Author Topic: sad news for zena  (Read 7573 times)

Offline poseidon

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
sad news for zena
« on: March 20, 2006, 09:08:53 pm »
We have some bad news to report. Today when I got home from work one of Zenas puppies had died.  We think she may have layed on it or something.  The head was kinda flat on one side.  Has anyone ever been through this.  I had been crying alot (again). 

Chris

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: sad news for zena
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 09:17:17 pm »
Oh no! :'( I am so so sorry. That is so sad. With a big heavy mommy like that... aw poor little puppy. :'(

My Rottie had a litter when I was a teenager, and one night soon after the babies were born I found one of them cold and lifeless. It is so heartbreaking. I know exactly how you feel.

Is everyone in a "whelping box"? I have seen a design that has these ledges on the sides that are supposed to help prevent mommies laying on babies... here is a picture of one, it has the railings around near the bottom. Maybe if yours doesn't have those you could put some in??

I sure hope the rest of the babies will stay safe. Hang in there. Now there will be more milk and love for the ones you still have. Again I am so sorry. :-[

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 09:29:51 pm »
Here's another picture with a different version of guard rails.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 09:32:29 pm »
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that.  but it's not an uncommen thing, and that is one reason they now have whelping boxes with ledges as doghealer suggested.

I hope the rest of the pups are doing well.

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 07:22:21 am »
Whelping boxes are a great idea but I stopped using them  I had a puppy actually die because of the ledge - he was crawling over it when mom changed position and crushed him between the ledge and her  - this was a 3 day old puppy.  So now we whelp in a private room with an expen to keep puppies contined - the x pen will move when mom lies against it and will not crush any puppy cause there is a hard surface

Offline roxygirl

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 08:52:45 am »
Oh Chris, I am so sorry  :'(
Kim
Kim
Great Lakes Mastiff Rescue,Inc.

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 08:56:59 am »
I am so sorry to hear about the pup!

Offline poseidon

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 09:24:19 pm »
Thanks for all the advice.  I'm just curious about the rails and how it works.  What if the mom in in the middle of the box, how can it stop her from laying on them? The pup that was dead was in the middle of the box.  How big are the welping boxes y'all are using?  Thanks again for any advice you can give me.  I never want to go through this again.  I almost don't want her to have any more babies, because it is so hard to lose puppies when you love them so much.

Thanks, Chris

Offline cuttles/sadieMay

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 11:31:26 pm »
Such sad news!  :'( Sorry for your loss!
Carole