Author Topic: my babys sick!  (Read 3955 times)

Offline lulu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
my babys sick!
« on: March 18, 2006, 09:57:14 am »
  we took cooper to petsmart to play and pick out a new toy. on the way home, he had diarrhea all over the back seat of my car. i had absolutely nothing with me to clean it with so i had to drive all the way home with the smell!!ugghhhh, it was so digusting. the last couple of days cooper has had gas, and now after the car incident, i am a but worried. we switched his puppy food about 2 weeks ago, from Iams, to Innova. we have also been adding some cottage cheese to his food, so i am wondering if that is the problem. we're gonna stop doing it for a while and see if there is a change in his gasiness. anybody have any suggestions for a dog with dairrhea?

Offline iluvbigdogz

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: my babys sick!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 10:47:19 am »
Maci just had colitis from her spay. The vet gave me medicine but she also told me when her dogs get diarreah she gives them bread. She told me to give her 1/2 of a loaf of it.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 10:53:54 am »
Slippery Elm and Imodium Advaced.  Try Gas-X for the gas pains.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 11:03:02 am »
Lisa/DixieSugarBear told us about the Slippery Elm, and it really works great.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 11:33:20 am »
Did you slowly transition when you switched foods? If not, that is probably a big part of the problem. It is also possible that something about the innova doesn't agree with him. And it is also possible that he got into something and that it isn't related to his food at all.

You have already recieved some great advice about how to treat the diahrea. A bland diet of boiled hamburger and rice for a few days is great for helping calm the stomach down. Even just mixing plain cooked rice into his food should help 'bind' him. A little bit of pumpkin is also good - what I do  since you can only buy big cans plain pumpkin is I scoop it into ice cube trays, freeze them, then pop them out and put them in a plastic bag in the freezer. Then, whenever Zoey has an upset tummy I give her one or two cubes either frozen or I pop it into the microwave for 30 seconds and mix it in with her food. I have never tried slippery elm but I am sure it works. And a little pepto bismal is also helpful.
RIP former BPO

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 12:45:50 pm »
I feel like the queen of diarreah especially with Tonka having IBD...instead of cottage cheese you could try plain yogurt (not fat free though it will make it worse) non fat works. I use 2 tsp per meal. Also Chicken broth and rice, pepto (which I used on Nala today). The only thing with pepto some dogs have an allergy to Red #40 I literally only give Nala a little bit of pepto. Hope your baby gets better.

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 12:50:13 pm »
Eider man was the king of poop for a long time.   ::)  Pepto, rice and pumpkin were my dear friends.  He's a lot better now but still has a sensitive tummy.  I'd stop the cottage cheese for a while and see if that helps.  If a dog has not had milk products from the time they were a puppy, it can cause problems to start feeding it.  Good luck!  Pooping like that is no fun for pup or mom!
Daphne

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 12:50:29 am »
a word of warning

going to pet smart, or any pet stores where dogs can walk in, is a accident waiting to happen
you do not know, if the other dogs are vaccinated, wormed, and, god forbid, have parvo.highly contagious.
we bleach our shoes, or change them, anytime we come home from a dog show, or park, where other dogs have been.
better safethen sorry,, pet stores do not put up signs, enter at your own risk.  i have seen too many pups and dogs get sick, because of, lets sell anything to make a  buck at petco, petsmart or any other pet stores. they do not disinfect for diseases.   as a ex vet tech, at a shelter, ive seen too much sickness and death.  an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!
TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 11:41:19 pm »
Canned pumpkin (pure not with spices!) rice & boiled hamburger for at least a day...Samson was the king of booty blowouts as a pup & this always worked for us!...As far as taking your dog into Petsmart, Petco, etc...Just make sure he has all of his vaccinations current including bordatella (kennel cough) & worms happen...lol.. .I think it is important to socialize your dogs as much as possible!!Use precautionary measures & strut your mutt!! :) (just a figure of speech here that happens to rhyme with strut...lol!) :)

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 05:20:28 am »
Canned pumpkin (pure not with spices!) rice & boiled hamburger for at least a day...Samson was the king of booty blowouts as a pup & this always worked for us!...As far as taking your dog into Petsmart, Petco, etc...Just make sure he has all of his vaccinations current including bordatella (kennel cough) & worms happen...lol.. .I think it is important to socialize your dogs as much as possible!!Use precautionary measures & strut your mutt!! :) (just a figure of speech here that happens to rhyme with strut...lol!) :)

we have a doggy play day here, and at other friends homes

the dogs get socialized, and we know they all her disease free. and we all always have so much fun.us humamns get to socialize too.
last week, one dog jumped in the pool, and others fell in, no animal was hurt, and some came home nice and clean 8)

also, there was a litter there, and we all got to play with puppies, so adorable.

TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks