Author Topic: Are Saints vocal?  (Read 5619 times)

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Are Saints vocal?
« on: March 20, 2006, 03:47:59 pm »
Are saints considered to be a vocal breed?

My little Teddy talks to me all the time.  Sometimes its a yappy, sassy bark and sometimes its just a groan, but he's always talking to me (of course, the fact that I usually talk to him first and ask him questions may have something to do with it - LOL!).  Just curious.
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Are Saints vocal?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 06:20:51 pm »
Riley is. I don't know if that means anything... :) I also think he may be half crazy. He used to bark, have me say, "hush", then bark at me. Nice. Now he likes to bark to tell me he needs to go outside, to tell anyone and everyone that there is a cat near him, and to tell a dog who doesn't acknowledge him that he is there, in all his glory. He will occasionally bark to protect me (strangers/strange things or sounds outside), but Sadie's more of the guard dog. Riley's a bit wacky and unreliable about it.

Saturday night, he barked pretty much every hour on the hour to go outside to potty. He didn't have diarrhea or anything. I don't think I fed him too late or gave him too much water (I try to taper them off at night, b/c I know he will have to get up and pee). I got about 3 hours of sleep. Goober dog.

He also likes to groan and grumble. He's done that since he was tiny: If he doesn't like something-how you are holding him, that you stopped him from doing something, etc.-he will grumble at you. The day he was neutered, he did a whine/grumble that sounded pitiful.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 06:56:12 pm »
Lady and Grace "talk" a lot.  I think all dogs can if they want to.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 07:59:40 pm »
I would not call Zoey particularly vocal. She will occasionally bark (if she doesn't like the smell of something or someone comes to the door) and she does whine sometimes (because she can't get what she wants or because her hips are hurting her) but other than that I wouldn't really say she's vocal
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 08:00:17 pm by shangrila »
RIP former BPO

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 08:59:35 pm »
From the two I know...Tyler is the more vocal he grunts groans and has a wimpy whiny play bark and an occasional warning deep woof. Katie on the other hand only barks at other animals or if everyone else is but she snores and snuffles like a pig.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Lyn

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 09:28:05 pm »
I think in Bubba's 13 months I've only heard him bark 3-4 times. It's always when Hubby is playing with him and get's him all riled up. It's hilarious though because he'll let out this sudden deep bark and he startles himself. He'll stop playing and look around as if to say 'Did I do that?!?! LOL

He does grumble, groan, snore, snort and he does this whine that sounds like a monkey. lol

Offline Saintly Girl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maxwell
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 03:03:28 am »
I heard that Saints don't bark and I read that they are high up on the list as worst breeds for watch dogs but I beg to differ. My Maxwell barks at anyone who puts one toe in our yard.  I bought a harmonica and he howls along with each note I play.  It was so funny!!  As soon as I start playing he groans and howls.  (What a critic!)

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2006, 04:39:10 am »
Dolly every morning does a little "roooooor" sound at me! So cute, but that's about it. Except for barking at her annoying sister Zoey! She talks to her all the time, just not to me!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Yaz

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 07:04:21 pm »
Gersh sounds more like a pig than a dog - he grunts, belches and snorts, but very rarely barks.

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 08:18:17 pm »
Gersh sounds more like a pig than a dog - he grunts, belches and snorts, but very rarely barks.

I posted about this earlier in this thread, but this sounds just like Riley for the most part.

I actually taught him to bark on command tonight. Surprisingly, he started doing it, but not Sadie-she usually picks up tricks after one try-very smart dog. She only barks to guard me or our home, so maybe that's why. Riley will bark for attention, to go outside if I am in the bedroom, to get Sadie to play, etc. Now he's barking a lot, though... Hmm... perhaps we should have spent more time on the quiet command first... LOL

Offline nitewarrior

• Gnawer
  • Abby Road
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 09:51:13 am »
Abby is 2 now, and we have never heard her make a noise except an occasional groan when you rub her ears.

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2006, 05:07:27 pm »
Ranger is a mix so I don't know if he counts as "official", but he is very quiet in terms of barking.  He really only barks on a couple of occasions - first, when he sees something that frightens him, and second, when someone is playing with Gwen and he is jealous.  He has recently discovered his "big boy" bark and uses that exclusively for his "hey, why isn't anyone playing with me?" bark.  It is a very different bark from his "whoa whoa whoa" sounding scared bark.

As far as being a watchdog - no way.  Even when Gwen barks at someone/something walking by and runs around excitedly, he just runs around behind her silently like an idiot wondering what is going on. 

However, he is a very vocal grunter.  He almost never whines, but he has an incredibly wide range of pig-like groans for times when he is feeling neglected.   :D
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline tyscrzymom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 04:06:04 pm »
My Bubba isn't always vocal only when he is in the yard and he wants in...the whole neighborhood knows he wants in...lol Also he will let out this ginormous bark when someone walks into our house...not when they knock but after we have answered the door and let them in! However this keeps my teen age daughters friends in check...they are all horrified of him! What they don't know is that his bark really means if you take one step closer to me I will roll over for you to rub my tummy,woof woof!

Offline saintbarney

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Dog Care Central
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2006, 05:49:42 pm »
Barney doesn't make much noise except when he's barking. He doesn't talk to me at all.
~Danielle~
www.dog-care-central.com
Wheels for Weebles

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown