Author Topic: first day of puppy school...  (Read 983 times)

Offline lulu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
first day of puppy school...
« on: March 20, 2006, 02:48:47 pm »
  well, yesterday was coopers first day of puppy school. we are just taking him to Petsmart so we didnt really have super high expectations. mostly we were hoping for socialization with other pups on a regular basis. so, the class starts and we find out there are only 2 other dogs in the class other than cooper. one is a boston terrier (which shook the entire class, i dont know whether it was cold or scared?), the other is a daschund. both owners of those dogs seemed to think that cooper, my 12 wk old golden retriever) was too big to play with their dogs. so for most of the class, the other 2 dogs played and poor cooper was left out. other than that though, the class went pretty well. the trainer gave us a "clicker" to use for training. i have heard (read)some good things about clickers. she also reccommended bell training for potty training. so we got a bell and have started using that.
  anybody here have any good/bad experiences with clicker and bell training? or any suggestions?
  next week are going to work on 'sit' and 'leave it'. cooper already knows how to sit but sometimes chooses not to! so, overall, puppy school is going well so far and we are excited about next week.
  has anybody else gone to the petsmart puppy/obedience training? if so, what do you think?

Gypsy Jazmine

Re: first day of puppy school...
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 12:05:26 am »
If you want to talk about too big to play with the other doggers...lol. ..Samson was put in puppy kindergarten at almsot 6 months old...The cutoff was 5 months but he had serious issues!....Well, Sammy was over twice the size off the biggest pup there...But, upon hiding under a folding chair as best he could, for the whole 1st class the other owners saw he was no threat & took great amusement in Sammy being backed down by their much smaller pups...lol...I didn't clicker or bell train but I've heard that bell training is a negative if you have a dog smart enough to realize that if he/she rings the bell they get to go outside which is great fun for a puppy if they have to potty or not! :D