Author Topic: Newfie vs Pyr  (Read 6750 times)

Gypsy Jazmine

Re: Newfie vs Pyr
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2006, 03:40:04 pm »
I don't know how she'd deal with being turned into primarily an outdoor dog.  Obi is already used to being outdoors and not getting much interaction.  He'd still be outdoors here but with much more interaction with people.

That is where there is a difference between Newfs and Pyrs, it seems. A Pyr is going to be out cruising the perimeter at night, and a Newf is going to want to be in with you sleeping on your feet.  I think it all depends on what you want from a dog.  A Newfie really requires as much human time as possible.  To keep one outside would break his heart.  They are working dogs, yes, but working along side his person.  From what I'm reading, pyrs are more independant. 

This, of course, is just my humble opinion... ;)
Pyrs are most definitely independent!...But my guys are happy to cuddle up at night...Pippin would sleep right on top of me if I let him! :-\ Samson wants to be by my side & in the house more often than not...Pippin likes to pretend he is an outdoor dog during the day though. :D

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2006, 04:06:43 pm »
Pyrs love it when they can have a dog door and go outside when they feel the need to guard.  Dixie hates it when I close off "her" door for the night. 

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2006, 04:14:11 pm »
See!  I'm still learning about that amazing breed.  They really seem to be the best of both worlds.  A Newf might protect you...but it sounds like a Pyr WILL!!!  But both know the comfort of a good cuddle! ;)

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2006, 04:28:00 pm »
Thats one thing I love about this board, we all have our favorite breeds and characteristic s that we want in a dog companion, but we don't criticize each other at all, we learn instead.  I've learned a lot more than I ever knew about the tempermants of some of the different breeds just from reading everyone stories and thoughts.

Like the Caucasian Ovcharka thread, I think those are hands-down just the coolest looking dogs, but from reading here, I know that they are probably too intense for our lifestyle.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2006, 04:11:59 am »
I vote go for a Pyr and a newfie! That way the newfie can guard the bed and the Pyr can guard the house.

Lisa, (who would love to have a newfie to go with my pyrs)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2006, 05:05:41 am »
Lisa, you really DO have the very best ideas!!! ;D ;D

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2006, 12:48:03 pm »
I vote go for a Pyr and a newfie! That way the newfie can guard the bed and the Pyr can guard the house.

Lisa, (who would love to have a newfie to go with my pyrs)

Oh, you're a sick woman!  LOL!!  Thing is, I already HAVE 4 couch warmers.  Can't let them guard the bed due to allergies.  That is the main thing that concerns me is that if Newfies are so much like a Lab, that most of them really would not be happy outside.  Thor was more family oriented than most LGD types but he was definitely obsessive about being outside at night and he was an awesome guard.  Even when he was dying, he still wanted to be outside up until the last week or so.  I think I'll just keep looking and waiting until just the right dog seems to jump out at me.  Obi sounds like he'd work great - he's been outside tied up all his life.  Coming here would be more attention, more interaction, more freedom.  I would never try to take a house dog, Pyr or Newfie, and try to turn it into an LGD.  I think that would be way too hard on the dog and I certainly don't want to make a dog unhappy.  No rush, we'll wait for the perfect fit. 

BTW, Piper seems a bit better today.  I still think it won't be long but I didn't call to make the appointment yet.  She came out to the barn today with me and is breathing better than she was this weekend.  She's still more subdued than she has been in the last few months but she doesn't seem uncomfortable now like she was this weekend.  It is hard to know when the time is right.
Daphne

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2006, 01:20:53 pm »
She will let you know when its time.

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2006, 02:01:00 pm »

That is where there is a difference between Newfs and Pyrs, it seems. A Pyr is going to be out cruising the perimeter at night, and a Newf is going to want to be in with you sleeping on your feet.  I think it all depends on what you want from a dog.  A Newfie really requires as much human time as possible.  To keep one outside would break his heart.  They are working dogs, yes, but working along side his person.  From what I'm reading, pyrs are more independant. 

This, of course, is just my humble opinion... ;)
That can be true of Pyrs most definitely!...& you are right about them not wanting to sleep at your feet!...This is more what we get around here!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2006, 02:05:05 pm »
Hahahaha!!!  Guess he doesn't have to worry about getting cold  huh!!!!

I LOVE that picture!!!

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2006, 02:11:34 pm »
That is one of my very fav. pics!!...It is very comman to have Pippin right on top of you...The drawback is he gives no warning...He pounces like a cat!...That very night, immediatly after such a pounce, my hubby found himself walking around the kitchen doubled over in pain!...Evidently Pippin had placed a paw in an uuuuuuummmmmmm mmmmmmmmm sensative location!...LMAO!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2006, 02:14:57 pm »
Oh....hahahaha!!  Chester has done that as well.  He doesn't pounce, though, he 'tip-toes' on to our bed in the morning..but sometimes he puts a foot wrong, and DH awakes screaming!!!  I can't help (insert sadistic laugh here) but giggle!! 

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2006, 04:17:16 pm »
I can only answer half of this question since I own a Newf and I've never really been around Pyrs.  From everybody's comments, these breeds are really similar in temperment.  Although Drake is an exception, Newfs tend to have a lot of health issues so you need to do your homework on breeders and their dog's lineage.  As for Pyrs being good guard dogs, Drake will go from being sound asleep to flying to the door barking because he hears something outside.  He is very attentive and I noticed most other Newfs are too.  I think the biggest decision you need to make on this one is what would you rather have all over your house, Black fur or White fur?  Other than that, you can't go wrong with either breed.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 04:19:04 pm by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2006, 06:43:02 pm »
Pippin is a doll!  That picture is absolutely a gem!  I think he's on my kidnap list, along with Sam & Max, Bear, Fumble, Cowboy, Kiah, Ruckus... oh my, don't think I can think of them all of the top of my head!
Daphne

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2006, 01:15:10 am »
Pippin is a doll!  That picture is absolutely a gem!  I think he's on my kidnap list, along with Sam & Max, Bear, Fumble, Cowboy, Kiah, Ruckus... oh my, don't think I can think of them all of the top of my head!
If you must kidnap Pipper McGee will you PLEASE take Rosie too?...They are very bonded as is evident in the couch cushion they ate together this evening! :o...I'd hate to see the unruley hoodlums seperated!...Samson will miss them but do his best to get over it :D...lol!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 01:18:29 am by Gypsy Jazmine »