Author Topic: How did your other dogs handle the loss?  (Read 5351 times)

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: How did your other dogs handle the loss?
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2006, 08:49:03 pm »
I haven't seen any of my dogs show any grief for the lose of one of the other pets.  But I do know what it's like to put two down at the same time.  We actually made the same decision last summer.  It was the hardest thing to do.  My thoughts are with you and your family.

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2006, 09:14:34 pm »
I am so very sorry to about Josh and Piper.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2006, 09:41:47 pm »
I am sorry to hear about your beloved dogs piper and josh . When i put my smooth fox terrier in heaven my dalmation and lab looked for him for quite sometime. everytime someone came in the door i think they thought he was going to be coming in the door. A year later the lab became very ill and stopped eating he to went to heaven. My dalmation who lives with my ex is all alone she looked for both of them for a while and now i think she just realizes there not coming back. I think it's like humans it takes time to heal. My thoughts are with your family   Marina
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

angelsmama

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2006, 10:49:43 pm »
When Dotty died, Angel was very down. She got real excited when she saw me holding Dotty, thinking it was time to play but when she got a closer look she dropped her head and started whimpering she went inside her house and laid down. After Dotty was buried my mom and I went over to check on Angel. She was just laying there moaning. We couldn't make her eat for 2-3 days. After a few days she started getting her appetite back and started playing again.
Following pic was Angel at about 6 months with Dotty. Unfortunately only picture of them on here together. That was not long after I got her. Angel adored Dotty, and Dotty was always so patient with her, and very protective. When Angel was younger our neighbors had a very aggressive Husky (he gave him away after this incident), he got loose and attacked Angel. Dotty attacked him before we could grab her. They were so close, it worried me with Angel after Dotty passed. But it's been 3 months now and she's back to her usual goofy self now.

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2006, 10:59:01 pm »
Being a new dog owner I've never had to deal with this yet but I am so sorry...It must be heartbreaking for all of you there...I've heard though, that if you let your surviving animal sniff their dear departed friend they know that their friend is gone & it helps with closure...It is a little sadder day today at BPO & in the world at the loss of your fur babies...Pleas e accept my most heartfelt condolences.

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2006, 09:04:02 am »
I'm actually handling it a lot better than Jesse and Eider.  This really was not that unexpected at their ages.  They both lived full and happy lives, spoiled rotten.  If you look at my avatar, that is pretty much how Piper in particular spent the last 2 years.  Jesse is better today than he was yesterday.  I hope he'll do ok. I'm also a bit concerned about the Diamond food, that that may also be making them sick.  I switched them cold turkey to the Nutro this morning - 1/2 Nutro, 1/2 rice to help their tummies adjust.  I'll not put another piece of Diamond into them.  Can't believe I didn't think of that causing the problems.  My vet doesn't think so but time will tell as to how they do on the Nutro.  Eider, Jesse and Josh had all been itching a lot the last few weeks or so too.  I just thought the allergies were starting early.  When I got home yesterday though, I got two calls for rescue dogs!  Not sure if I'm ready or not but it sure would take my mind off things!  2 Pyrs that they want to stay together, or one Anatolian Shepherd.  I want to be careful and make the right decision and not grab something just because I want to fill the void but I've been waiting since we lost Thor...  So much happening so quickly...  Gotto go call the lady who has the 2 Pyrs.  :o  Am I nuts???
Daphne

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2006, 09:08:13 am »
I'm very sory to hear about Josh and Piper.  We'll be thinking of you.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2006, 09:11:15 am »
Call that lady and get those Pyrs ;D ;D ;D ;D I know that I want to have pyrs in my home until my last day.

Lisa

Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

doggylover

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2006, 10:44:49 am »
  :o  Am I nuts???
Ask those two rescue dogs, and I don't think they would think you were nuts....they would probably pick the word 'wonderful hero' ;)

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2006, 10:49:47 am »
Call that lady and get those Pyrs ;D ;D ;D ;D I know that I want to have pyrs in my home until my last day.

Lisa

I did call!  They sound absolutely WONDERFUL!  I think we may have a match here, folks!  Can't believe I'm doing this :o  They don't have much info on the dogs because they were dropped off with a posty note saying they were UTD on heartworm.  That's all!  They think it is a mother/son pair.  There was another female that came in at the same time who was pregnant that they think was a sister to the male, pregnant by him.  Both are being altered tomorrow so it will be another 10 days or so until I can get them.  I need to decide whether to try to visit first, then pick them up or just go and visit and pick up at the same time. 

Thanks for all the thoughts and hugs!  We'll just have to wait and see how Jesse fares, I guess.  Eider I think is young enough that he'll be ok.  Piper was the only female and certainly ruled the roost but Josh was clearly the dominant male.  From Jesse's previous behavior, I thought he'd be happy to take center stage but he's not reacting the way I thought.  He's so much like Piper and when Jaeger died, Piper didn't care at all.  She was thrilled to be top female (Jaeger had been before).  Jesse is really moping, though it could be for losing Piper, not Josh.  Who knows what is going on in his head.  He's eating so that is good.  Then again, I've never known a Lab to go off its food. ::)
Daphne

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2006, 11:06:34 am »
I love it that you are going to jump right back in and get two more to love!  I'm sure everybody will settle right in to place, once they work out their place in the pack! ;D ;D

Congrats!!

Icerotti

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2006, 11:37:49 am »
I think what you are doing is wonderful. Everything happens for a reason.  ;) We were only going to have one dog after our female rotti passed. uuummmmm somehow we have 3 :o :o :o :o :olol

doggylover

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2006, 12:00:44 am »
I am so impressed with your strength, and selflesness.  How wonderful for these two rescues!
We will of course need TONS of pictures!!!!
 :)