Author Topic: How old?  (Read 1707 times)

Gypsy Jazmine

How old?
« on: March 28, 2006, 06:10:25 pm »
I have a question...A girl I worked with today said they had 4 Pyrs...I was so excited because you rarely see or hear about Pyrs around here...She said that they have a 3 yr. old male & 3 littermates that I gathered were between 1 & 2...They are the 3 yr. old males pups...The mom died last year at the age of 12 & the 3 littermates are her pups...Isn't that WAY too old to breed a dog?...Can they even still get pregnant at 12 (or so) yrs. old?...It didn't sound right to me...She said one of her last litters all died....I'd imagine the older a dog is the more health risks to her & the pups?...Anyway, can I get some input on this matter?

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: How old?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 06:18:51 pm »
Dogs dont go through menapause and can breed throughout their life...Would I personally do it?  No.  I do know of a Boerboel breeder who had a female that was in her teens breeding...  I do know the dog lived to be 19

Is it possible? Yes, But i dont think it is a good idea
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 09:54:46 pm »
Dogs dont go through menapause and can breed throughout their life...Would I personally do it?  No.  I do know of a Boerboel breeder who had a female that was in her teens breeding...  I do know the dog lived to be 19

Is it possible? Yes, But i dont think it is a good idea
Thanks Babs!...I was troubled by the age of Mama dog...My goodness...I had my first baby at 27 & my second at 29...I still haven't bounced back...lol!

Offline princessnmi

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 07:28:25 am »
Robin's mom was 14 yrs old and Robin is one out of a litter of 13.I felt so bad for that poor dog. I think that its sad to breed a dog that old.
Proudly owned by: Robin-3 yr old Lab mix, Brody 14 month old Great Dane, Moose a 6 month old dane
Loved by my beautiful daughter Makaylee and my soon to be adopted sons Richard and Jay And the husband too I guess

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 03:41:08 pm »
I have a question...A girl I worked with today said they had 4 Pyrs...I was so excited because you rarely see or hear about Pyrs around here...She said that they have a 3 yr. old male & 3 littermates that I gathered were between 1 & 2...They are the 3 yr. old males pups...The mom died last year at the age of 12 & the 3 littermates are her pups...Isn't that WAY too old to breed a dog?...Can they even still get pregnant at 12 (or so) yrs. old?...It didn't sound right to me...She said one of her last litters all died....I'd imagine the older a dog is the more health risks to her & the pups?...Anyway, can I get some input on this matter?

HOW COULD ANYONE BREED A DOG THAT OLD,
AND if she breeds at that age, i get a feeling, she was bred every heat,,,,,,,,,how sad
TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 09:45:57 pm »
The girl brought pics of all their Pyrs today...The mama dog that died was all TAN with the dark face mask & ears...She was also really skinny...Some of her pups looked alot like spaniels around 1 yr. old...She insists dear departed mama dog was a fullblooded Pyr...I've never seen a Pyr look anything like that...The father is gorgeous though...He looks alot like my Pippin. ;D