Author Topic: Talk me out of this  (Read 9727 times)

cricket36580

Talk me out of this
« on: March 25, 2006, 05:56:48 pm »
It was fate...that's all I can say.  I have found a stud that would SO complement Bella and have begun to think about breeding her.  This would be her only litter and then she'd be spayed.  The stud has TREMENDOUS bloodlines...t ested...yadda yadda yadda.  And he's simply GORGEOUS.  He's a brindle out of a harlequin and fawn...Bella is a broken mantle (also with champion bloodlines) from mantle parents and fawn/black grandparents.  I really think the babies would be a high percentage of showable pups...  I'm going to call Bella's grand-breeder and talk to her about it too.  She knows WAY more than I could ever learn about bloodlines and she knows all of the champion lines too.  She's very "into" danes, if that makes any sense.  I've got some time as Bella doesn't come back into heat until June....

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Talk me out of this
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 06:08:53 pm »
I will do my best to talk you out of it!!! ;D ;)

From what I understand of Dane breeding, you aren't supposed to mix color families. From what you described, someone has already mixed color families by breeding a harlequin with fawn. And then to throw a mantle into the mix... I think you will end up with mismarks as opposed to show quality dogs.
I am not a breeder I just love Great Danes and I have studied color genetics because I have a fawnequin... a "no-no" color. ;D

Here is a website. You will find much about breeding and colors and whatnot. Becuase of course there is so much more to breeding than just color.
Here's the deal though... if you go through with it, I want a free puppy because I tried to talk you out of it!!! :D ;)

http://home.surewest.net/daneaffr/colinher.html

cricket36580

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 06:37:01 pm »
LOL  You are shameless!!!  And you may have a free one...

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 06:40:16 pm »
LOL  You are shameless!!!  And you may have a free one...

YAY!!! :D Um, I mean, don't you go breeding that dog now!!!! :D :D :D ;)

Offline cuttles/sadieMay

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 06:40:46 pm »
Hi
I think I would agree with doghealer about the color mixture you have there. I think the main concern you should think of is her health and consider some of the complications that they can have during and after delivery!
Kayzers mommy had to have a C-Section when she had her litter of 8 puppy's. But from what I have researched it sounds like this is just one of many complications that can occur. It sounds to me like you plan to do your research before you go ahead with it so what ever you decide "Good Luck"
How old is Bella now?
Carole

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 07:19:00 pm »
He's a brindle out of harl and fawn?  Does that mean his parent's were harl to fawn breeding?  b/c that is a big no-no, and should put him out of the breeding game right there, no matter what his bloodlines are.

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 07:20:44 pm »
There are really so many things to consider in a breeding before the color even comes into question.  I don't know what testing is recommended for danes offhand, but I know with many breeds there is extensive testing needed to be sure your girl is breeding quality, and that it is healthy for her, as well.  Being only 1 year old, you have a good year or more to research everything before she would be ready anyway.   Have you considered showing her to see how she compares to others of the breed?    For me, even if all of these things checked out perfectly, I wouldn't breed, as there is a high likelihood that you will be bottle feeding a huge litter of hungry pups every couple hours for several weeks.  That means you would have to take a few months off from your job to be home to care for the pups, with very little sleep, and the heartbreak if any of them still don't pull through.  Not to mention the astronomical vet bills if anything goes wrong, and the risk of losing your girl during labor/delivery besides.

Weedsport, NY

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
  • Aspen having fun near Mammoth Lakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006, 07:45:35 pm »
He's a brindle out of harl and fawn?  Does that mean his parent's were harl to fawn breeding?  b/c that is a big no-no, and should put him out of the breeding game right there, no matter what his bloodlines are.

So this is slightly off topic. I know nothing of genetics and breed coloring...do brindles breed brindles? Or are they a combination of two color types. I am asking because my dogs' mother was a brindle and none of her 9 puppies have her coloring(they are mutts though)
Zane - St Bernard/Shepherd mix
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix
Craig - Our Ridgie, has gone over the Rainbow Bridge

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2006, 08:11:18 pm »
Ang knows more on color genetics than me.  I only know the basics.  I like this website for reference as to what is supposed to be bred with what:
http://www.gdca.org/colorcode.htm
This is of course just talking about great dane color genetics.  Other breeds may be different (again, I'm no color expert  :P )

I believe both parents would have to carry the brindle gene in order for it to be apparent in the offspring.  Which means that it is a recessive color. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong......... ......I'm confusing myself trying to type and I'm not sure if I'm making any sense.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 08:15:48 pm by ZooCrew »

cricket36580

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2006, 09:26:50 pm »
Ok...I'm confused.  So now I doubt I will breed her to this one unless I'm not wanting anything other than pups...which isn't/wasn't my goal.  However, I know this stud came froma a reputable breeder and one parent is harlequin.  Bella came out of a black/mantle cross.  And I'm fairly certain her grandfather is fawn.  I know Jan has fawns and I could be having a brain surge...and Bella comes out of straight black and harl breeding. 

Bella's a year and a half right now...so next heat would put her at 2.  That's a little early for breeding but not terribly so. 

As for bottle feeding etc...done it before and I can do it again.  I take care of all of the other critters so this wouldn't be any different, really.  What's a couple of months?  Until you've sat with a baby rabbit and a dropper for 16hrs...you haven't experienced real bottle feeding.  (he died btw) 

Vet bills in the case of a problem would be a concern.  However, if I plan this right it shouldn't be unmanagable.

What concerns me is the genetics.  Drat!  And he's SUCH a beautiful boy...and wonderful temperment...a nd great conformation.. .and EVERYTHING!  Waaahhhhhhh... ..

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2006, 10:27:56 pm »
There, there. I was almost getting excited too. ::) I'm sure you could handle all the caring part but it's the genetics part indeed which is the kicker. Breeding black danes is tricky business, or so I hear. :)

Meantime, you and me can keep taking in rescues. ;D