Author Topic: My Friend Wants a Flat Coat...  (Read 9345 times)

Offline galaxybears

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • chins n newfs
My Friend Wants a Flat Coat...
« on: March 22, 2006, 05:22:03 pm »
...So I am just wondering what they are like to live with, how much grooming they need, walking, temperament and all that kind of stuff :)

I told her as far as I know they have the same sort of personality as my Newfs as the breeds are related, but I don't really know much about them.

Can you give me any information about what they are really like, as opposed to what the books say!

Shelley
Mum to Molly, Honey and Kitten
RIP my darling Bronte

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: My Friend Wants a Flat Coat...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 10:40:52 am »
Yeah someone else nuts enough to have a flat coat!!  As you can see from the picture I have a flat coat - Harley - I love him he is a riot:

The good
Very loving wonderful with children (ok he does enjoy knocking small children over from behind)
He is silly and I laugh at him alot
Since he isn't a show dog I keep his hair on the shorter side - he doesn't love to be brushed (my fault I'm sure)
We do get fairly constant tumbleweeks but if you swiffer or vacuum at least a couple of times a week it is manageable
Harley housebroke fairly easily and VERY rarely has an accident (maybe 3 times in 4 1/2 years again probably my fault)
Exercise he enjoys walking with me and running with his friend but doesn't need a ton more that a quick walk and a quick romp.
Does your friend like shadows because that is what Harley is anywhere I go he is - if I close the door to the bathroom he sticks his paw underneath.

The bad
They will eat anything (gloves, socks, hairties, paper anything!!)
Harley whines ... alot!!  May not be all flat coats
Harley is jealous - if anyone tries to hug me he barks
Reputable flat coat breeders are generally crazy I felt like they wanted my first born child!!  I was interviewed had to write an essay and questioned over and over finally I found a great breeder who was cautious and fair

I know I am rambling but I love Harley!!
I would be happy to speak, or PM with your friend

Randy & Harley

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 12:47:52 pm »
Aren't they basically goldens with different colored hair?  I know technically they aren't but their coat, energy level etc. aren't they basically goldens?
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 01:03:51 pm »
They remind me more of a long haired lab, even though their conformation isn't the same.

Modified to add:  I guess you answered the differences while I was posting.   ::)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 01:07:06 pm by ZooCrew »

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 01:32:52 pm »
Actually, I generally tell people harley looks like a black irish setter - they are much leaner than a lab; have longer legs and kind of a bump on the back of their heads.

Harley kind of looks like a baboon right now!!  As I mentioned we had him cut and we didn't realize that he had bald spots on his tushy - now he looks silly - definately will keep his hair longer now - just like a guy have to cover his bald spots

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 02:46:58 pm »
My dad's friend Glen's last pair of hunting dogs were twin boy flatties they called the Tweedles.  They were not at ALL like the labs or the GSP's he'd had before that. 

Out in the field, those two were just unstoppable--Glen used to claim that they never missed a bird.  I believe it, too, given the amount of grouse, pheasant, duck, etc. that they ate--they had a whole FREEZER full of birds all the time.  He worked with them for at least an hour a day, and they were incredibly smart, and incredibly well-behaved when they were working. 

When they were WORKING.

When they were in the house?  They were basically big hairy fraternity boys--party all the time, man!  They slept late, stayed up half the night, loved beer and Fritos (they refrigerators/freezers/cupboards all had to be dog proofed) they loved to dance--they figured out how to turn on the kitchen radio by flipping the power switch on top.  I hung out with Shel sometimes, and it was normal to get off the bus with her and hear loud cowboy music coming thru the dog door, and find the dogs dancing around the fenced part of the yard or in the kitchen if it was cold.  Then they would jump up and knock you over--I was 11, 12, 13 when this madness was going on--just so they could wrestle, then sit on you and kiss you until you laid still. And they trailed you everywhere you went, just looking for a chance to knock you down, wrestle and kiss you into submission.  The only way to prevent it was to put on rowdy fifties music and dance with them.  Shel and I learned the jitterbug to dance with those fools! 

Clearly, they were spoiled utterly rotten. But I'm sure that they were the FUNNEST dogs anyone had.  I loved my Nickie madly, but she wasn't nearly as much sheer honest fun as Dee and Dum!

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline galaxybears

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • chins n newfs
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 03:30:42 pm »
Thanks for all the replies :),There is a lot there that reminds me of the Newfs :D

Think I shall have to tell my flat coat lover to join the board ;)
Shelley
RIP my darling Bronte

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 04:21:33 pm »
Great info everyone.  Nice to hear personal stories too.  They sounds PERFECT for Marcus (my older son).  That's just the sort of thing he's been wanting Holly to do (she thinks he's nuts  lol).  However, I think it would be enough to push Nicholas (my younger son) over the edge.  He's like his daddy, he has no use for the noise or hyperness of most dogs.  He looooooooooves dogs as long as they are calm and quite though.  Funny thing is that he at 2yrs has the dog better trained to his wishes than his older 7yr old brother or his daddy.  I have a jr dog trainer in the house!   ;D  Now if only I could get him to take the dog for agility....... .....

"Goldens tend to be soft and anxious to please"

and that's why I'll never own a Golden even though I love them and think they're beautiful(unless i completely lose my head).  That sounds just like my Holly.  She won't even play at the dog park because she HAS to know where I am every second.   ::)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 04:25:27 pm by Kelly89084 »
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Offline Sallys mom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 03:06:57 am »
Hiya everyone I am Shelley's friend (the one who wants the flat coat)
thanks for all of your replies  :-*
I have read elsewhere they are prone to cancer is this hereditary/ genetic  ???
I didnt know about the ear infections though is there a way of controlling them or is it something that they just have to live with, with treatment of course  ;)
I have three children (all girls) rangin from nearly 16 to nearly 12 so no little ones for them to knock over but my middle daughter is a bit of a scardey cat when it comes to dogs so I am hoping if we get a new puppy she will calm down a bit, she is ok with the dog we have it is just other peoples dogs especially if they jump up her  :-\

I still want a flat coat though and will research them as much as possible before deciding on the one for us   ;D

thanks again for all of your replies and if anyone has any more stories then please share them  ;D

Offline Sallys mom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 01:10:58 pm »
thanks for all of your replies  :-*
I shall keep you all posted on my quest for my flat coat but as hubby wants me to make sure I do lots of research and see lots of breeders before commiting himself then we could be in for a big wait  ;)

Offline galaxybears

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • chins n newfs
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 02:15:46 pm »
Best to have a big wait and the right dog for you Steph, than to rush into it ;)
Shelley
RIP my darling Bronte