to 8-12 weeks.
Stella

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2006, 08:10:16 am »
I got Rocco at a little shy of 7 weeks and he turned out great.  He is very friendly with dogs and people.  I got Maia at 12 weeks and it tooks some training since she was being kept in the goat barn with her brothers because the puppies were escaping and destroying their house.

I think it all depends on the dog, the situation, and how you handle it.  Good luck.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

doggylover

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2006, 12:34:43 am »
LOL once you guys really get to know me you will learn not to encourage me too much.  When you say 'post a lot of pics' to me, that means, 'please bore us to death with 500 different pics of your new pup going potty, sleeping, eating, sleeping, playing, sleeping, snoring, farting'.  I currently have over 1000 pictures of Badger our rotty.  It is so out of control over here!
Thanks again you guys are wonderful ;D

The chopping wood shirtless thing won't be forgotten  ;)  I will wait until you least expect it, and there my new pup will be, in pants, no shirt, with an axe in her mouth.  You are SO bad ;D

As long as you don't share pics of your poor puppy shirtless, chopping wood for your enjoyment, it will be fine. 
;D ;D ;D

Holly

doggylover

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2006, 02:09:40 pm »
OK I did my research and I feel much better.  You guys were right, according to other breeders, this is only a concern when combined with other red flags.  My breeder appears to have a very good reason for this, and I'm greatful, she seemed like a genuine dog lover, and I would have been unhappy to think I had misjudged someone so strongly. 
I am SOOO excited. 
::pant pant::

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2006, 03:03:38 pm »
When do we get to see pictures??  Whine! whine!