Author Topic: Do your dog(s) do this?  (Read 4162 times)

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
Do your dog(s) do this?
« on: March 23, 2006, 10:43:16 pm »
Do your dogs go into this zone sometimes when they are sucking/chewing on a stuffie.  It seems like some kind of comfort thing to me, almost like they are nursing.  Bava does it sometimes, closes his eyes, and looks so content working away on whatever it is.

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline cuttles/sadieMay

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Do your dog(s) do this?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 10:51:00 pm »
That is funny! Kayzer used to do that and I thought it was a comfort thing but he has stopped doing it now, I guess he must have grew out of it. Cute pic though! He looks like hes in the Zone LOL Very cute!
Carole

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 10:53:37 pm »
Chester does it when I let him lick the cat food can after I feed the cats.  He zones out and his tongue moves slower, and s l o w e r and then he makes little slurpy sounds.  Weird dog!

doggylover

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 11:16:47 pm »
ROFL Badger had a little yellow stuffed ducky he LOVED for 3 years.  He would goober that thing and carry it around, and snuggle it when he went to bed.  Then one sad, dark day, he ripped all the stuffing out of it and never fell in love with another toy the same way again. 

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 11:36:59 pm »
OMG!!!Spotakiss has done this simce we brought him home.He has this big bear he nurses on.Hes 1 and a half now so I dont think hes gonna stop.Heres a pic of when he was a pup doing it.

Offline mal-coholic

• Ankle Biter
  • My beloved mal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 02:08:09 am »
My boy is 4 and he still gets that face whenever he has smth new to chew...he also rolles over it like a dummy  :P

They're soooooooo sweet  :)
Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure.

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 06:20:27 am »
Madison does this when sucking on one of her favorite puppies from the puppy family!  She has had the stuffed puppy family since the day she came home, there are 4 of them. (She is now 3 yrs. old)  Travis & Tillie are the parents, Taylor & Trevor are the pups. I swear they came named from Multipet!!!  Most recently her brother Kelso pup got a hold of the baby puppy who is named Taylor and dragged it out the mud for a scrape around the yard.  Needless to say Taylor had to go into the washing machine for a bath.  Maddie was beside herself crying at the laundry room door waiting for her baby to come out clean.  It was really pathetic!  I couldn't even fully dry the pup in the dryer, we couldn't take her crying anymore!!!  When we finally gave her the clean puppy back, she held it and gently licked it up for hours!! She is very gentle with her toys while her brothers are not.  We have to try to rotate the puppy family in and out of the wash without her knowing at times.  She would have made a great Mom with her maternal instincts.  She was that way with our Kelso pup when he came home, she still mothers him and corrects him!!! 

So yes, our Maddie girl holds those puppies and takes great care in cleaning the puppy family & hugging them for long periods of time. These are the few toys that she isn't fond of letting her brothers share in.

Anita & the 3 Newfies from NJ

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 07:09:24 am »
Sadie has a stuffed bear that plays a lullaby. One day she got it "stuck" so that it constantly played the lullaby. She carried the thing around for hours, sitting with it, cleaning it, even carried it out and held it in her mouth when she went to the bathroom. Eventually, my ex-bf figured out how to get it "unstuck". She was relieved. LOL

She does like to clean and baby her animals. She usually carries them around and tries to give them to people in the house (in anticipation of you handing it straight back after you make it squeak or sing or whatever). She prefers bears, though, which I think is funny-some of them don't look very bear-ish, but yet she knows...

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 08:29:55 am »
Apparently my Ellie doesn't have a maternal bone in her body - for she tears apart every stuffed toy and an occasional couch pillow.

She sure has mastererd her role as the perpetual baby in the house.  :) It'll be interesting when the time comes to ada a puppy to the family! lol

p.s. loved reading the stories and seeing the adorable pics y'all posted!

cricket36580

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 08:34:40 am »
My Cricket, who is now at the bridge, would do that to us not toys.  She'd get in my lap and nurse my forearm or lick my hand.  Sometimes it made me crazy but...I'd give anything to have her do it again!  Bella mothers a rubber chicken.  When she's in the "mother mode", she gets very upset if you try to play with the chicken.  It can be very funny!

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 08:41:53 am »
Those pictures are great! Glad to hear I don't have the only weird dog :)
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2006, 09:11:44 am »
Our last Irish Setter, Sammy always mothered her toys right about the time she would've had puppies if bred.  Her favorite babies were these red rubber crabs and the other was a rubber Taz.  She'd bring them everywhere with her and would 'nest' in our storage closet which scared all of us because we wouldn't be able to find her and we'd think she got out.  She'd make one of us babysit them when she went out.  She'd come over and gently put it in your lap and you'd have to sit there and hold it til she decided she wanted it back.  She was nutty...we even buried them with her when she died two years ago.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2006, 03:04:58 pm »
fumble almost always has something in his mouth! but do your newfs do this?? fumble will get something between his two front paws and then alternate paws, like a swimming motion, while he's chewing on a toy. it's usually his big moose, which is now smaller than he is but a huge stuffed animal!  my sister and i think that maybe in newfie world he thinks he's saving the toy and swimming with it!  far fetched i know! but its something!  :P
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2006, 03:11:35 pm »
I have a cat that does this with his teddy bear...It's actually his 2nd teddy bear as the 1st one got just yucky!...In cats it is called wool sucking & is associated with being taken from the mama cat too young...I don't know if it is the same with dogs though.

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2006, 03:15:36 pm »
I have a cat that does this with his teddy bear...It's actually his 2nd teddy bear as the 1st one got just yucky!...In cats it is called wool sucking & is associated with being taken from the mama cat too young...I don't know if it is the same with dogs though.

My kitty Maggie does this too. Except she does that to my hair. She did it more when she was little. She'd curl up in a ball on my shoulder when I was laying down and suck on the ends of my hair. It was really really cute but MAN did I get split ends!!!
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge