Author Topic: Is anyone Newf's On Iams??  (Read 10404 times)

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
Is anyone Newf's On Iams??
« on: March 30, 2006, 02:39:55 pm »
I know “what to feed my Newfoundland ?” (Or any large breed)can be a pretty heated subject.  I went back and forth on MANY recommendation s and advice.

Puppy versus adult food, brands, etc.  Taking this into consideration and after careful thought, at this point, I have decided to start trying Kuma on the Iams Puppy food for large breeds and wondered if anyone else had experience with Iams and what they thought.  (Good or bad)

Thanks!
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

" Don't accept your dog's admiration
as conclusive evidense that you are wonderful."
-Ann landers

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone Newf's On Iams??
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 02:42:13 pm »
Oh yes...for those who had their large dogs on a puppy food (And this is for large breed) what recommendation s do you have for when to start putting them on adult food.  (I have heard loads of controversy about this too.)
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

-Ann landers

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 03:03:07 pm »
We feed Kali Eukanuba Large Breed...which is expensive but she has done well on it.  Lacey our aussie is on Iams and We had our Setter and Greyhound on Iams we we had them.  They did pretty well but were/are on the active maturity chunks.  I'd suggest with a Newfie though to go with a more premium food....Shangr ila has a list of good foods which showed up in a different thread that are less expensive and sometimes better than Eukanuba.  The main thing to look for is low protien so they don't grow really fast and some suggest going with adult foods from the beginning.  Also you should look into joint supplemnts for her as well.

Also I think Iams changes their formulas frequently which can cause upset tummies especailly in puppies.  We haven't had many problems but it's something to watch out for.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline bigeasy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 03:28:00 pm »
We feed our Newf Eagle Pack, and I get daily compliments on how beautiful his coat is.  It is Holistic Large Breed, and when you read the ingredients you are confident he is getting nothing but the best.  It is only sold in certain stores, unlike other "premium" brands that you can get at your local grocery.  We also give him vitamin E and chewable vitamin C, and tons of "hip treats" that are great for joints, etc. 

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 03:34:38 pm »
I feed Sadie Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy the growth control formula. She seems to do well on it. I fed it to her initially because it was what the breeder was feeding her and I didn't want to change it right away but it's worked out well for her. I mix warm water with the dry food and she gets wet food mixed in once a day. Not sure about when to switch to adult food, that would probably have been a question of mine in the very near future so I'm glad you asked. ;)
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 03:35:17 pm »
Hi,

Winslow started on Science Large breed Puppy. He did very well on it. We wanted to go with a better quality food, so we switched to Wellness He is still adjusting to it. It is lower protien but richer than Science Diet (a lot of corn) We are still at a toss up on the switch.

The processing plant turned out a better end product with the science diet Firm but large. While the new fuel has been less but not as fim to not firm at all. He eats well with both so we are just giving the wellness a bit longet he has only been on the full Wellness part of the switch for about 3 weeks now.

Rich

Oh and he just turned 9 months old on Tuesday!!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 03:38:23 pm by Winslow 151 »
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 03:43:30 pm »
Bella was getting the Iams puppy food when we brought her home.  All the pups looked very healthy and she seemed to like it.  We only switched because we had been feeding Sasha something else (Nutro large breed puppy as a pup and then large breed).

Offline hairprincessnyu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 09:25:00 pm »
I know this may be a little off topic, but does anyone know anything about Iams doing testing on animals? I thought I saw something by PETA about boycotting Iams food because of animal testing. I'm not trying to offend anyone here, just wondering if anyone else has heard that.
True love is being gone all day, and coming home to a dog who licks your face.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 09:27:31 pm »
I know this may be a little off topic, but does anyone know anything about Iams doing testing on animals? I thought I saw something by PETA about boycotting Iams food because of animal testing. I'm not trying to offend anyone here, just wondering if anyone else has heard that.

Peta is leading a campaign against iams. Their argument against the company can be found at the website http://www.iamscruelty.com/ You can read what they have to say and then draw your own conclusions

RIP former BPO

Offline hairprincessnyu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 09:39:55 pm »
Wow, I had no idea.  :o
True love is being gone all day, and coming home to a dog who licks your face.

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 10:20:29 pm »
Beth , when I got my newfie pup she was on Iams large breed adult . After talking to alot of people on here I decided to switch her to Canida . Her stools have really improved , her coat is so shiney , and you don't have to feed as much as you would with Iams from what I understand , it's expensive but it's a food that can be fed for every stage in life ! My newfie is almost 10 months old , and I have a newfie/border collie cross that I'm trying to get to loose weight that's 5 and a little miniature schnauzer that's 1 and they all eat it and are doing great ! Hope that helps  :) Oh , and I go to dogfooddirect. com and get it shipped free to my house ( really nice not to have to lug around bags of dog food with three little kids in the cart ! ) so you could see if they ship to wherever you live .  :)
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

k2campbell

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006, 11:00:26 pm »
Kate isn't a Newf, but I'm adding my bit anyhow! ;)

When we brought Kate home from her breeder, she was on Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy.  She did ok on it.  At one point, she started getting really picky with it (not eating much). We noticed one week that she had grown really fast within that week.  It freaked us out a little...

We made the switch to Canidea All Life's Stages Formula, and I would seriously be their spokesperson, I absolutely love it.  Not that Kate's poops weren't firm on the Eukanuba (they were), but on the Canidea they are firmer, smaller (and most importantly) she poops half as many times!  I know it's poo (but) it doesn't stink as much on Canidea.  She eats a lot less.  Her coat is so shiny.  She just seems to be "functioning" better on it.  Another important aspect (I think) is that it is highly pallatable - Kate goes nuts for her food (for the most part).  She wasn't really interested in the Eukanuba...

Here's a comparison for you.  I live in Canada by the way, so this is in CDN $'s.  A 40 lb bag of the Eukanuba costs $67 and lasted Kate approx 3 weeks.  A 40 lb bag of Canidea costs $51 and lasts Kate approx 4 weeks.  It is a hollistic food, and costs less!  Part of that reasoning is because of the advertising (Eukanuba/Iams advertise like crazy, Canidea doesn't)... 

Honestly, I just love it and am so glad it was recommended to me by fellow BPOer's!  I'm not against Eukanuba at all, I just see the differnce in our Kate since making the switch to Canidea and (well) - that's all I need! I would suggest reading the first 10 ingredients or so on foods you are choosing between.  That really tells a lot about what you're feeding your dog...

Good luck! :)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 11:03:55 pm by k2campbell »

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2006, 11:18:27 pm »
Samson came from the breeder or Iams Large Breed Puppy & he did o.k. on it but after much research I switched him to Premium Edge by Diamond...We never had firm stools on that so we went to Canidae & I am beyond pleased!!...My dogs eat less, poop less I we have firm stools!...Iams is a decent food but there are foods with better ingrediant list that are actually less expensive per pound...Good luck! :)

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2006, 07:40:24 am »
Oh  my LORD!!  I am so confused!!
And poor Kuma…if I take her off Iams then this will be her third change (Although they have been slow…) in 3 weeks.  Ugg…but I certainly couldn’t support Iams after reading the article and I have heard a lot about the canidea brand. 

Let me ask…when they say “all stages” does that mean it’s the same food for puppies.  In other words…I won’t be looking for a separate “puppy” brand??
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

-Ann landers

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2006, 07:45:47 am »
With Canidae the all stages would be what you want for her because it has the low protein level....It's for puppy through adulthood....a nd Kali's getting bored with Eukanuba so we may be switching to something else too.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties