Author Topic: Raised water and food or not?  (Read 11298 times)

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Raised water and food or not?
« on: May 27, 2005, 06:20:39 am »
I have noticed that a few people here have indicated that they use raised water and food dishes for their pups. We have only had Hutch for a year now and bloat was a, and still is, a big concern. The preventitive measures that they have for bloat are constatly changing. However, almost everything I read has said that raised dishes are a major factor in contributing towards bloat. I was just wondering how others here feel about this?
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

GR8DAME

Re: Raised water and food or not?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 07:49:50 am »
I've always had either dobermans or danes, both of whom are prone to bloat. I started with the raised dishes when my first dobe got arthritis in his neck, and couldn't drop his head to eat without pain, so now I just use them because I'm used to it, and it keeps the brats from carrying around their bowls, and dumping food or water all over. I haven't had any bloat with either method of feeding..KNOCK ON WOOD!!!!! I think that there are many factors involved in bloat, and I doubt that any one thing can absolutely cause or prevent it.
Just my thought.
Stella

Offline SwissysRock

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • I love my SWISSY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 07:55:51 am »
I've heard conflicting reports as well.   :-\  On one hand, raised dishes are good for our giant dogs when it comes to their joints - but on the other hand, we've heard they attribute to bloat.  I haven't used a raised bowl yet, but I don't know if I should switch either.  Can anyone else share their experience?  Thanks!

-Tina
Tina
:)
Riley's Momma

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 09:15:49 am »
I love my raised dish, I think it looks better, it was handmade by my ex.  It also relieves my back becaue I don't have to bend over.  I also don't have to look for the bowl since they can't carry it off.  The bowls don't move while they eat, I don't trip over it.  I have nothing but good to say about raised feeders.  But I think it is like anything else, it is up to your opinion and preference.  I haven't had my guys get bloat but I try to follow all of the other guidelines too.

I'll take a picture so you guys can see this raised feeder I am so in love with.  I'm pathetic, I know.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 11:01:14 am »
This whole issue of bloat scares the ---- out of me. I don't use raised bowls, I did concider because it looks like it would be more comfortable for them but my breeder said no, I do value her advice. Just like with horses its natural for them to eat at ground level, like they would graze in the field. The local newspaper "Newsday" even had a story about bloat last week, when we were at the vets office there was a dog in surgery for bloat, 3 weeks ago Apache's sire bloated. Im really starting to freak. I feed moisten/softened kibble & say my prayers.
Carolyn

Carolyn

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 12:24:21 pm »
I just read a new report saying that the excersize thing may not be as potentially dangerous as they once thought too. It is so hard to tell with all of the conflicting information out there. Thanks everyone for all of your replies.
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline Jason

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005, 02:40:55 pm »
I have always fed Oreo from raised food and water bowls. He had bloat and torsion 3 years ago and I can honestly say I don't believe there is any correlation between dish height and bloat. Bloat is more unpredictable than the weather.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2005, 05:37:48 pm »
Has anyone done the preventative surgery for bloat(where the Dr. tacks the stomach to ??? so it can't flip or torsion)  when their dog was spayed/neutered?  How has it worked?

Offline Jason

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2005, 08:50:42 pm »
They tacked Oreo AFTER his bloat and torsion surgery. We haven't had any problems since. I understand that dogs who had bloat before are more susceptible to have it reoccur. So they usually tack the stomach while they are in there. I can't speak for getting it done early as prevention, but I imagine it is worth looking into if there is a history in the dog's family/bloodline.

Jason

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2005, 09:08:21 pm »
When I first started to have giant dogs about 25 years ago, they said certain things they said would help to prevent the bloat, and from time to time they change it. I used to feed in raised when I had danes, with Hera and the other ones not, simply because they are not as tall, when Galahad gets bigger I guess I will though. I have lately heard the same things that they now think the raised dish is not doing much good, but I tend to take all the reports and studies with a grain of salt, because they change so often. Things they say have an impact on bloat is the food dish, exersise before and after feeding, stress, not feed too much at a time rather spread it out on two or three times a day, be sure to give enough water with food, so not too much moisture has to be taken from the body in order to digest the kibbles. But I think one real big factor if genetics, certain lines seem to tend to be more prone to bloat than others. So personally I think it is a combination of a bunch of things. Mind you one thing that seems to be real important is to not let their bellies get totally empty inbetween meals, I read a study that stated that as good as all the dogs that come in with bloat has an empty stomach. But it is a very complicated topic thats for sure.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2005, 10:04:11 am »

There has been much written about bloat, but the most credible study remains the Purdue study. If you have not seen it, definitely get a hold of it online.  The purdue study found that raised bowls do not help with bloat, but "could"  enable the large chested dog to drink/eat faster and intake more air given its position to the bowl.  Several have suggested that making the dog bend over for its food slows down air intake.  This does not mean, nor do I believe should be taken as, raised bowls "cause" bloat.  Just a warning to watch for.

It should be understood that it does not help prevent bloat however.  A far bigger culprit to the cause of bloat is genetic pre-diposition (is it in the dog's lines within 3 generations), eating dry food without moisture, and eating small sized bits (as in small kibble), one bulk meal per day (instead of two), activity following after a meal (1-2 hours) and stress.
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2005, 10:13:55 am »
Think of it this way.

The wild canids your dog evolved from do not every eat from a raised area.

They eat and drink from the ground with head lowered.

THIS is the natural eating posture for a dog.

It may look uncomfortable to US, but it is the NATURAL way for a dog.

If they have an item that takes a longer time to eat, they generally lie down, (like a good bone to chew).

Here is the link to the Purdue info

http://www.vet.purdue.edu/epi/bloat.htm
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2005, 10:21:41 am »
I haven't read anything about raised dishes preventing bloat, but it does prevent them from regurgitating there food and water. My brother dane will get sick unless she eats from a raised dish, I think it is from all the air she inhales frim bending her neck that far down. We have the dogs water dish raised but I think that I will have to raise it more because Dilbert has been getting sick.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2005, 10:22:43 am »
I think the raised dishes are great for the joints in the neck...as for whether it caises bloat or not....I have read as many of the studies I could find and it seems that bloat is truely unpredictable.  I am going to get the pastropexy when I have Willow spayed - why not try and reduce the risk of torsion.  The surgery will not prevent bloat though.  I think if you are prepared it will help alot.  Keep gas-x or phazyme (sp) on hand.  Also you can have a bloat kit...actually keep a nasogastric tube on hand to insert to help relieve the pressure build up.  Ask the vet to show you how to put it in....I am a nurse and do it with humans all the time...its not that hard. so I am just going to keep on on hand here to place if there is an emergency.  Just helps with the time factor on getting the baby to the vets office.
Timmie

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2005, 10:25:34 am »
Think of it this way.

The wild canids your dog evolved from do not every eat from a raised area.

They eat and drink from the ground with head lowered.

THIS is the natural eating posture for a dog.

It may look uncomfortable to US, but it is the NATURAL way for a dog.

If they have an item that takes a longer time to eat, they generally lie down, (like a good bone to chew).

Here is the link to the Purdue info

http://www.vet.purdue.edu/epi/bloat.htm
I am not being argumentative here at all...Please know this when I say that whenever I hear what wolfs or our dog's wild anscestors did in realation to how we should care for our dogs I always wonder what the average life expectancy was for the said wolfs & anscestors. :-\ The whole bloat issue is confusing to say the least!...As far as raised dog dishes I don't use them & that does make sense that it's not a natural way for them to eat...I have a friend with an elderly Akita/Lab mix that had thought about using them because his old bones are achey...So he wouldn't have to stoop over so much to eat.