Author Topic: Skinny Puppy?  (Read 3009 times)

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Skinny Puppy?
« on: March 17, 2006, 02:59:46 pm »
When Teddy stands up you can clearly see his hip bones and his waist.  He is 10 weeks today.  Is this normal for pups of this age?

He is eating about 3 cups of Iams large breed puppy food per day. (1 cup - 3 times a day but he never finishes a cup at one time) We offer him more whenever his bowl is empty but he doesn't seem to bother too much with it. (the bag says he can have up to 4 cups now)

He never acts ravenously hungry or wolfs down his food, mostly just pics at it a bit and then goes back for more later.

Any words of reassuance out there for me?  Is he acting normal for his age?

« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 03:00:35 pm by PennyK »
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline cuttles/sadieMay

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Skinny Puppy?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 03:41:19 pm »
I was just wondering if he has been dewormed? Im thinking that if he hasnt that maybe the worms are taking all the nutrience from what he is eating? Somebody correct me if Im wrong because Im not sure. Also have you noticed if his belly looks large and bloated at all after he eats? This could also be a sign of worms. Hope this helps a bit.
Carole

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 03:56:15 pm »
He was dewormed with strongid (I think thats the name of it) on 2/24/06, the day we brought him home (he was 7 wks then).
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline cuttles/sadieMay

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 04:11:44 pm »
Well that was the only thing I could think of. Im not sure what the directions are on the deworming medicine you have but the stuff I had for Kayzer says to do it every 10 days to avoid infestation??? I also got something from the vet just to make sure and it also had to be repeated in 10 days. You may want to check on your dewormer to see if it has to be repeated! Hope this helps.
Carole

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 05:33:00 pm »
The only advice I can offer is dont worry too soon, if the dog is happy and healthy it may just be putting all the food into growth at the moment and will broaden out again in a couple of weeks.

You could also try adding an egg to his 3 cups a day I have done this with my newfs I usually add the shell ground up as well for the calcium.

Remember, a dog that is slightly underweight is far better than one that is slightly over weight.

Andy Bell & Hovis
Slime flies when you're having fun!

cricket36580

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006, 08:37:46 pm »
If he was only dewormed once, he could still be wormy.  Whips are notoriously hard to kill...5 day treatment with fenbendazole (Strongid, Panacur) It's a tough call since eggs don't always show up in a fecal either. If you live where there is a livestock feed store, they usually sell strongid for dogs.  It comes in a powder and is in packets that you add to the food.  This is also known as Safe guard.  You can't overdose them on it (hence the name) so it's worth a shot.  The drug stays in the GI tract and is absorbed into the bloodstream only in minute amounts.  Also, if he's "nervous" he'll be a hard keeper.  Nervous as in personality not stress induced. 

GR8DAME

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 09:11:02 am »
Having been obessed over the wieght of my very health dane, I can relate totally. I would have him vet checked again, in case of worms or an underlying problem. Once he gets a clean bill of health from them I would look at his behavior. Is he happy, energetic..pro perly "puppy rotten"? Good coat and skin, shiney eyes? Puppies all go through the "uglies" when they grow too fast, get skinny and then rest, fatten up and wait for the next growth spurt. An egg, a little cottage cheese, yogurt, or a couple of teaspoons of canned food in each meal could increase his appetite nad give him a bit of a boost. As long as he vet checks fine and behavior indicated a healthy puppy I wouldn't worry too much.
Stella

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2006, 09:56:48 am »
Chester, too, has always just picked at his food and is not a very large Newf, at this point (just over a year and 97 pounds).  I've tinkered with his food, like every body else and have found that by adding 'goodies' he's doing much better.  Scramling an egg, adding freshly cooked meat with the juices, plain rice with carrots, meat and veg all mixed with his kibble (Natural Balance Allergy Formula...duck) have gotten him to eat much better and with more interest. He's eating a bit over a cup twice a day.....

If he seems spunky and involved, eyes bright and interested, moving well, he might just be a picky eater. It would be good to check in with the vet, though if he doesn't pick up soon. ;)

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2006, 08:04:16 am »
If he was only dewormed once, he could still be wormy.  Whips are notoriously hard to kill...5 day treatment with fenbendazole (Strongid, Panacur) It's a tough call since eggs don't always show up in a fecal either. If you live where there is a livestock feed store, they usually sell strongid for dogs.  It comes in a powder and is in packets that you add to the food.  This is also known as Safe guard.  You can't overdose them on it (hence the name) so it's worth a shot.  The drug stays in the GI tract and is absorbed into the bloodstream only in minute amounts.  Also, if he's "nervous" he'll be a hard keeper.  Nervous as in personality not stress induced. 
You have to deworm at  least twice...I like to do it 3 times about 3 weeks apart...The dewormer only kills the adults not the eggs!...Also keep in mind that the guidelines for amounts to feed on the bag are only suggestions... It will vary depending on the age, breed, & activity level of your dog...Good luck & keep us posted! :)