Author Topic: Hip Displasia, what are the treatment options?  (Read 3587 times)

Offline traciels

• Gnawer
  • My family is great!!
    • View Profile
Hip Displasia, what are the treatment options?
« on: May 27, 2005, 11:53:55 pm »
Our baby Harley D was diagnosed with this crippling disease when she was 3, at that time her condition was severe. :( The vet mentioned 2 options, do surgery one her hip grinding the ball down to try to make it fit better in the socket ($400) but eventually a complete hip replacement ($3000). But both of her hips are bad, one a little more than the other. Ultimately there would be no way of avoiding the inevitable; she would have to be put down. That was devastating to us. Well, in the last 2 years we have moved and got a bit tight on money but we did go to the better dog food. (I advise everyone with a Rotti to start on the best food early) For right now we are giving her Motrin to help her with her pain, she'll see the vet next week. I am terrified at what he might say....

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
Re: Hip Displasia, what are the treatment options?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 02:21:27 am »
So sorry to hear this, I have personally no experience of bad hips or elbows (knock on wood) but if you do a search here, you will find that we have had a lot of those posts. There are a couple of dogs with similar problems as your Harley D, and a lot of people with experience. Just as a general nutrition thing with our big to giant breeds, it is good to start them on some kind of joint supplement as early as possible, so if you dont give her that, I would recommend that. Other than that I am sure there are lots of people here that can give you advice, after having gone through similar situations themselves. Good Luck and give your cute girl a big hug from me

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline traciels

• Gnawer
  • My family is great!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2005, 04:16:27 am »
So sorry to hear this, I have personally no experience of bad hips or elbows (knock on wood) but if you do a search here, you will find that we have had a lot of those posts. There are a couple of dogs with similar problems as your Harley D, and a lot of people with experience. Just as a general nutrition thing with our big to giant breeds, it is good to start them on some kind of joint supplement as early as possible, so if you dont give her that, I would recommend that. Other than that I am sure there are lots of people here that can give you advice, after having gone through similar situations themselves. Good Luck and give your cute girl a big hug from me

Marit

Thank you so much, I will look into that. Harley D thanks you too. :D

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005, 06:07:28 pm »
Have you added Glucosamine and Chondroitin supplements?  It really helps.  My older dog, Greta, fractured her hip when she was a pup.  She is nearly eight years old now.  Her hips always grind and pop and we help her into the car, etc.  She takes Rimadyl, but I waited until this last year to give it to her regularly, because I was afraid if given to her since puppyhood it may damage internal organs.

Is it OK to give dogs Motrin?  I haven't heard that before, but some people give them enteric-coated aspirin as it does not harm the stomach like regular aspirin.

So, she is five years old now?  I've sometimes thought that if Greta some day loses the use of her hind legs we can get one of those doggie wheelchairs for her.  I saw an ad for one in the back of "Dog & Kennel" magazine.

I hope things get better for you and you find some options.

Sometimes I put a hot water bottle on Greta's hips.  Also, I think swimming is good for her, too...less friction than running, etc.  But, you may want to ask your vet about the specifics.  I may not know what I am talking about in relation to your individual dog.  :-\
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline mitchie

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Daisy n' Phoebe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 12:58:28 pm »
I just received a catalog in the mail yesterday with some great products...
the company is called...Sprin gtime Inc.  the Website is
www.springtime inc.com    and the product mentioned was
called "joint health chewables".  I am ordering some products
for my 6 year old rottie who had ACL surgery in January. 

Before you try Rimadyl -check out the side effects.  It is very
damaging to the kidneys and liver.  I skipped it for my dog when
the vet who diagnosed her torn acl seriously recommened it and my dog just got a 100% a-okay from her vet that did therapy after her surgery.  The Whole Dog Journal is a wonderful reference to  check into also.
We'll be thinking about you both. 
mitchie & Daisy

Offline RottiMommyAL

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 01:05:09 pm »
I have been feeding my 2 Rotts a completely raw diet for almost 3 monthes now.  (Don't get me started on their incrdible health, teeth, breath, coats and energy!)
They say that raw chicken feet are loaded with natural Glucosamine and Chondroitin.  Seeing my 2 are HUGE I make sure they get a daily dose of those chicken feet.  I find them at my regular grocery store or at the butcher.
Good luck and so sorry to hear about your baby!
Change your pets life.  Feed RAW!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2005, 12:34:29 pm »
Make sure that your vet refers you to a clinic that does LOTS of these surgeries!  Our first Newf, Otis, was born without a hip socket on one side and severe dysplasia on the other side.  We had NO choice but to do a hip replacement surgery (he was just a year).  It was VERY tough to watch his recovery, but he did recover and do well.  The secret is to go to either a major university vet school or a major clinic!!!  The surgery is tricky and there are horror stories!

On the food and med issue, as important as those things are in a healthy dog, they won't build a joint that isn't there.  Don't feel guilty!  Some of these big guys just don't have great heredity!  You can make them more comfortable with meds and that's obviously important but once the ball slips out of the joint, it's awful!!! 

Best of luck and please let us know what the vet recommends!!  We are all pulling for you!