Author Topic: Loose stools (very) - feed or fast ?  (Read 7203 times)

Offline dufus

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Loose stools (very) - feed or fast ?
« on: March 20, 2006, 06:19:34 pm »
Hi there,

for the last 24 hrs Day-z has very loose stools (like liquid) - apart from that she is fine, not irritable, sleeping fine (i slept on the sofa enxt to her so i know this) - she is not desperate to go outside.  I take her every 2 or 3 hours and she mostly does a very, very, loose stool.  But she does not seem to be ill apart from this.

Question is, should i feed her or not, or feed her with pumpkin in or not ?

I did feed her this morning which i think was a mistake.

If this carries on I will take her to the vets, i did call them this morning and they advised me to give it another 24hrs.

Any advice very, very welcome.

Jill

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Loose stools (very) - feed or fast ?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 06:43:50 pm »
I'd fast. When one of my pups gets diarrhea, I skip a meal or two for them. That is usually all it takes. If I have it handy, I'll make white rice for them for their first meal after fasting.
 :)
I hope it clears up real quick!

Offline dufus

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 07:10:29 pm »
Thanks very much.

Famine it is then.

I think she feels sorry for herself, she is lying at my feet which is unusual for her.  I will sleep downstairs next to her again and if she is no better in the morning then off to the vet for us it is.

Poor baby.

She is not really sick, but she is not herself :(

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 11:37:22 pm »
Did you use canned pumpkin WITHOUT spices...pure pumpkin?...I made that mistake one...just once! :-\ ;) ;D

Offline dufus

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 07:26:12 am »
As of about 1hr ago, Day-z is at the vets with a temperature.  They are doing tests on her and keeping her in - I of course am crying like a baby.....

Offline kkmuller

• Gnawer
  • Fresca Willa Magesta
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 07:38:43 am »
We volunteer with the Guiding Eyes dogs.  When one of the dogs get diarrhea, in our care, we are told to fast them.  Slowly start introducing food.  I wish I had the written directions.  I'm sure your vet will tell you.
Did your baby eat anything off the ground outside?  One of my pups was chewing on something.  I thought it was grass.  It ended  up being goose poop.  He had the same liquid problem.  The guiding eyes supplies us with a powder to give to the puppies.  It helps with dehydration.  It cleared up in a day or two.
I hope everything works out.

Offline dufus

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 11:13:54 am »
Called the vets, the blood work has come back more or less OK.  She is not too dehydrated but they are hydrating her under the skin.

I have to call this afternoon to see whether she is coming home tonite or tomorrow - but sounds like she will be OK.

Am just so pleased that i took her to the vets.

Jill

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 12:33:20 pm »
Poor Day-Z!  I sure hope she can come home tonight (for her and for you!)
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline dufus

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 01:42:59 pm »
Thanks and i just wanted to say that i think Teddy is adorable.  I got Day-z at 10 weeks and i am certain you will have a close bond with him due to the age you got him at - shame about the circumstances though.  I love my Saint more than anything and I can see that yours is quite the charmer too.  Day-z talks to me too.

Offline roxygirl

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 02:48:58 pm »
Aww, poor Day-Z. I hope she is feeling better soon. Please keep us all posted.
Kim
Kim
Great Lakes Mastiff Rescue,Inc.

Offline dufus

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 03:48:42 pm »
Well the baby is not coming home this evening, and might have to stay in until Thursday.

When all her results came back, blood is OK, but her creatinine in her kidneys is high at 2.5 - so she is going on an IV and they are watching her.

Maybe the signs of kidney disease - which would be the pits, but at least we can try to control it now we know.

Prayers please.

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2006, 03:59:33 pm »
Poor Day-Z.  Poor Mom!!

A girl I work with is going through kidney disease with her Bichon, but she is an older dog.  She said the dialysis/fluid flushing is making the world of difference in her pup.  She said she hasn't seen her pup this active in years!

I hope you can keep ahead of Day-Z's illness.  At least knowing is half the battle.  Teddy and I will be wishing for the best news when she comes home on Thursday!
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline dufus

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2006, 06:17:40 pm »
I am very worried too.

All i can comfort myself with is that she is in the best place to be cared for until i can shower her with love (please God let me get the chance).

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2006, 06:54:17 pm »
I know this won't help, but we've been through renal failure and learned about creatine, etc along the way.  I know creatine can go up from dehydration, which could be caused by diarrhea, but a high creatine from kidney problems can also cause diarrhea.  I know that doesn't help really, but maybe Day-z's high creatine is from being a bit dehydrated.  Hoping she's sleeping good and feeling bouncy tommorrow.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline dufus

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2006, 06:58:29 pm »
I know, at the moment we have chicken and egg kidney failure and diarrhea - I hope obviously that the kidney thing is a temporary thing - but the vet seemed to think not.

I guess as long as she is not in pain i should be grateful.

Thanks for your kind words, it really is appreciated.

Jill & Day-z (who would not approve of how soft i am being)